1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

This is Cross Channel Stuff, Cardiff & Connected Banter Thread.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Oldsparkey, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Now come on now ROD - be nice..........<laugh>

With 4 gone and 42 to go, only an idiot would take anything for granted at this stage - and I'm no idiot (officially anyway <laugh>)

I can also remember you lot taunting us when we were facing winding up petitions and points deductions when we were in deep **** back in the Ridsdale years, so no offence meant or taken pal.

Anyway, I mentioned Robin Friday in my last post, so here goes - just for you...................

please log in to view this image

RedorDead likes this.
  2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

You got the man too take you up.

3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

What's Elvis doing in a Cardiff shirt?

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Still early to say, and usually you get a reasonable idea of the division by 10 games, however there does seem to be a bit of a mash up at the moment with the early season "favourites" stumbling over their first few games who had PNE near the top for instance....
    Both teams can finish in top half, but who is highest well lets let the next 38 games decide that...

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

JG2 - if you look at the OP, I said "let's just have a look at the first half of the season up till the New Year". It was about the relative positions we would be in at the half way point and the attitude of the respective owners to it and our managers at the opening of the January transfer window.

You've had a few good results lately that have brought you way above my suggestion that you'd be a bottom 6 candidate by then, but equally I was told in no uncertain terms by a few on here that no way were we a "top 6 club".

Despite the results of the last 3 games for each of us, I stand by my contention we'll be in the top 6, but if you replicate your recent form, I'm coming around to the idea that you might escape the bottom 6 category I suggested in the OP.

Not the 38 games to go till then as you suggest, just another 17 will take us up to the January window opening - let's see what happens. <ok>

6. johngalleyfan2

the season is not 23 games long! it is 46 and as we all know a team at the halfway stage in bottom 6 can get in to the premiership and a team near the top 6 can finish up just avoiding relegation...
    I have never been one to look at the short term, although I do "predict what might happen in the next few games occasionally" ... but that is not what the end result is... OK Christmas or just after might be a good point to review but it simply means we [both] have done well or need to do better... hopefully we have and you need! :emoticon-0105-wink:

7. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Predictions can make fools of us all - plenty of time for us to plummet into the bottom 6 and Cardiff out of the top 6! <laugh>

We ourselves made a good start last season, only for it to fall to pieces in spectacular fashion (starting with our 2-1 defeat in Cardiff - NW's first game I think!), so there's certainly an air of caution, but at the same time, it does feel as though we're better prepared this time. The squad's a good size i.e. healthy competition for places/cover for injuries, and there are quite a few players in good form.

I would never underestimate Cardiff's ability, particularly under Warnock, but I was surprised with the extent of your blistering start. The last three games have set you back slightly, but the late goals against Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday is typical of the grit of Warnock teams, and those two extra points that could easily have passed you by could be invaluable - I think the PNE game can be written off as 'one of those days'.

This'll make a long post, but here are my thoughts as of today regarding both our sets of fixtures, starting with Cardiff:

Sunderland: I think you guys are playing them at a good time - I think they'll get their act together at some point, but currently they still seem a bit punch-drunk from their dismal relegation, so likely win for you.

Leeds: They're seemingly in the promotion race this year, so that's likely to be a humdinger and a real indication of your credentials - draw maybe?

Derby: Depend on which version turns up (we faced the slow, flat-footed version!).

Birmingham: Could be very interesting, depending on who's appointed. It's far enough away that the new man will have enough time to get his message across, but not so much to allow much analysis by your scouts. Don't be surprised if it's Steve Cotterill!

Middlesbrough: Slightly underwhelming, given they were favourites at the start of the season, but a tough test at the Riverside for anyone - any point earned for visitors is a bonus.

Millwall: Underestimated, due to being one of the promoted teams. Results haven't matched their performances, until they beat Leeds recently - this may be a lot tougher than you'd expect.

Ipswich: They've made a good start, but I expect that to peter out soon. I just don't think they have the depth to maintain their form for the long term and even by the end of October I expect results to be harder for them to come by, so one of the games I'd put money on you winning.

Bristol City: Well... who knows? At this stage I'll say we'll have a good first half and take the lead, then fade, then Sol f***ing Bamba to score a late equaliser and then panic stations at the end. Could be a particularly exciting derby this year.

Brentford: A good footballing side, but lost their previous star player Jota to Birmingham, so it could be that they're in for a tough season. They do have a rather tasty young forward Ollie Watkins (who turned us down) who seems a real talent, so maybe they already have their replacement.

