1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

DEAN HOLDEN remains in the running & BEATS 10 to become BCFC Head Coach

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Jul 31, 2020.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

it is by no means uncertain that dean will not get the job ..the club does not want to upset the applecart to a degree that more than the odd apple drops off ………………………...

2. johngalleyfan2

yep would be happy, as there is no proof as the number 2 he failed with his aspect of the job. It wouldn't surprise me had he not been consulted as to whether he felt comfortable with how things were going...….
    they are in a flux of reinterviewing the main 3 contenders... to get a close match to existing set up

3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Put some money on him then. He’s 9/1 whilst Alex Neil is 11/10 without any press announcement.

4. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

There is proof he failed and there is also proof that the existing set up has failed in it's core objective.

RedorDead and Redprintt like this.
  5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Keith Millen all over again if this happens.

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Appointing Dean Holden would be an even bigger gamble than LJ - At le
    Where? The few games he had in charge with someone else’s squad?
    If that’s failure in your eyes then every manager in the entire league has failed - even Bailsa.
    Would you sack someone as soon as they lose or draw a game? Bloody hell!!!!!
    I’m not advocating employing Holden by the way (I think that would be a crazy risk) - just trying to understand how he ‘failed’ during his tiny tenure.

7. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The failure is a group failure, manager and coaches. That makes him and Mcallister part of the problem.

The coaching has been appalling, the only improvement IMHO is a slight improvement with Diedhiou.

They rarely had the look of a well coached side.

8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

The players deserve to be well coached by people they respect and I wonder if that credo was met over the last 3-4 years. I often wondered whether Lee truly had the players respect and when you look at our sold column it sort of tells me that our good ones couldn't wait to leave club. Our bank account got a boost from these sales but when I watch the play-offs I often wonder "what if"? As Jiffie said our downfall is a group failure and if you decide to keep some of those who contributed to that situation with the club in any capacity you have shown that the scenario is not going to change.

I would be totally surprised if we hire a new manager with the balls to say I think you need to change your philosophy otherwise you will assign yourself to permanent mediocrity, or worse. It's time for Bristol City to change and unless SL is prepared to re-write the playbook prior to the return of a normal life I think many will ask themselves why the hell should I bother?

brookksyboy39 and Jiffie like this.
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

If you are going to have a complets clear out of LJ and his coaching and support staff , root, tooth and branch ,you'll have to sack and replace this lot, all 26 of them ~

Head Coach: Lee Johnson
    Assistant Head Coach: Dean Holden
    Assistant Head Coach: Jamie McAllister
    Goalkeeping Coach: Pat Mountain
    Head of Performance: Andy Rolls
    Head Physiotherapist: Andrew Proctor
    First Team Physiotherapist: Gill Holt
    Team Doctor: Jonathan Williams
    Head of Fitness & Conditioning: Patrick Orme
    Head of Performance Analysis: Sam Stanton
    Kit Manager: Scott Murray
    Head of Communications: Dave Barton
    Supporter Liaison Officer: Jerry Tocknell
    Disabled Supporter Liaison Officer: Gareth Torpy
    Club Chaplain: Derek Cleave

Bristol City Academy

Academy Manager: Gary Probert
    Under-23 Coach: Alex Ball
    Under-18 Manager: Trevor Challis
    Loans Manager; Club Ambassador: Brian Tinnion
    Head of Recruitment: Damian Butt
    Head of Goalkeeping: Ali Hines
    Head of Sports Science: Stephen Taylor
    Lead Strength & Conditioning Coach: Hamish Munro
    Head of Medical: David Walker
    Head of Education: Thomas Harvey
    Head of Welfare: Peter Coleman
    Operations Manager: Emma Jolliffe

There is some great people there, surely they are not all to blame for our current demise.

10. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

You're right on that one Wiz and I wasn't aware that we had that many on the books who don't deserve the axe. I was only concerned about those who have a direct influence on training and the on-field dynamics.

11. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Who said bin them all?

12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I suppose it’s a case of ‘where do you draw the line’?
    Is an assistant head coach merely an extension of the main man? I’d say ‘no’, based upon Holden stopping the rot when LJ left and Pemberton doing the same when Cotts left.
    Again, I must reiterate that employing Holden would be the wrong thing to do in my opinion, but I dont think he’s done a lot wrong. A victim of circumstance perhaps.

13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

No one said bin them all but if it was a group failure, I have illustated the size of the group that supported LJ, which individuals in that group were responsible, which ones gave appalling coaching, who contributed to the problems, there are to many to name and as I have said there are some great characters in the mix.

14. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I don't see that this group and LJ was a failure by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, we didn't achieve the play-offs, but as a club, we are a million miles further on than when LJ took the reigns.

Such short memories from so many on here, sad really.

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot and exactly what I believe.

I have been saying for months now, that when the wheels come off and the "we were great in training", "we go again", "I will have to pick players who I can trust" BS doesn't work and the coach descends into publicly blaming players, there will always be a point at which players will say "and what have you done as a coach" it's inevitable.

That is why not only for his managerial record in this league but also because he can cut it in the respect as a player column Hughton or somebody of that ilk has to be the choice, because some of the cheap options will suffer the same respect issues, yet again it's inevitable.

I just also would like to play devils advocate and state, that if Hughton truly wants the job and doesn't get the job, he is head and shoulders above anybody else who has been so far mentioned, BAME footballers/coaches can quite rightly call into question why is it we don't get jobs, IMHO. I don't see that as a very good image for the club if Holden or any of the other cheap options get the job.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  16. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I don't see anybody with short memories, he had 3 full seasons and failed, nobody has been able to explain our annual January to the end of the season collapses and that ultimately cost him his job, even with slightly less of a collapse we could have made the play offs in each of the 3 seasons.

He has left us in a better position, that is true and I for one thank him for that, but he failed in his quest for a minimum of a play off place.

The coaching has been poor, one player this season has in my view made a slight improvement all others have not, they are at best same old same old.

17. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The main coaching staff are to blame, LJ, Holden and Mcalister. They ultimately oversee the training, they come up with selection, formation, tactics and substitutions etc. and all of that has been poor at least since January.

18. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

But Holden was there for the 3 seasons when the annual January rot set in, I think he has a case to answer.

19. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Do you know there is a bit of a twist to this tale, LJ gets the sack, McAlister remains and Holden is shortlisted for the top job, where is the justice?

20. johngalleyfan2

just the one at the top apparently …..