1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coventry interested in signing Kevin Phillips

Discussion in 'Coventry City' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Coventry City manager Andy Thorn has confirmed he would like to bring veteran striker Kevin Phillips to the club, according to the Coventry Telegraph.

The ex-England striker is without a club after his release by relegated Birmingham City. Now Thorn is keen to secure an inadvertent swap deal after the Blues pinched Marlon King from the Sky Blues and left them short of a forward.

Thorn said: “We haven’t spoken to Kevin but he’s a goalscorer isn’t he and he’s had a good career.

“I think you have to be really careful – with all due respect to him – because of his age but he is someone who sticks the ball in the back of the net and that’s what we want.

“So we would have a chat with Kevin, that’s for sure.

"I am not saying that is the route we are going down but I’d be silly not to at least speak to him with his track record.

“If we went down that route it would be him and a younger one because I want young, hungry and ready to go players and that’s no sleight on Kevin Phillips because he is a terrific footballer and if we get the chance we will sit down with him.

“I am sure he’ll have a lot of offers and, financially, I am sure he’ll be on a lot of money.

"But he’s settled in the area so I’d love to have a chat with him, but everything has to be in perspective because I imagine he’s been earning fortunes.”

Phillips' goals have fired Sunderland, West Brom and Birmingham to the Premier League. He has scored 254 times in 561 career appearances.

The former Aston Villa player has been largely a bit-part player since Birmingham were promoted to the top-flight two seasons ago.

2. atwembleyin87

atwembleyin87 New Member

Usual Coventry Telegraph attempt to generate news out of nothing. Reporter phones Andy Thorn and asks if he is interested in Kevin Phillips, gets an answer which is entirely non-commital and then makes a story out of it. They are so hard up for stories some days that they might put in banner headlines that the grass has grown half an inch up at the Ricoh

3. King-Dion

King-Dion New Member

Could be media hype. Could be a possibility. Just because he's just turned 38 doesn't mean he couldn't get 15 goals for us in the Championship. He should be good for most games and be a terrific impact sub. If we can afford him, I'd sign him up for a year.

4. atwembleyin87

atwembleyin87 New Member

wouldn't disagree, it all depends on what kind of wages he wants. If he got winning goals in the first two matches Home to the mangy foxes and away to Brum, it would be a good start

5. King-Dion

King-Dion New Member

To paraphrase Kevin Keegan - I would just love that! Cheers.

6. Danger Fox

Danger Fox New Member

I thought you weren't staying on here - Match moved to 12.30 kick off because you can't be trusted, Leicester will be top of the league after giving you a well deserverd beating

7. atwembleyin87

atwembleyin87 New Member

I post where I like Dangernouse and would remind you that the last recorded problem regarding football hooliganism in Coventry was when a rabble of Leicester supporters turned up in the quiet suburb of Earlsdon 3 or 4 years ago. Seems like they had their satnavs upside down as Earlsdon is nowhere near the Ricoh But the Leicester macho men created havoc by frightening some old ladies who were shopping. Some of Leicester's finest were stupid enough to get recorded on CCTV and the police tracked them down during the following year.

8. Danger Fox

Danger Fox New Member

atwembley in 1887 - We both know that was a prearranged meeting that your lot bottled

9. atwembleyin87

atwembleyin87 New Member

I know nothing of the sort but I don't have contact with football hooligans , whereas you obviously do to have inside information. Perhaps I should pass your details to the police.

10. Danger Fox

Danger Fox New Member

crack on and do what you like - You can even pretend to be ignorant if you like...........................................Oh hang on a minute

11. atwembleyin87

atwembleyin87 New Member

Carry on spouting your rubbish but I only play mind games with people who are at least my intellectual equal, you are not worth bothering with.

12. atwembleyin87

atwembleyin87 New Member

13. King-Dion

King-Dion New Member

Mangey Fox thinks he has some intellectual equals, or is at least looking for some. What a joker. I think he's got all the intellect of a lost soul suffering from dementia. Funny that he keeps poking his snout on to Coventry boards - but finding so called intellectuals in Leicester would like finding Keith Vaz (his M.P.) has a strong moral compass. They are all intellectually and morally bankrupt. So F*** Off!

14. atwembleyin87

atwembleyin87 New Member

15. glynnak

glynnak Member

whats up wiv keef then?===not a rac ist post is it?

16. glynnak

glynnak Member

back to the original post
    i think kevin would want paying---you know---money
    and before you ask keith vaz would want paying too

17. SuperKevssafc

SuperKevssafc Member

I thuoght Super Kev had already signed for Blackpool???