1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

De Gea? How good could he be?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Nomak, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Nomak

Nomak Member

Just read a really could write up from Gary Neville about the increasing good displays from our young number 1, and I must admit I was one of them who was thinking he couldn't cope with the physical demands of our league(glad to be proven wrong). Question marks where never in doubt about shot stopping(possibly best in the league, only Hart and Cech in line with him), but in the last month or so I've started myself noticing his raise in his game, against Madrid he was superb, his recent decision making has been vastly improved, he is now coming for corners and getting them. His last 2 games where against stoke(known for their ariel dominance and dealt with it superbly, then last night he got smashed by Carroll(not a sending off in my eyes, but yellow card though) then in the second half came for a cross against Carroll and took it superbly. All round im with Gary on this one, he is young but for me im glad we have him, and I dont see SAF buying in that position for a long time.

So what are your thoughts on this, stick with a great promising kid, getting better all the time or do we go buy in the summer(Begovic constantly linked)????

This is link to Neville's write up...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15130/8648490/Gary-Neville-hails-David-De-Gea-s-arrival-after-Andy-Carroll-battle

Attached Files:

2. Manobear

Manobear I love cheeseburgers

Why would we bring someone like Begovic, Mignolet etc. when we have a keeper who is better than both?

Sir Alex has stated a few times in the last few months that De Gea is his number one now and for the for see able future. With that said I agree with Neville as the West Ham game being a big test. They obviously set out to push De Gea around physically, and he didn't back down like he might of last year.

3. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's just the media spotlight - Utd keepers always get compared with great players like Schmeichel and VDS. Much harder to match those kind of standards than be compared to Tony Coton and Nicky Weaver. I guarantee you if we signed Begovic or Mignolet then the first time they made a mistake the media would be linking us to Neuer and Valdes.

I think it's still a bit early to pass judgement on De Gea. Remember he's only as old now as Cech was when he arrived at Chelsea, and Hart was when he was dropped for Given and loaned to Brum. And when Schmeichel was 22 he was playing in the Danish 2nd division.

I never had doubts about his ability to cope with the physical side of the league, only the mental side of playing for the biggest club under the harshest media spotlight. The big worry was always that he'd listen to the criticism and media demands for other players and would wilt. Thus far he's shown remarkable mental strength for a young lad, but the big test will always be when he has a spell of bad form and the criticisms come back. If he can get through that I think he'll end up getting close to Schmeichel and VDS standards, which is pretty much all you can ever ask for.

4. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

It does grate on me the way the media go cold when he's playing well and when he makes a mistake which all keepers do from time to time, out come the daggers. I suppose thats the downside to playing in goal for Man Utd.

5. Nomak

Nomak Member

Couldn't agree more with your posts, but especially about the Media, some right bloody sucking gits in that line of work!

6. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

I think he could be good at the following;

I bet he would be good at making paella.

fitting light bulbs. .

getting through small gaps in fences.

Think i got the wrong idea on this thread.

7. Giggsy_legend

Giggsy_legend Member

That's the key thing to remember with De Gea.... Goalkeepers don't generally peak until their 30's and will only get better with age. For De Gea to be number 1 for United at such a young age and still producing decent performances is amazing. He has the potential to be Utd's number 1 for the next 10-15 years.

8. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But how good could he be?

How good would the paella actually be? Really? How may De Geas would it take to change a light bulb? And just how small could the gap be?

Come on sweats, make more of an effort please <ok>

9. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

I think he'd be very good at changing light bulbs as he is tall.

he'd be very good at getting through fences as he is skinny.

he is bound to be good at making paella as he is spanish.

<ok>

10. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

Good at trying out Doughnuts?

11. Style

Style 'where is the love'

I don't ever imagine him to be much of a drinker though, so going round for paella might not be that fun.

12. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

spanish like a drink... they just do it better than we do.

the ****ers do shots with their breakfast..

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Much better.

I think it's fair to say he will always be **** a growing a beard <ok>

14. shwan

shwan Well-Known Member

well said <ok>

15. Manobear

Manobear I love cheeseburgers

Or he'll always be good at growing a **** beard. <ok>

16. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I think his shot stopping is already the best in the world, he just needs to improve on his decision making a little. Though that should come with time. Give it a couple more years and he'll be regarded as the best in the world :biggrin:

17. shwan

shwan Well-Known Member

can't agree more <ok>
    meanwhile i still have a big QS mark on his long term commitment to UTD , more with both Spanish giants seem to be interested on him

18. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good work Mano. Always focusing on the positives <ok>

19. Ryan_wfc

Ryan_wfc Member

I don't think he'll quite make it to best in the world. For me that will be between Courtois and ter Stegen, but he is obviously a top class 'keeper, and will only improve.

20. shwan

shwan Well-Known Member

Courtois better !!!? let him come to PL and suffer what Gea did and then come back to me saying who is the better one?
    ter Stegen is so young, same for Courtois tbh ... to say both will be world class is laughable as no one can say that at this stage of their career
    in the same logic, to say Gea will not make it is laughable too
    what i know is among those 3, only Gea had made it into a big club and it take a special player to be regular at a top club like UTD