1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic How Are You Celebrating Brexit Day ?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Oct 30, 2014.

1. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

His drinking habits do seem to resemble @Beware of the Virus 's

Clb74 and DickPlumb like this.
  2. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Good old Nigel, he keeps on re inventing himself.

3. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Parliament has now been smoked out.

First, they demanded and got the right in 2017 to veto any Brexit deal - effectively the right to veto Brexit.
    That was never mentioned in the 2016 referendum.
    Everybody understood that the job of our politicians would be to find a way to make Brexit happen, should there be a majority voting to leave.
    Parliament has manifestly failed in that duty. Instead it believes it has the right to reverse and nullify the referendum decision.

Second, they have clearly demonstrated (again and again) that they can only find a majority to block deals and progress, never to agree a single option going forward.

Third, they have denied the people the opportunity of judging them in a General Election.

Theresa May had a deal. The EU were happy with it, the EU Parliament would have approved it. The UK Parliament rejected it.

Boris Johnson now has a deal. The EU are apparently happy with it, the EU Parliament will approve it. The UK Parliament will reject it.

If the 80% remain UK Parliament kills this deal, I believe there will be a backlash against them from the British people the like of which they have never seen before. When the General Election comes there will be payback and then some.
    If Parliament dares to offer us a 'People's Vote' there will be utter chaos.

Our politicians have failed us, and they have failed democracy. They are in contempt of the people.
    I think millions of people in this country, myself included, may never vote again, or have any faith in a democratic future.
    This era will be looked back upon as the lowest point in centuries for our political history. A shameful time.

4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I don't approve of violence, but what the hell did those ER idiots think was going to happen if they tried to glue themselves to the tops of tube trains, and during rush hour, for f*cks sake.
    The volunteers they mugged into this latest action are beyond naive and beyond stupid.

If they carry on behaving like this some of them are going to be killed, not just beaten up a bit.
    And the lives of the people who kill them are going to be destroyed as well.

It's no surprise at all that (like every other extremist organisation) it isn't the leaders of ER who risk their lives. They have an army of well groomed and fanatical followers to do that for them.
    They are criminals and cowards, and in a disturbing way now they can also be thought of as terrorists.
    Sabotaging tube trains is an insanely dangerous thing to do. Those berks who got a beating now need long prison sentences.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Beautifully put, Lardi <applause>

deleted..... and lardiman like this.
  6. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

If you're going to sup with the devil make sure you use a long spoon.

7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Just a short reminder to our politicians before tomorrow;

"Referendum" means a vote by the people - not parliament.
    Parliament was never asked whether or not it wants to leave the EU, because everyone knows it has a built-in 80% remain majority.
    They would see Hell freeze over before voting to leave the EU.
    And it will prove that again tomorrow when it votes down the new deal.

But - shock horror - 80% of the people did not vote remain.
    From a very high turnout, the majority of the people who voted back in 2016 voted to LEAVE.
    The task and duty of Parliament was to implement that decision, not reverse it.

Parliament serves the people of this country. It does not rule them, despite what it thinks.

If we must have a 'People's Vote' the options on it should be
    A) Leave - with Boris' new deal
    B) Leave - with no deal
    There is no place on another referendum ballot paper for 'Remain'. That was rejected in 2016.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read today in the Currant Bun that "a study" has shown drinking one glass of red wine per day is worse for you than binge drinking.

This is so obviously stupid and wrong, whoever came up with it should be sent back to school to learn basic science and biology again.
    Also, they should be shown the real damage to real people that binge drinking causes.
    No way could they ever show worse cases involving folk who have never drunk more than one glass of red win per day.
    What utter prats.

Ponders Revisited likes this.
  8. ForestHillBilly

A dose of reality in the Momentum front bench: Keir Starmer talking about 10 years of a Johnson Government, and the front bench u-turning towards a referendum before a GE. Hopefully the Corbyn experiment is on its last legs.

9. DickPlumb

As a remainer I wanted us to stay in Europe. But the majority wanted us to leave. Johnson has got a deal, little better than Mrs May's deal. It would not be good to leave under no deal. The politicians have got to deliver the people's wishes and pass the deal on Saturday.
    The alternative is an awful impasse. It has got to happen now.

Ponders Revisited and lardiman like this.
  10. ForestHillBilly

There will be huge celebrations and back-slapping if it does, Johnson will be a hero. The euphoria will gradually die down, and then we will see who benefits from B****t.

11. DickPlumb

I don't think Parliament will pass it.

12. ForestHillBilly

Unless they shake the money tree and find a few billion for the DUP.

13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I don't think so either.

Johnson's lot will doubtless try to buy off the DUP and other doubters with promises of boundless wealth for everyone if Parliament backs the deal.
    But I don't think many will be taken in.
    So the deal will die, Johnson will be forced to ask for an extension, and the EU will grant it - as the only alternative is a no-deal Brexit at Halloween.

That will clear the way for a vote of no confidence and a General Election at the end of November.
    If Parliament won't vote for a General Election it will sink to even lower depths of shame, something I previously thought impossible.
    Any kind of trumped up left-wing 'Government of National Unity' will be nothing short of a Coup d'état.

A 'People's Vote' is also a total non-starter.
    The EU has been round the block twice now. I cannot believe it will negotiate with a self-appointed Rainbow Alliance headed by Corbyn.
    If it does, and accepts their surrender terms (remain in all but name) there will be riots on the streets, and the considerable number of British anti-EU MEP's will go to war with the EU and cripple it, backed by every Leave supporting UK voter.

So without their own Surrender deal, the lefties will have nothing to put on the ballot paper except remain.
    Even they aren't quite crackpot enough to hold a referendum with one choice on the ballot paper.
    That really would be Stalinist.

So I think the most likely outcome now is a late November General Election - assuming MPs have even one shred of integrity left between them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  14. DickPlumb

I agree with most of what you say @lardiman but I don't like your dismissive use of the term lefties.

Ken Shabby and ForestHillBilly like this.
  15. ForestHillBilly

Jon Lansmann states that any Labour MP who supports the Johnson bill will be deselected. Stalinist or what. Corbyn voted against Labour more times than Cameron, lucky for him the party was more tolerant then.

lardiman likes this.
  16. DickPlumb

I really don't agree with that.

17. ForestHillBilly

Having seen more of the deal, I think this is nailed on. I don't know why the EU agreed to it, since it could result in a no-deal Brexit in a year's time. I don't know why Farage is against that.

18. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I don't think Parliament would pass it even then.

19. ForestHillBilly

Too many red lines from different factions. It will be close though.
    A General Election would probably deliver a Parliament which would get the deal over the line. The consolation for me would be the end of the Corbyn experiment.

20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

It's a bad habit I have got into.
    I really meant Guardian-reading middle class liberal types who are just as intolerant as anybody else but are in denial about it, and think they are morally superior to the rest of us because of their supposed liberal values, and so can tell us all how to live our lives. ER sympathisers too, most of them.
    'lefties' took less time to type.

I used to be a leftie (in the more original sense) myself.
    Voted Labour until Blair came along, then switched to Jimmy Goldsmith's Referendum Party, and UKIP after that.
    Have never voted Tory.