Barnsley: Barnsley seem to have a Rocky Balboa style ability to survive when the odds are against them. I expect Cardiff to be savvy enough to win, but, like Millwall, this might be trickier than you'd expect.

Nottingham Forest: I don't think they'll be involved in the relegation fight like last season, but I'm not yet convinced they have what it takes for the top 6. Being at the County Ground might be enough for them to earn a point off you.

Norwich. A poor start, but they've recorded several clean sheets in a row now, so could be they're getting their act together. Not likely enough to earn points in Cardiff though.

Reading: One of the hardest to predict, but I'd suggest they'll have 70% or so possession and you lot win 1-0, with Stam complaining about that fact whilst Warnock laughs.

Hull: Another hard one to judge - they'll either be terrible and you'll win comfortably, or decent but you still you squeak by.

Bolton: They're better than Rotherham were last season, but if they avoid relegation, it'd surprise me. 3 points to you.

Fulham: I think they'll be up for this after you 'mugged' them of two points. A real battle and another draw methinks.

Preston: Your bogey team! I think you'll have too much desire to right the wrongs of the reverse fixture for them to keep you out, but they are genuinely a good team, under a manager with something to prove. A narrow win, but easily could be a draw.

...I reckon you'll earn in the region of 30 - 35 points, so a total of 47-52, which at that stage would likely be well in the playoff spots, maybe even top two. I'll do ours in another post...

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Sorry JG" - you're missing the whole point of the thread.

The OP was posted - please read the bloody thing! - on the basis of what would happen by the New Year (next transfer window opening) and what would then be the attitude of the respective owners if the scenario I suggested actually happened.

I went on to predict a top 6 position for us and a bottom 6 position for you based upon what I understood at the start of the season.

I further asked what your opinions would be re the owner/manager situation at each club would be given our plight at the start of last season and your plight toward the end of it.

Nick - just saw your post after JG2's - I'll have to read it first and get back to you - give me half an hour.......<laugh>

RedorDead likes this.
  9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

...continued - City's fixtures:

Norwich: As above, they're now recording clean sheets - I'd like to think we'll end that run, but a 1-1 draw seems highly possible

Bolton: At home, you'd like to think we'll win this. Any points dropped will be referred to come the season's end.

Ipswich: Draw maybe?

Burton: Not to be written off (as Cardiff know in the Cup - though they threw that in order to focus on the League right?! :emoticon-0105-wink:), but surely they'll fall through the trap door this year and we should win this.

Leeds: Very tough - loss or draw.

Sunderland: Come late October they'll probably be a vastly different proposition to now and they'll likely beat us.

Fulham: Tough, talented side. Loss

Cardiff: As per last post

Sheffield Wednesday: Another toughie - it's occurring to me that late October early November is nasty for us. Loss

Preston: Draw, but maybe we can win it? Defeat would be disappointing (if it isn't always!).

Hull: Being away, I'll say draw or narrow defeat.

Middlesbrough: Being home, I'll say draw or narrow defeat(!).

Sheffield United: Dark horses so far. I think they'll fade a bit, but continue to be a challenge anyone, particularly at home. Draw

Nottingham Forest: We generally do well against them at home - we can win this.

QPR: Not likely to pull up any trees this season, so draw, possibly win.

Reading: Out for revenge and good enough to get a point.

Wolves: I think they have the potential to win the league, provided they can shore up their defence. Loss, maybe draw.

..So I reckon we'll get 15-20 points, making a total of 28-33 and around 13th-15th place. I've maybe been a bit negative to help protect me from disappointment though!

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Bloody hell Nick - that's a very impressive analysis of both our upcoming fixtures to the New Year. <applause>

If we get anywhere near the points prediction bracket you've got us down for by the end of December, we will definitely push on. Getting 50 points on the board by the New Year would be orgasmic to most of us.....<laugh>

I think the most difficult to predict is actually the next one up at Sunderland. Tan has put on a plane for the team to fly up inside an hour instead of a 6/7 hour coach trip so we should be fresh enough, but we've lost that early season hard edge in midfield.

It's alright knocking players off the ball (fairly mind :emoticon-0105-wink:), but you have to do something with it when you've got it. Tomlin may still be an answer, but up at the SOL, I'd stick with new boy Craig Bryson. If we get that back on track we'll be OK both at the back and upfront despite the relatively low key involvement of Zohore so far.

