1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic How Are You Celebrating Brexit Day ?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Oct 30, 2014.

1. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Oops, that shows how little attention I was paying. I had no idea she was ill :emoticon-0111-blush
    I thought her speech at the UN was well done.
    More genuine emotion shown than 10 minutes than in the last 10 years, in that chamber.

3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Poor Donald Trump.
    Now even his great buddy Kim Jong-un has turned against him again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50682235

It's a good thing Donald still has one staunch ally he can rely on when things get tough.
    No, not Boris - Vladimir Putin.

4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

This made me laugh too <laugh>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50681311

Corbyn pretending he's a friend of small businesses <doh>
    Big business & Jews BAD :emoticon-0130-devil Small business owners & workers (please vote for me) GOOD :emoticon-0131-angel
    Pull the other one Jezza, it's got sleigh bells on.

And by the way, don't forget to be up early on Crimbo morning to watch the Queen's Speech Comrade <ok>

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

What the f**k is wrong with 'Adopt Berkshire'?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-50674761

Pig ignorance and bare-faced racism from Conservative controlled Windsor & Maidenhead Council. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    But apparently they are "disappointed" at the verdict.

6. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Didn't Aung San Suu Kyi win a Nobel Peace prize?

I think it's time she handed it back.

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  7. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

So did Henry Kissinger.

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Great news for Brexit & getting it done <ok>

I read in the Currant Bun today the Boris plans to pass a law to make it ILLEGAL for the negotiating period to last longer than 11 months (after we leave the EU on January 31st).

This means no possibility of years and years of endless wrangling with the EU, who don't want us to leave and want to scupper a good deal so they can use the UK as an example, to scare other member nations who might think about following us out.

And it means NO DEAL is still on the table - to keep the EU negotiators focused on giving the UK a fair deal.
    It should never actually come to that.
    Two parties negotiating in good faith must be able to thrash out an acceptable deal.
    But the power has now shifted, from 99% in the hands of the EU to at least 50 / 50. A much better arrangement.

And the best thing of all?
    There is NOTHING the Brexit wreckers can do about it now. They have been rendered irrelevant by the Will of the People, in an Election they cannot simply ignore this time.
    John Bercow, Jo Swinson, Gina Miller - you've lost. So suck it up.

Hallelujah!! <cheers> <cracker> :emoticon-0157-sun:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  9. ForestHillBilly

Time for people on all sides to stop insulting each other. There were perfectly valid reasons for voting either way, and we're all in the same boat, however it works out.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  10. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

There seems an odd idea that people in parliament should vote in favour of what they are told by leavers, although for some reason, this never seemed to apply to Rees Mogg and the rest of the ERG collection, who voted various times against leaving. Boris Johnson walked out of Teresa May's cabinet because he didn't agree with the Brexit plan she was formenting, yet everyone else was supposed to suck it up.
    As FHB says, maybe tone down the insults a Little - the situation is far more complex. The fact is that the Conservatives can now go on and negotiate Brexit as they wiish. there are no excuses for any outcome, or any need to start yelling about the EU either. Why exactly Boris has now introduced a law preventing another Brexit extensión is odd to say the least. His party has a large majority - Labour and the LibDems cannot vote in an extensión without the aid of the Conservatives. Are we to understand that the Tories are likely to ask for one, and the PM needs a law to stop his own party asking for an extensión?

11. ForestHillBilly

I keep hearing Brexiteers saying that remainers "call us stupid". Emily Thornbury is even taking legal action against Caroline Flint for telling the Daily Borisgraph that she used that word. Yet ever since the debate began I've never heard a remainer say it, and I've been following the whole debate from the start. Someone, possibly the Sun, has been a bit mischievous in spreading the word, regardless of the veracity.

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Sorry chaps.

Please note;
    My last post did not refer to 'remain' voters at all. It was not targeted at decent, law abiding and democratic people who just wanted the UK to remain in the EU and voted that way back in 2016.
    My ire was targeted at the Brexit Wreckers.
    People who would not accept the result back in 2016, and so set out to nullify, discredit and stop it.

