1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Danny Ings

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Captain Morgan, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Just seen this http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddbal...ng-friendly-against-bournemouth#ixzz1U4zPbBdX

Nice cheeky work from the people at Palace! The interesting thing for me is the Bournemouth chairman's comments, and the figures connected with it. These are all a lot lower than I had heard. I had heard our first bid was £1mil, and we went back with a second bid when that was turned down. If something in the region of £1mil is likely to secure Ings, then we should go for him again. I was quite happy for us to leave it when I thought we were getting into the £2m territory, which is frankly too big a gamble for an unproven lower division striker, albeit one that I think has a great chance of making the step up.

Someone talked on another thread about sometimes seeing something in a player almost instantly. It was like that for me with Ings. He did something breathtakingly, nonchalently, extraordinary to beat a defender and create a shooting chance just a few minutes after coming on as a sub in his 4th or 5th ever league game (and the first one that I saw him in). Since then I've always enjoyed watching him play and always kept a particular eye on him. The boy can play, and would - in time - fill the AJ role in our current formation. Go on Jolly, offer them £1m and see what happens.

2. valjing

valjing Member

Captain
    Quite agree,a fee of no more than 1.5mil,and a percentage to Bournemouth, if we got a substantial
    moving on fee,well worth a punt.

3. Captain Morgan

You'd like him valjing, he reminds me of AJ...

4. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

5. valjing

valjing Member

Captain
    Do you mean AJ would put in performances like Ings,
    if he played in that division.

6. Captain Morgan

Touche!

For the record, Ings doesn't particularly remind me of AJ, I just couldn't resist the cheap joke. He would fill AJ's role inasmuch as he would be a partner for Bobby rather than a back up for him.

7. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Spend, spend, spend. Despite his rave reviews, AJ is at the root of Bobby's lack of impact.

Consider also how many non-scoring shots we have had on goal in the last 4 games - a staggering 8.

Just my opinion.

8. Captain Morgan

Just to add more all-but-baseless speculation to the mix, I notice that Ings didn't play and wasn't on the bench for Bournemouth's 5-0 win in the league cup last night. Other than that, they played pretty much the first choice in all positions, and Ings is definitely a regular starter. Could this be a sign that, for all their protestations, the club expect to sell him before the transfer window closes and don't want to get him cup-tied? Watch this space.

9. WhatDoesWoyWant?

How strange, I just looked at the match report on BBC and thought the same thing about him

10. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Has Captain tipped him the wink? Young Danny has said today on Sky Sports that he's 'disappointed at not having the opportunity to step up'.

11. Captain Morgan

There's a rumour going round that Reading are willing to pay the £1m that Bournemouth are looking for, bringing in Ings as a replacementfor Shane Long. That would make sense to me, but I'm still hoping that it's us who are about to bid for him.

12. WhatDoesWoyWant?

13. Captain Morgan

Well spotted WDWW.

It's a shame, but I think it may be a better move for Ings. I rate him, but I think he'll need time to adapt to the Premier League. He could be an instant success, but I suspect he'll have a longer learning curve than we are looking for at the moment. If he makes a success of things at Burnley and we were to go in for him in a couple of years, I'd be very happy with that. But right now we need a goalscorer.