1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cup vs, league dilemma?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Obi Wan, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

So, with a very busy December fixture list and our pile of injuries, what are your views on the cup match next Wednesday?

On one hand, we have a great chance to get ourselves into the semi-finals. On the other hand, we need our players fit for a challenging month in the league - not least the derby match next Sunday.

So, if you were the manager, what would you do?

A). Concentrate on the league and give the lads the best possible chance to have a strong line-up vs the Mackems. Rest a few for the cup and bring in young lads who have barely featured yet, 'hoping' they do well.
    OR
    B). Say "To hell with it, we have a chance of pushing for a cup for once, let's go for it!" Play the best XI available and worry about the derby match when it comes.

Before anyone gives Pardew any stick when he picks his team & tactics, let's see how many of us can agree on this point.

Ordinarily, I'd say go for the cup. We look relatively 'safe' so a cup run would be fantastic. But given our current injuries and the derby match next weekend, I think I would currently be inclined to rest a few vs Spurs instead. Thoughts?

2. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

I originally thought go for the cup and worry about the derby match afterwards. My only problem with that though is if the Mackems happened to beat us again then all hell will break loose. We can only take defeats by the unwashed so many times and because we will be missing key players at Spurs, making our task more difficult, then I have to go with Mackems being the more important game.

3. Obi Wan

This was my thinking too! If it were any other match, I'd go for the cup and potentially sacrifice a poor league performance - seeing as we are not flirting with the relegation zone. BUT it's Sunderland FFS! We need our strongest XI for that one.

4. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

The way I see it with players seemingly getting injured or suspended every match we may as well just play the strongest XI for all of them. After all we have no idea who's going to be available for selection on a week by week basis.

5. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I'd go all out to win.

If we do win.. My ass will be all out.

6. Obi Wan

You'll be in Fenwick's day and night for a whole month at this rate.

7. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Got to agree that I would have happily sacrificed any other fixture to get to the semi's.

As it is, I think we need to have faith in ourselves: play the strongest 11 against Spurs and play them again against the Mackems. Two matches is 4 days isn't that huge an ask, and if turning in two performances means we're gassed for the following matches then that's a price we pay.

Aim to be two goals up against spurs by the hour mark so we can give a couple of players an early night: if not, then damn the torpedos.

8. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Watch this space... I know a lass who works at Fenwicks now...

9. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

We have to play our strongest 11 against Spurs even if it harms our chances in the derby. The cup is an opportunity for silverware which we desperately need. In my lifetime we have been the top dogs overall in the derbies by quite a distance but we've never been given a trophy for it. Yes I want to put an end to their 3 in a row and put them back in their place, but I believe we are a bigger club than having to worry about how another team's fans perceive us more than we worry about winning silverware.

If we lose the derby then a lot of fans will get on Pardew's back regardless of how we have done in the cup (or in other league games). In my opinion they are the ones who should have a long hard look at themselves. We've criticised the club for not prioritising cups before, and rightly so. That doesn't change just cos the game after is against the mackems.

10. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Hopefully, Pardew will pick teams capable of winning both games and we don't look back afterwards with regrets.

11. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think we have to play each game on its merits. The chance of a League cup semifinal shouldn't be passed up but might switch Colback for Abeid and save Colback for Sunderland.

So my teams for the next few days

Arsenal
    Alnwick
    Janmaat Coloccini Dummett Haidara
    Cabella Tiote Colback Ameobi
    Cisse Perez

Spurs
    Alnwick
    Janmaat Taylor Dummett Haidara
    Sissoko Abeid Tiote Cabella
    Perez Riviere/Armstrong

Sunderland
    Alnwick
    Janmaat Coloccini Taylor Haidara
    Sissoko Abeid Colback Ameobi
    Perez Cisse

Can't see how we can play Coloccini and Cisse in all 3 games. Although Cisse keeps scoring he doesn't look fully fit. His running style is very unusual. Looks like his knee locks every other stride!

I would love to play Coloccini against Spurs but think its pushing it. He just provides a calming influence to whoever he plays with and I think both Dummett and definitely Taylor need him around.

They might be all knackered by the time the Utd game comes around but the Mrs has now insisted we go off on holiday over Christmas so I wont be going to that one anyway!

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Strongest xi for Sunderland. Matters not as the powers that be have already laid out guidelines regarding cups...

13. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Best team we can against the spuds. I would bloody love a trip to Wembely. Derby will look after itself. Players will be revved up regardless.

14. 2010 tops dog

2010 tops dog Well-Known Member

Play kids in cup as we ain't going to win it thanks to the shame of an excuse for a strong squad we need to worry about staying up, the derby can only be one outcome and nothing more than a home win but you know that will not happen😔

15. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.