1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

David McIntyre View on New Stadium Discussions

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by TootingExcess, Aug 5, 2014.

1. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

A very good article from David M on the Old Oak/Cargiant discussions:

In the developing battle for Old Oak Common, Cargiant are keen to show they mean business.

The car supermarket owns 45 acres of the site of QPR’s would-be sporting and leisure complex between Scrubs Lane – just up the road from Loftus Road – and Willesden.

And with Tony Mendes, Cargiant’s managing director, having recently labelled Rangers’ plans for the area as “speculative and presumptuous”, the company followed that up by announcing they have their own plan for the site – and it does not include a stadium for QPR.

Of course, this can be seen as inevitable posturing and all part of the process by which Cargiant, which must be relocated for the Old Oak development to happen, secure the best possible deal.

Full Article:

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/the-battle-for-old-oak-will-be-a-huge-opportunity-for-qpr-fans

He is going through the ongoing discussions/spat concerning the redvelopment, but with a good take on what fans can do to influence it.

2. TootingExcess

My own view is that if they are planning for New Queens Park to be completed by 2050 - then they need some gravity to pull development and investment for when its still a building site in the early years. Think Canary Wharf in 1990 - it was a ghost town.

The club should be pushing for the club to be catalyst for the renewal. I dont doubt the land is worth more to Cargiant for housing exclusively, but large developments like this need the bigger picture and its this aspect the club should be aiming at.

3. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

And to think Cargiant was our sponsor not that long ago.

I am not impressed and would certainly never take my business there.

4. Bush Rhino

Bush Rhino Well-Known Member

"Fernandes’ emphasis on glamour and global branding, as well as his tendency to tell the fans what they want to hear without always delivering, should – but generally doesn’t – set alarm bells ringing when it comes to the crucial issue of what the QPR of the future might resemble under his leadership."

In memory of Flyer.<rose>

5. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

The bit that I don't understand is that the redevelopment of the Old Oak area is seen as a strategic opportunity by the Mayor, local authorities and others. Surely it is understood that compulsory purchase of some land within the zone but not currently available is going to be inevitable. How else are they going to pull off a Canary Wharf style project? They surely can't envisage an enormous used car lot in the middle of the shiny new homes, offices and infrastructure. So when are Boris and H&F going to intervene and encourage Car Giant to start making alternative plans? If they can't settle this tiny spat there is no chance of pulling off a major redevelopment in NW London.

6. Bush Rhino

Warren farm was essentially scrapped over a few nimbi's objections and a changing political landscape, Old Oak could easily suffer a similar fate.

Who's to say how long the current mayor will hang around, and will the next one also believe in the project? one can only hope, because one things for sure I can't see a move on the cards in the next 5 years leaving our league ambitions where?

The board need to start coming up with plan's b, c & d in terms of infrastructure because the likes of Rio will be on TV when the contracts run out telling everyone how little has really changed from the 90's and how it's all talk, at which point we become an embarrassment to our sponsors who are of course also our owners, remind anyone of Caterham F1?

7. Chair Nob'll Fallout

Chair Nob'll Fallout Well-Known Member

Very well written and intelligent article from DM.

It's interesting to know that the "Mayoral Development Corporation, which mayor Boris Johnson wants to oversee the development of the land, working with the local authorities, will not be operational until April 2015". One thing that the article actually doesn't mention is that the newly elected Labour Hammersmith and Fulham council have recently come out against the whole idea of the MDC, which just makes the whole thing even more opaque and unpredictable.

From my point of view the recent quotes from Fernandes saying that he doesn't think that Warren Farm will now go ahead, and that anyway it isn't important were a major disappointment, and he lost a lot of credibility IMHO. He completely contradicts all his earlier remarks where he insisted that Warren Farm was actually more important than a new stadium.

Personally I think that the stadium still comes first. However, I also firmly believe that owing our own, well equipped, high-standard training ground, within our catchment area remains very important for our club. It would help us to attract good players, help to develop our own academy, and if we can get the local kids involved it might even increase our fan base. To turn around and casually say that the idea is now probably going to be dropped is a real backward step IMO, and will only serve to encourage the Nimbys who don't want us there. If it really is being dropped there should be an official statement from the club on it. If not, and we are still working to make it happen then I reckon Tony should keep quiet about it.

8. Bush Rhino

Anyone want their lotto numbers just ask !!

The day before he jumps I call it.

9. TootingExcess

you'd hope local politicians would be wary of pissing off a large number of football fans (and potential voters)

10. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Time will tell but my guess is we'll still be in the same seats at Loftus Road in ten years time...

11. DT Footspa

DT Footspa Well-Known Member

Seriously A football club V a private company selling over priced motors. Car Giant will be dead in ten years as people won't want these petrol driven second hand cars. Anyone looked at how the electric cars are growing?

There are two things that teh british public have learnt re cars

Don't ever use we but any car dot com and Car giant prices are way over the top ... they clean them granted by that's about all ... it's a volume game.

I purchased my last Espace from a company like many is taking the Car giant business model and now beating them at their own monopoly

12. rangerboy

rangerboy New Member

I honestly hope that we are out of loftus road within 5 years. Even if it means moving well out of London. I have no problem with it. We cannot survive at loftus road as top flight club. London or no London we need to get out.
    Supporters need to put sentiment one side and think about the greater good of the club.
    And to be honest loftus road is an absolute ****hole.