1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Craig Bellamy

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by Father_Jack_Hackett, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Father_Jack_Hackett

Father_Jack_Hackett New Member

I hope the BBC have got this wrong

2. tevezrightboot

So much for Craig saying that if he can not play for Man City the only other club would be Cardiff City. Looks like that is not going to happen and he is going to Liverpool, where he will be in the same boat as here sittting in the stands wasting his time away twiddling his thumbs.

3. Father_Jack_Hackett

Probably just paper talk but they can probably afford to pay his wages where Cardiff probably cannot.

4. tevezrightboot

Yes that has a bearing, but all the Cardiff fans have been saying that Craig Bellamysaid I only want to play for 2 clubs Man City or Cardiff City. Well I guess that that proves that 1 of them is being economical with the truth.

5. Gazautd

Gazautd Active Member

Isn't it also like when Clichy said players only go to City for the money?

6. Father_Jack_Hackett

Did he say players only go for money and i would never do that?

7. Gazautd

Gazautd Active Member

My mates a Liverpool season ticket holder. His opinion is this. The majority of players don't give 2 ****s for the club. All this kissing the badge and I come to this club because its the way forward etc. All bollox. In all fairness if someone offered to triple my pay I wouldn't say no.

8. Father_Jack_Hackett

Well what do you expect he is talking about Liverpool after all. <laugh>

9. Gazautd

Gazautd Active Member

<ok><laugh>

10. Father_Jack_Hackett

That all depends on what you believe, if you believe he went for the money as i guess all your fans think then the answer is yes, if you think (and as Nasri said) he moved to Man City to further his career and play in the CL and get more money for the pleasure of doing so then no.

11. Devlin

Devlin Member

I would imagine it is an equal measure. Not many players move to lesser clubs for more money (Maybe eto now)

But even when city first got money players like Kaka and Huntelaar were turning them down. Robinho joined because he was adamant he wanted to leave Real Madrid.

So as much as money is a big part of it ambition has to be too.

12. suarez14

suarez14 Member

I don't want him. He's a nutter

13. Father_Jack_Hackett

When Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan bought the club they needed to attract world class players, the only way to do this if you are a mid table club is to pay big money and in the early days i agree money was the big lure, I think things have moved on a lot since then, i am not denying wages play a big part in any potential players decision making (as it is in any job) but we can now also attract these players because we are in the CL and can challenge the top teams for the title e.t.c.

14. Father_Jack_Hackett

Back on topic.

He may be a nutter but on his day he can turn a game around, I like the guy he is exciting to watch and always gives 100%, its a shame he fell out with RM and was shipped out as at the time i think he would have got a regular place for a few more seasons.

15. Devlin

Devlin Member

Err, fancy chipping in some names with that blanket statement?

Exactly! They had a chance to win trophies aka ambition. We were talking of giving Kaka £250k a week and he said no because he had ambition.

Now I'm agreeing money does play a big factor. But ambition does too. People will join City because they can win trophies AND get paid handsomely to do so.

When the sheikh first came in we couldn't attract players like Aguero so we had to buy in Barry, Santa Cruz, Toure, Lescott, Johnson. Fortunately for us Tevez fell out with Man Utd too otherwise we wouldn't have had a chance to get us Tevez was the only one you can say came just for the money out of that bunch.

Yaya wasn't first choice at Barca, Silva we are bigger than Valencia, Clichy and Nasri have realised they stand a better chance of a trophy with us than Arsenal.

So the whole "people just go to City for money" argument is just a blanket statement with no meaning. People join for money yes but also because the club is making moves and going places and on the rise.

16. RipleysCat

RipleysCat Member

If Liverpool want him (and it's probably just unsubstantiated rumours), then they can stump up all the money for his wages. It's one thing subsidising Adebayor's wage, but subsidising Bellamy's (who if we are to believe reports, is more or less on half of what Adebayor earns)? Not for me. Especially if we are prepared to let him leave for free.

17. jck200

jck200 Well-Known Member

Excuse me letting him go on a free means not paying him what you owe him for this last year of the contract you signed with him.

Of course you want him to go on a free to get rid of his wage bill, pay up his contract.

18. Father_Jack_Hackett

I think the subject has been done to death, lets get the topic back on topic which was -

Craig Bellamy has taken a step closer to making a dramatic return to Liverpool after Manchester City agreed to let him leave for nothing.

City are prepared to negotiate a settlement with Bellamy, covering the remaining 10 months of his £95,000-a-week contract, to get him off their wage bill.

19. tevezrightboot

jck200 by letting Craig go on a free it allows him to join his home town club for nothing. As you have previously stated he said that he wants to go back and play for Cardiff well now he can, and there is nothing to stop him from doing so is there jck200.

20. Devlin

Devlin Member

Pastore? He moved to PSG who are building a team to be the biggest team in France with him being a key member. How is that not better than Palermo?
    Toulalan i'll give you.
    Same as Pastore. He has the chance to win trophies for PSG. Unlikely he would at Roma.
    Cazorla. I think Malaga now have more chance of winning La Liga than Villareal...
    Baptista. He's guff anyway XD

How am i missing the point? We are both agreeing that Kaka made a better move at the time (or so we thought) ambition wise to stay at Milan then go to Real... so he didn't move for money alone.

I would say they made the right choice jumping off the sinking Arsenal ship and moving to a club on the rise. But that might be biased.

I disagree at the end of the day. I think that Eto moved to Russia for money. But i think with most players it is a balance between furthering your career and money.

Anyway nice debate mate <laugh>