1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Could we make Europe this season? If so will it make a big difference?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Minty Fresh, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

We've lost 1 game in 13, are currently sat in 4th and have just held the champions on their own patch. Is europe now a possibility? I wouldn't say we have the quality to get a top four spot but I think 6th or 7th could be up for grabs. Chelsea have looked shakey, Arsenal are always capable of imploding, and Liverpool haven't really hit their stride yet. After that there is the likes of Villa and Everton, who are currently quite a way off the top 7.

Anyway, that isn't really the main point of the thread. Do you think that if we get into europe this season we'll have a much better chance of keeping people like Collo, Tiote and Krul? Many players cite european football as a reason for leaving us (eg Enrique), so if we got there it may help to keep the big boys from nabbing our star players. It will also help to attract a better standard of players. We managed to attract Santon, Ben Arfa and Cabaye to us, a mid table side in the PL. All these players have the ability to play Champions League football but chose us. Imagine the calibre of players we could attract if we got to the next level. Having thought about it, reaching Europe this season could really help the club push on, despite the lack of ambition shown by the board. I am genuinely really exited about what could happen if we kept up our form this season.

Thoughts?

2. beardface

beardface Active Member

Our squad isnt big enough to cope with European football at the moment, so we'd need serious investment. Otherwise we'd struggle à la Stoke.

3. 7th is where we should be looking to finish, but I have a feeling that a lower club may get to the final or win a cup and claim our spot that way.

IMO we need more squad depth because you can't play the same team in the PL and Europe constantly. You need to rest players from time to time and have someone ready and sharp to fill in for an injured or fatigued player.

4. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

We can get Europe, would need 1 or 2 additions but the Europa Cup would be a good breeding ground for players like Vuckic, Ferguson and Sammy.

5. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

This. Also the likes of Abeid, Gosling, Perch, Kadar, Willo and other fringe players will be able to get more game time. Although we would need to buy a couple of quality players so we avoid burning out because playing on Thrusday and then on Sat/Sunday does have a big impact.. just ask Stoke. <ok>

RW/LW cover..
    CB/LB cover/first team regular?
    ST - 1/2 depending on how many leave in the summer (Lovenkrands/Ameobi/Ranger?)

6. cabluigi

cabluigi Active Member

I hope we get into Europe. Next season is a big one for Ferguson, Sammy and Vukcic, and Abeid and Moyo could potentially step up.

Also, I miss midweek European nights, even if they're Thursdays!

7. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

Yeah I agree what people have said about us not having the strength in depth. As I said though it would hopefully help us keep ahold of our best players and attract better ones. Would also bring in a bit more money to invest on a bigger squad.

8. I want curly hair too

I want curly hair too Active Member

If Ashley will resist selling and give us funds to bring in a mixture of backup and improvements on first team players I would relish the chance of competing in Europe again as I guess I took it for advantage first time round.

But that (as we all know) is a big 'if'.

I'm also trying not to think about where we finish because you only need to look at Bolton last season who were challenging for Europe around Nov/Dec but ended up in 14th.

I know we look a better team than they did but you get my drift..

Oh, and on that subject we should buy Chung Yong Lee in summer <ok> Sorry Bolton4Europe!

9. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

Yes! He's quality nearly every time I've seen him.. we should also have a look at Holden who's a very technical and agile central midfielder with a great eye for a pass. <ok>

10. HowayTheLads

HowayTheLads Active Member

Depends on Pard's attitude towards it. Play a strong team like Stoke do, or just play a weakened team like Spurs and just use the label 'European Football' when attempting to sign players. Personally I'd go for the latter.

11. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

He had a blinder against us last season. Nearly every time he touched the ball he almost produced a goal.

5 Goals was bad enough like. No pun intended.

12. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

Haha yeah.. I remember that horrible day! Elmandar and Davies run rings around Colo and Willo.. <laugh>

How times have changed for them.. Chu Young got injured before the season started and he's apparently out until the New Year.. they've really missed him!

13. Jetset Willy

Jetset Willy Member

The problem I see is that you have a great starting 11, with a couple of extra players that would slot in nicely. But you lack any kind of depth, we're 13 games in and if you get any injuries (which is very very likely) you could really struggle. Also the possibility of players leaving in Jan could hinder your chances of finishing 6th/7th.

14. southerngeordi

Europa League Group Stage Team

----------Elliot
    Simpson Williamson Kadar Ferguson
    Sammy-- Gosling- Abeid-- Marvaeux
    ---------------Vuckic
    ----------------Best

Premier League Line Up

----------------Krulmister General

Santon Taylor Collocini Peiters
    ------------------Tiote Cabaye
    Obertan Jonas
    ----------------------Ben Arfa
    ------------------------Ba

15. Sanchin0

Sanchin0 Active Member

Good line-ups. Although swap Abeid/Gosling for Guthrie in that Europa League ''team''. Also where is Perch? <laugh>

16. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

I think you can finish in the top 7 for sure, we were talking about Newcastle at work the other day besides the others currently in top 7 Villa and the likes of Everton are quite far off.

I also think you have a very good starting 11, your challenge we be if you get any injuries.

But with some reinforcements in January you could well finish in the top 6.

Good luck for the rest of the season from a Spurs fan.

17. Jetset Willy

Jetset Willy Member

The second line-up could possibly win the Europa League. However, the first line-up would get smashed in the group stages. That's the problem that needs to be addressed - squad depth.

18. Thanks mate, but I can't see us finishing above - You or Liverpool for 6th. 7th is my target.

19. Spiderman-Mask

Spiderman-Mask Well-Known Member

I still reckon Spurs will get at least 4th. Theyve been great this season after the tough start.

Imagine Perch in Europe. They won't know what hit them. Barcelona will be putting in bids just to make sure they don't have to face him

20. Smudger

Smudger Active Member

10 points clear of 8th, already. Looking good. We have a big enough squad to qualify for Europe but would need 5 more players to compete IMO [CM (cover), RW (competition), CB (cover), LB (starter), striker (competition)]. Looks like we're getting Maiga and a defender in Jan, that could be 2 or 3 more additions required depending on how versatile the defender is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.