1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cost of supporting your team - report

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by devonblue, Oct 18, 2012.

1. devonblue

devonblue Member

Just seen this on the BBC website. It shows an 11% rise in ticket prices on average per club......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19842397

This is quiet extraordinary when you consider this news comes on the same day that we hear 20 shops per day are being closed by retailers up and down the country. The economy is in the gutter, yet clubs still get away with charging silly prices for attending games.

The only conclusion I can draw from this, is that the clubs are milking as much money from the die-hard fans whilst seemingly ignoring the rest. Im no economist but this is surely unsustainable and its is only a matter of time before clubs are forced away from this crazy crap they spout along the lines of 'well our prices are in line with everyone else's'.

I would LOVE to see our club be a trailblazer for some kind of initiative where all standing tickets are £7 on the day - something like that to get casual fans back through the turnstiles.

Be good to hear your thoughts :)

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I was a kid it was a shilling to go through the turnstiles and stand anywhere. The sit down stand was extra but we never paid to go in there. At half time we used to nick in sometimes but preferred to stand behind the goal we were shooting at (changing ends at half time). I think about the same time you could get a bag of chips for 3d (1.25p). I don't know how much a bag of chips costs now but if it was £1.25 that would correspond to an admission price of £5 for a Ryman Premier League match. I have seen advertised admission fees for £5 (Enfield) and £8 (Whitstable). Well done Enfield.

3. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

terrible how much it costs nowerdays but its just the done thing now - pity that wycombe are much higher up in the pricetable than we should be. one thing i would love to see justified though is kiddimister harriers charging £4 for a pie....

4. devonblue

devonblue Member

hahaha thats got to be one tasty f**king pie!!!

5. trueblue75

trueblue75 Member

Wycombe was £5 when I first started to support the blues. Now it's near a 25 (and were just the next legue up!!) so I think £15 would be a more realistic price for the 4th devision!! Unfortunetly with a crowd of less than 5000 with prices £5 a go I doubt the club would se a pice decreas as an argument that will increase crowds. Even though I felt the community day was poorly addvitised. Just my thoughts

6. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Happy days ron,i used to love going to Loakes Park after a couple of pints in the club bar and after the game to talk to the likes of Bodger,John Maskell, Keith Mead and Paul Birdseye and i've still got a programme signed by all the players in1976 in a box somewhere and that's when i most enjoyed watching Wycombe play.Bloodyhell i'm welling up! <cheers>

7. RayBerks

RayBerks Member

From what I have heard the club inherited the price structure fro the old regime and it will be interesting to see what happens next season. I hope they could cut them by say 15% across the board especially as it appears there are a lot of people around during the week in the office. Don't get me wrong I don't want anyone to lose their job but the running costs do appear excessive and some cuts could be made and sadly the club's expectations a few years ago clearly went mad!