1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cowboys

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by martinsmithmakesmesmile, Aug 7, 2011.

1. martinsmithmakesmesmile

Can anyone remember the little chip shop near roker that used to sell 'cowboys'?
    It was chips (hotter than the sun on the outside, yet frozen solid inside), battered sausage, battered burger!?! and lumpy gravy with hairs in. All this for £1. Has there ever been a better deal in the history of the world? Does anyone know if this place still exists?

2. biggeordiedave

biggeordiedave Active Member

That's put me off my breakfast.

3. Obertan's Rancid Toe

Obertan's Rancid Toe Well-Known Member

sounds decadent

4. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

bede street chippy, cowboy supper, yum yum.

right opposite the derby pub.

5. Moorsleymountainman

Moorsleymountainman Active Member

Always went to the pie shop (Roker end, paddock corner)
    Went to the airshow last week and it was nice to see it still going strong.

6. Merino's Ballerina Feet

Merino's Ballerina Feet Well-Known Member

It was opposite a church if I remember from the away days and said church used to sell cups of tea for 10p

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

correct, derby one corner, church one corner, armstrong aquatics on another, .

8. SAFCOL

SAFCOL Member

I remember them well, but what is cowboy about sausage and gravy I'll never know.

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They did cowboys in Redby fish and chip shop on Fulwell Road as well, it's still there, or was 2 months back.

<ok>

10. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It was tradition to get a cowboys before every match, soaked up some of the ale.

11. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

but redby chippy wasn't around in the days of roker park? i think, not sure mind.

it was always bede st. chippy.

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Redby chippy was always there mate, i used to walk down from the Blue Bell, there's a bus shelter opposite where the school was, it's been there at least 20 years, was there all the time i lived in Fulwell.

13. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

I remember the school, and the bus station (did you ever see the station? had some laughs in there) being there, but wasn't sure about the chippy, so long ago.

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Don't remember a bus station mate, but there's a bus stop outside, there's a row of about 3 or 4 terraced houses, then them funny curved houses at the end!

Bede Street, as a point of note, is where my first place was when i flew the nest, sadly Roker Park had already ceased to be so i never had the wonder of the ten metres to the Main Stand matchday experience (not that it would have worked out that way anyway, via Seaburn and Fulwell!).

15. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Redby school now, used to be a main bus station/terminal.........

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Ah,

Must have been before my time mate, i used to cut across that car park on the way down from Fulwell, was never a bus station in my time.

Before we moved to Fulwell we lived Ashbrooke, so we'd have came in from the Roker End.

17. Schwerer Gustav

Schwerer Gustav Well-Known Member

Bruceys Beak - your wrong mate - Redby Chippy has not always been there - originally it was a cafe that had a pinball machine in it, in Dennis Smith's era some of the players used to go in there after training if it was at Roker Park, they eventually got stopped from going in for reasons I'm not sure of.

The new Redby school is built upon the old Bus Depot, was never a terminus as the buses did not drop off in there, Fulwell Road was serviced by the 23/24 service until the E6 came along.

Going back to Dennis Smith alongwith Viv Busby & Malcolm Crosby, were regulars in the much missed Pilot Cutter(now the souless Harbour View) after a reserve game and where quite chatty and approachable, they would often join in the banter and take on board(or appear to) suggestions and tactfully put criticism.

Roker Pie shop used to be owned by the Outram's - they sold it a while ago and I think Jean has passed away in the last year or so.

Back to the subject matter, Bede Street Chippy was owned by Bill Whelan and the legendary cowboy suppers were as gruesome as described above with an amazing inconsistency in the quality of product and cooking - still miss them though!!

18. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Do you have to be so precise there mate, buses didn't drop in there? but there was bus stops outside?

Where-as you think the harbour view is soul-less, i enjoy it when i come home.

And for the record, us who belong to fulwell or roker, cowboy suppers were not gruesome, but the best thing in the world (at that given moment in time yum yum)

19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I actually meant 'it was always there from when i moved to Fulwell', this was 1993, for the record, so well after Denis Smith <ok>

20. Not_cricket

Not_cricket Active Member

Used to live in the houses built on the builders yard next to old Redby school. there wa s an off licence that had two of the biggest and fattest cats I have ever seen. I used to walk down to the Fulwell end then round to the main stand seats