1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Danny Ward signs

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

29D013FB-B3B5-4D5C-B3A8-F8A6145AD38D.jpeg

He is Hamer’s replacement not Kasper’s. Club wanted Hamer to stay as we want 3 keepers

Hopefully we finally have some decent competition for Kasper

2. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

Shows how far we have come when we are paying 10 mil for a reserve

3. leicesterlove

leicesterlove Active Member

Good competition and eventually a good replacement, I hope.

4. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I really don't like this signing - we are paid stupid money for someone who just has experience in the Championship and unfortunately it is very likely he is being brought in as a replacement for Kasper.

Really hopeful he will prove me wrong but we could have brought in the likes of Butland for around the same price - rumours are he has a relegation release clause.

5. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Seems like a contingency signing to me incase Schmeichel bolts to Roma/Chelsea with 2 days left in the window.

6. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

... bit of perspective ... £12 million is not really stupid money these days ...

... as Proud says... not a replacement ... competition ... if Buckland is signed it will be as the Number 1 ...

Lad fits Puel's modus operandi ... young and ambitious and he had a great full season with Huddersfield where their most unlikely promotion was undoubtedly built on the strength of their defence ...

Shows how far we have come that we now have 3 full international keepers in the squad rather than the alarming prospect of Conrad Logan if Kaspar picks up a knock... :cool:

LeicesterWizard likes this.
  7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

wrong fosse.

12m for a 4th string keeper who has only played in the championship is stupid money.

Might as well have just got rui patricio on a free.

Case in point, City were haggling with you boys for Mahrez because they didn't want to pay 12m extra in Jan

8. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

I think they visage him being first choice at some point

9. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

People were saying that when we paid £17 m for a Championship defender Bobby ... latest offer £65 million ... <doh>

. Or £1 million for a non-league forward ... latest valuation £30 + million <doh>

Danny Ward is still young but already a full international ... Chelsea have paid more for kids that haven't even made a first team but it would be rather arrogant of me to say that you are wrong Bobby ... just that our scouting network has a pretty fine track record ... whereas your view is just that of a fan on a footie forum ... but thanks for the contribution, nevertheless ....

.... and RuiPatricio wages are likely very silly money indeed <cheers>

10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

what you reckon Patricios wages are? 80k a week? Presumably danny is on 20k (or more). At 60k extra a week, thats 3m a year over 4 years thats 12m which is the ward transfer fee.

With respect to your non league forward, you were in division 1? when you bought him and Maguire was already highly rated with what he did for Hull.

The other thing is, you plan on leaving Ward on the bench (unless you sell Kasper) so that's even more retarded considering you already have jakupovic for cover.

What you are doing is spending money in the wrong areas of the field

11. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

£12 m is nothing these days, relatively, Bobby ... and we sold Ben Hamer to Huddersfield and wanted to maintain 3 keepers ... we have already strengthened other areas and look likely to bring in at least two more new faces ...but thanks for your concern <laugh>

12. leicester_ed

Somehow I just think it will turn out to be a decent signing you know. I fully understand your point but it’s catch 22, on one hand you want decent back up but on the other you don’t want to splash out on someone who won’t play first choice. Finding a top 2nd choice keeper who wants to be a second choice isn’t easy and his reputation is very good. All it takes is one injury or huge bid for Kasper and Ward is a pretty key player for us

13. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Just look at Pope at Burnley .. if we'd paid £25 m then I'd be concerned ...but £12 is nowt to our owners and nowt by Prem benchmarks ...

14. leicester_ed

It’s not ‘nowt’, but it’s not huge and it means we are very comfortable should he actually have to play. Pointless signing a back up who you panic over if they actually have to play a game

15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

12m, isn't the biggest i agree but for a 4th keeper i don't understand why you paid so much.

The likes of proper keepers who have had years of experience haven't gone for that much and are decent:

Fabianski was 7m
    Dubravka at newcastle was 4.5m
    Sam Johnstone (up and comer no experience) was 6m.
    Ben Foster - 4m
    Lossl who was great at huddersfield - 2.3m
    Pantilimmon - 2m
    Lee Grant - 1.5m

Maybe, you'll have a blinder with him but i think you've been robbed personally.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

i agree, its not money wasted if you are comfortable with him playing.

However, no one here knows how good he is and Huddersfield who he did play for didnt feel it was necessary to bring him back in after than 1 season. Realistically i don't think anyone will know how good he is.

I could be totally wrong (as no one knows) but it doesn't bode well that he couldn't get in ahead of both Mignolet AND Karius who are both not spectacular themselves

17. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

He's young and ambitious and already a full International .... we also have Andy King at the club who will have seen him with Wales ... all I'm saying is that the fee will not be seen as a big gamble by the club's ownership ... he's a young keeper and will get better with age ... he'll only oust Kaspar on merit ... good luck to him.

18. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Leeds fans said Schmeichel wasn't worth £1.5m back in the day, though £12m seems alot for a current backup keeper, if the owners see as a long term replacement to Schmeichel (whether hes off this summer or next), it'll be worth it.

19. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Someone that has no links to the team you support, who played for a team you don't support has moved to another team you don't support.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Jack Lesterfan likes this.