I have nothing against remain voters. I do have something against people who wanted to reverse the 2016 referendum decision by using parliamentary procedure, or the law courts, or a second rigged referendum.

Specific references to leave voters as 'stupid' or 'racist' are not easy to find.
    But there have been plenty of speeches by prominent remainers who talked about wanting a tolerant, inclusive, welcoming, kind, outward looking Britain.
    The first clear inference is that only 'liberal' folk and people with left leaning politics are capable of these feelings.
    The second clear inference is that 'leave' voters are intolerant, unwelcoming, inward looking, exclusive and unkind.
    In short, ignorant rand bigoted.

People don't like being labeled like that.
    And they just proved it last Thursday.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  13. ForestHillBilly

Since when there has been an upsurge in racist incidents.

14. ForestHillBilly

Bang on cue, a remainer phones LBC to call Brexiteers stupid, followed by another remainer who attacked the previous caller for using the s-word.

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Racists hide behind the excuse of national pride. The far right shames our country as much as Corbyn's far left does.

The upsurge in racism over the last three and a half years is terrible. It smears all 'leave' voters.
    Perhaps it would not have been quite so awful if the decision of the 2016 referendum had been implemented by Cameron within 12 to 18 months (a reasonable time frame). But Cameron showed no leadership. He skulked away, a spineless coward.
    The Country has been paralysed ever since. A situation made worse by May's decision to hold a GE in 2017, and then two and a half years of Parliament opposing the people it should serve.

Thankfully our democracy has survived. But plenty of damage has been done.
    Now at least things will get moving again.

16. ForestHillBilly

Let's hope Brexit goes well. If, as Johnson keeps saying, it will "unleash" everyone's talents we will be better off and I will happily say that I got it wrong when I voted remain. I've never self-identified as a Remainer, and don't get how people do self-identify according to how they voted in 2016, but they do, in the most vociferous terms. If on the other hand it doesn't go well, then the issue won't go away, why should it? Que sera sera.

17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Many 'leave' voters self-identify (does that mean they openly say they are leave voters?) vociferously, because they were denied what they voted for even though they were in a clear majority.

Unlike in your average General Election, where many manifesto pledges are eventually watered down or forgotten about, 2016 was a single issue vote.
    LEAVE or REMAIN.
    It has taken 43 months and a General Election to deliver the winning result from 2016 - with anther 11 months of negotiation ahead before it is finally over.
    Enough to try the patience of most Saints I would think.
    Any lack of vociferousness among remain voters could well be down to embarrassment on their part.

Still, things are moving again, so all's well... <hug> <peacedove>

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Plenty of sour grapes from the surviving bad losers in the Commons today :emoticon-0113-sleep

Ranting and squealing as if Boris just staged a military Coup rather than get his Government elected with a huge majority.
    Banging on about their precious values, regardless of the rejection of them by the people (who they regard as ignorant racists).
    Guardian readers <laugh>

The SNP, Labour bleeding hearts and Lib Dems (all 11 of them) can wail all they want. Boris has the luxury of being able to ignore their wittering.
    Time to get some things done <ok>

19. ForestHillBilly

If Corbyn had won the election I can't imagine that everyone would have said they were happy to accept the democratic result.

20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I imagine there were a fair number of opposition MP's who maintained their dignity and did not embarrass themselves with infantile wailing.
    Those members won't have got any airtime though.

Name calling such as "Trumpite" and "Hard-right" trotted out by the Guardian readers only went to show how immature they are.
    If any of them had knocked on doors in the former Red Wall constituencies, they would know how far out of touch they are with anybody outside their leafy suburban intellectual bubbles.

But they didn't. So they still believe they are have a superior morality, and anybody who doesn't agree with them is an ignorant peasant.
    They got the result their arrogance deserves.