Incidentally, Warnock has just stated that if we're not in the top 8 or so by Christmas, he will sell Zohore - that has come as a bit of a shock though it could be just Warnock mind games.

As for you lot, you have it in your own hands given the recent great upturn in results. Your predictions look pretty pessimistic to me as an outsider. I think we can both beat Leeds and Ipswich - neither team is as good as their early season results would suggest.

If as you suggest you do get only around 30 points on the board by then, you could easily be sucked into that mini league of 6 that usually forms at the bottom of the table well before Easter.

11. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I'll admit, when on the fence between results I tended to ratchet yours up and ours down - just a defence mechanism against disappointment I guess! There is a good vibe on this side of the bridge at the moment, but we were badly burnt last season after early optimism, so we don't want to get carried away.

So far I think only Wolves have shown glimpses of being a team capable of pulling away from the rest, but even then, their defence isn't good enough - their style may sacrifice goals conceded for goals scored, but even so...

I do think there's a real opportunity for the likes of Cardiff to press on. Regarding Warnock on Zohore, I hadn't read that, but as much as it's likely to be mind games, it could also be the conditions of a 'deal' brokered between him and the owner. If rumours of a £17m-ish bid for him were true, it could well have been that the owners thought 'from a business-sense, we'd ought to cash in', but obviously, on the playing side, it'd make a considerable dent on your chances of promotion, which would make £17m look like peanuts when considering the additional revenue on offer. Maybe Warnock persuaded them to give the team a chance to show they could challenge, but if they weren't in a realistic position to do so come January, then he'd relent, see the season through and then re-invest that money for another assault next season.

In theory, that's a good balance to strike and sound logic, but it does put the pressure on to maintain the form - the question is whether it's a healthy pressure than inspires, or a negative one that disheartens. Zahore's agent seems hell bent on getting him moved on, but it's never the right thing for a player not to give their all on the pitch.

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Prepare to be bombarded with maths, riddles and fancy colours <laugh>

NickH likes this.
  13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Just resurrected this thread from the first day of the season - it was an interesting chat at the start of the season with some great viewpoints.

Well I was half right anyway - at least we're in the top 6 as I said, but totally wrong about you - about 20 table places wrong!

A lot of you guys didn't agree and thought we had no chance, but most of you didn't see your excellent first half coming either - neither did I.

Read back at some of the posts and reflect - any new ideas about the second half of the season?

14. johngalleyfan2

well I didn't join in straight away, sometime about 10th game and made 2 comments

well we have done well but the hard bit has to come.... the run in!

although I say it myself it was a fairly accurate interpretation of the situation after 10 games... 23 played and Hull Sunderland Norwich Reading and Sheff Wed struggling in bottom half along with expected top half teams like City Leeds Cardiff IN TOP 6 Midds Fulham knocking on the door Derby and Wolves were both "expected"

15. bcfcredandwhite

I didn’t expect this from either team to be honest - although Warnock always does well at this level and we ended last season strongly ourselves, beating Brighton away to boot, so I suppose the signs were there.

16. RedorDead

Well done Neil <laugh>

B564B0E3-932C-4BDD-B6A7-EFF091D9CA97.jpeg

17. bcfcredandwhite

I’ll wait for a few weeks before posting WUMs on this thread. Cardiff are wobbling but we are depleted going into 2 very difficult games. Some say we are going to have to dip into our youth team vs Wolves.

18. RedorDead

If you read the opening statement which was a dig at us saying we would be fighting relegation, and Cardiff promoted at year end. We can only technically be three points below Cardiff now, so it’s really egg on his face.
    Also have you not noticed since we went second he’s no where where’s he’s been on our board daily?

19. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hello ROD.........you only sing when you're winning..........<laugh>

I'm around pal - you have it in spades at the moment but will it last?

Before you start getting all self righteous, I seem to remember in the early posts on this thread back in August (you can check if you like) that we had no chance of being top 6 at the half year and you were certainy not going to be - how bloody wrong can you be eh?

Let's keep the thread going then and see who has the last lsugh. <ok>:emoticon-0105-wink:

20. RedorDead

I knew you was sniffing around <laugh>

Truthly I don’t think we will get better than a draw against Wolves where’s you will probably say the same against Preston. We seem to be both playing teams who are a thorn in both teams sides.
    As to season end I would think both could (and I say could more in hope) be in the play offs. The real acid test is are both our teams Prem ready?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.