1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coutinho

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Jimmy Squarefoot, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think we need a Coutinho appreciation thread because I feel he has really found a new level this season.

His goal scoring has improved, pressing harder and more efficiently, creating more chances and arguably the most important thing of all is he's passing more in the final third.

I know it's only a small sample size but he's been absolutely brilliant so far.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  2. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

It helps massively that we now have other threats in the team. For a large part last season if you market Coutinho out of the game then you effectively keep us quiet, with now this front five that Klopp has created you have runners and receivers in all different positions, all fluid and interchangeable.

And as you say, he's found a new level and he's unplayable on his day. Him, Mane and Firmino are as good as each other and clearly on the same page. Also, I don't think we've had anyone since Gerrard/Luis Garcia who scares as many screamers.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

He showed 2 years ago that with runners ahead he's deadly. He can either pick out those players or their runs creates more space for him to work in.

Last year as magic says we were a bit static up top and he can easily get marked out a game when he's the main threat.

With mane, Lallana, firm making runs for him and to free up space he's got back to that top level again.

Hes also cut cut down on the speculative shots. I think last year although he scored a couple would try too much and this year seems to pick out a pass more than go for the long range effort.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  4. Jimmy Squarefoot

I made a point last year about how I felt his long range pot shots were because he didn't trust the people around him i.e. Benteke and Lallana (Lallana has since improved).

As mentioned by the guys above, the onus is not solely on him now and he has more trust in those around him.

5. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

He has a better haircut than Firm.<ok>

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  6. moreinjuredthanowen

firmino drags him along.. do a firmino appreciation thread first

Any who dare to dream on here BTW?

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  7. Jimmy Squarefoot

To be fair, Firmino is quality but he's picking up from where he left off last season.

For me, Coutinho has raised his game further.

8. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

I don't think it's about trust, it's more to do with having **** or no options. Against Burnley he did the same because we just couldn't get players in good positions so he had no option but to shoot.

9. Milk not bear jizz

Coutinho best described as 87 mins of obscurity and 3 mins of sheer class that wins the game.

Never sub him off, no matter how bad hes playing you never know when he's going to do something breathtaking.

10. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

As evidenced from just how many long shots we're taking, I think Klopp's told players, not just Coutinho, to shoot from range. We've got several who can do it. It's another strategy that confuses the opposition.

11. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Can I just add I like this new positive Jimmy, keep it up <ok> <laugh>

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  12. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Bit harsh fella, could be labelled as such in the past but not so much this year.
    Never a nice feeling but I do agree, in parts, with Jimmy, he's the one that makes us tick.
    With Klopp implementing the system he has, Firmino, Mane, Lallana and to a lesser degree, Can/Gini, moving forward/ahead of him in play has freed him up and given him options, long may that continue!

13. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

This ^ <laugh>

14. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Not sure it's about trust... just think being on same wavelength. Benteke doesn't suit couts style in same way if you put cout into team that crosses the ball constsntly he'd look totally out of place as well.

15. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

I find it crazy how the front four automatically know how to play with each other. I never thought Mane would be as good as he currently is. Certainly has gone up another level since leaving Southampton.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  16. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Coutinho is better than Messi, but not quite as good as Suarez. If you don't agree with me then you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself...how many goals has Messi scored for Liverpool? Boom. <ok>

17. Milk not bear jizz

So is Benteke also better than Messi? He scored more goals for Lpool last year.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He's been superb this season so far controlling the game as well as making the important plays. We have to get into the Champions League or he could be gone next season. He'd get into any team in the world.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

He's done what I wanted which was bring more than 30 minutes and bring it to more games in a row which were the things pissing me off about him. As you say Jimmy having people around him that knows what he's capable of, can match it move per move etc has definitely helped him.

Lala improving leaps and bounds has added a threat elsewhere on the pitch which gives Couts more freedom to play as does Manes pace and penetration. With them all working harder to get the ball back high up and succeeding he's getting more time on the ball with the opposition out of shape too.

Long may it continue and hey, let's be greedy..let's hope it all improves further!

20. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Benteke has been bought for £30m+ twice. How many times has Messi been bought for £30m+?

Exactly....

johnsonsbaby likes this.