1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic How Are You Celebrating Brexit Day ?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Oct 30, 2014.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

There’s no “Brexit swerve”.

It’s actually very simple now - we leave on 31 Oct on WTO terms. The Government will probably fall at this point and we will have a General Election. 45% will coalesce around the 2 party’s that supported No Deal - if the Brexit Party still stands, which they may not.
    The EU can go swivel for their £39 billion, and we will be out.

For many many people leaving the EU was about quality of life issues as much as economics - there is far too much rubbish in this country now as a result of EU immigration. That will now mercifully end.

Ponders Revisited and Smudger603 like this.
  2. User deleted as requested

Rubbish.

On a personal level, you’ve got more front than Blackpool promenade, lecturing those of us who live work and pay the top rate of tax in the UK while you have scarpered & lecture from afar.

I won’t be responding again as I am getting p1ssed off.

This is a football forum, not an outlet for the Daily Mirror’s editorials.

3. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

Royston couldn’t handle a debate with @Mystic Shabbs so deleted the thread. I’ve decided to reinstate it.

4. User deleted as requested

You flounced off this site a couple of weeks ago after DM’ing people about @lardiman ?

I’m just trying to prevent arguments on this site.

Best to stick to football - even if you only post twice a year.

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is, but usually it's a forum about Elfs.

6. User deleted as requested

@DonCorleone is a wind up merchant :emoticon-0148-yes:

Best we stick to football on the balance of things, we don’t want to lose any more members.

7. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

If discussing Brexit is going to lose the forum members then I don't mind leaving it alone.

It would be good to be able to debate subjects other than the primary one that brings us together (being Charlton fans) but it's not essential. I'll not mention it again for the good of the forum.
    There'll be plenty of CAFC related stuff to talk about soon anyway...

Maybe this thread should just be renamed 'snippets' again and we can all move on.

8. ForestHillBilly

The Don did DM me, but didn't mention Lardi by name. I am pretty sure he didn't DM anyone else. I mentioned this to the Mod to explain why I didn't expect we'd be seeing Don again, and this is probably what Royston is referring to.

9. User deleted as requested

I suggest we all have a holiday and come back when we have some football to talk about.

10. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Sorry guys but I just had to post because of something I just saw on the BBC breakfast news.
    A remainer "human interest" piece about a Scotsman who has lived in Germany for 40 years and is now a Burgermeister in a town there.

The tragedy being described is that after a no-deal Brexit this plucky Scot will lose the automatic right to live and work in Germany.
    Unless ... he claims dual citizenship.

His reason for refusing to take this option? Wait for it... "I'm a Scotsman and always will be" <laugh>

Why would taking dual citizenship make him any less of a Scotsman?

Why does he expect to enjoy all the privileges of being an EU Citizen (which apparently he does not feel reduces his identity as a Scotsman) but suddenly come over all patriotic when somebody suggests he can continue with every aspect of his German life if he simply claims German citizenship without renouncing his UK citizenship?

The report then attempted to pluck the heart strings of misty eyed remainers by implying that after October 31st this man will be forced to give up his life as a Burgermeister and leave Germany.

Utter rubbish. He is not being forced to do anything.
    All he has to do is claim duel citizenship, which is a mere formality for him since he has lived in Germany for 40 years, has a business there and speaks fluent German (another thing he does not regard as diluting his identity as a Scotsman).
    If he refuses to choose the dual citizenship option then he is choosing to end his German life and work. Nobody is forcing him to.

Just the latest non-story being promoted by the remain dominated BBC.

PS:

I won't fuel another running argument on Brexit by replying in a hostile manner to any responses to this post.
    I just had to get this off my chest... :emoticon-0109-kiss:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  12. ForestHillBilly

Can I suggest that this thread is closed? The forum has been much better without it.

Ken Shabby and DickPlumb like this.
  13. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Now we will see if the Queen is a Brexiteer or a Remoaner…. <whistle>

14. ForestHillBilly

In 2016 The Sun gave us the news that she was a leaver.

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

England's Parliament has shown it will go to any lengths necessary to protect itself, including deposing a reigning monarch and chopping his head off.

You really know your country has joined the Third World when you begin to wonder who the Armed forces will support if there's a breakdown of the Constitution and no Government. I found myself wondering this just yesterday.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

If I was one of these new anarchists (anti-globalisation, or extinction rebellion etc.) or just a criminaI who fancies a few weeks of looting and lawlessness, I would be planning right now to spark riots across the UK on October 31st that will make the disturbances in 2011 or the early 1980's look like a good-natured disagreement over jam recipes at the WI.

This is an open goal for people like that.

17. ForestHillBilly

The debate has unfortunately spilled over to another thread. The whole debate is so tribal now. People have taken sides, and have incorporated "Brexiteer" or "Remainer" into their sense of identity. A recent survey showed that something like 40% of parents would be reluctant to accept one of their offspring dating someone from the opposite tribe. This is madness, what has happened to our country? It's only a matter of people forming a different judgment over what is best for the country. I blame Dodgy Dave, who set it all in motion then bailed out when it came to the tricky bit. He gave the choice between In or Out, as though it was very simple, when it clearly isn't. I must say he looks very well these days, probably chillaxing while the country descends into civil war.

DickPlumb likes this.
  18. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Great speech from the Labour MP calling out Johnson for his racist views. I have never seen MPs applaud a speaker before.

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The outcome is certain now.

With no-deal now illegal, the only resolution is to revoke Article 50.

Parliament is 80% remain. They will never vote through a deal unless it says the UK will remain in all the EU institutions, for ever. Only a bare-faced liar would even try to claim that is what 52% of the British people voted for in 2016.
    So it's time to forget the referendum and do the right thing for the UK economy.

The uncertainty of endless delays, while ever more concessions are offered in a surrender process lasting years, will cost more jobs and damage the economy more gravely than a no-deal exit on October 31st.

So accepting that democracy in this country is now dead, I think the only way to save people's jobs and get other business done (trivial stuff like housing, education, health, social care etc) is for Corbyn's rainbow alliance to revoke Article 50 immediately.

20. ForestHillBilly

The debate has unfortunately spilled over to another thread. The whole debate is so tribal now. People have taken sides, and have incorporated "Brexiteer" or "Remainer" into their sense of identity. A recent survey showed that something like 40% of parents would be reluctant to accept one of their offspring dating someone from the opposite tribe. This is madness, what has happened to our country? It's only a matter of people forming a different judgment over what is best for the country. I blame Dodgy Dave, who set it all in motion then bailed out when it came to the tricky bit. He gave the choice between In or Out, as though it was very simple, when it clearly isn't. I must say he looks very well these days, probably chillaxing while the country descends into civil war.
    The House applauded Hilary Benn when he made a speech on foreign policy. I listened to his opening speech today, most impressive. The membership would never have as leader, what a pity.

Ken Shabby likes this.