Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Mar 3, 2020.

1. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

I was kind of hoping to experience it myself but it was obvious some weeks ago that it was not going to be feasible let alone the question marks over safety with flying.

Booked a holiday to torremolinos..

2. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

What has the Cheltenham Festival got to do with anything?

Back in March, Covid-19 was already here. Thousands of people from all over this country and a sizeable number from Ireland packed together into the stands at Prestbury Park, coughing and sneezing into their Guinness; and then went home at the end of the week.

If four days at the races was such a super-spreader, how come half of Ireland has not got Coronavirus? At the time of writing they only had 24,391 confirmed cases and 1,583 deaths from a population of nearly five million. Scotland, a country with a similar size of population, has fewer confirmed cases – 13,929 – and 3,546 deaths.

Ireland has an adult obesity rate of 25 per cent (2016 figures) and 13 per cent of the population is over 65 (2018 figures), whilst Scotland has an adult obesity rate of 29 per cent (2016 figures) and 19 per cent of the population over 65 (2019 figures). Given the statistical relationship between age, obesity and Covid-19 mortality that has already been established, are these not more likely reasons for the differences than who went to the races?

Are there independent statistics being kept for number of deaths amongst Cheltenham Festival attendees of which I am not aware?

3. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

More deaths from Coronavirus in the UK now than in the whole of Spain and Germany combined!

All down to a criminally negligent Government who made mistake after mistake.

Remember when the fools told us that we shouldn’t lock down too soon because we would get bored of it - how about we locked down earlier and then we might have been able to lift the restrictions a bit earlier ?

4. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

How does this actually work anywhere? Do the police walk around with a two metre stick to check if it will fit between people? Do both parties get fined or is it a who shouts loudest blame game? Is the prescribed distance actually two metres in all countries? Does it have any scientific basis?

The two metre distance in the UK was graphically proven to be totally pointless to me two days ago. I was walking through the Hull Interchange (city centre combined bus terminus and railway station) when I passed a man, who I will describe as being further round than he was tall, who promptly coughed extremely loudly without attempting to cover his mouth, causing everyone within about thirty feet to turn and look. There is no way that the droplets he expelled stopped after two metres and I took a few steps sideways to increase the distance between us as I carried on my way.

The whole social distancing thing is a joke. I posted a while ago about how Wetherspoon were planning on having widely-spaced tables, no customers at the bar, order using the App; but nobody will be able to keep a pub viable when punters have to queue in the street for a vacant table and there are a couple of pubs I only go in for a pint with the TV sport so they have had it too.

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

You are a proper “I hate Boris” / “I hate the Tories” robot.

Virtually every day you come on here with the latest slant on the death toll in the UK compared to somewhere else, followed by your signature remarks about the government being criminally negligent.

As far as I am aware, the judiciary are still sitting in this country, so why have you not gone to the High Court to petition for the government to be brought before the bench to answer a charge of criminal negligence?

Why do I think that the courts would not listen to a fool like you?

6. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Masks OK for re-use a few times if you're very careful with them, of course. Gloves, however, are of limited use and only the one-time throw-away type should be used, i.e. when you take 'em off, chuck 'em away into the bin and wash your hands thoroughly. Have this info on good authority, my wife and daughter, no less! :emoticon-0100-smile :bandit:

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 9:44 AM
  7. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

No I am currently anti Tory because of the mistakes they keep making.

I was the first on here to applaud Matt Hancock in hitting his testing target.
    Anything else to be positive with the Tories ???

8. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Some potentially good news this evening.
    Dominic Cummings is being investigated by the police for breaking lockdown rules.

surely if Neil Ferguson had to resign then Cummings also now has to resign?
    Again how can you defend the Tories over this ? I

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sitting outside the local supermarket yesterday I reckon about 70-80% went in wearing a mask. Strangely, virtually all of those not wearing a mask were on the unlucky side of obese

10. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

The lucky side to obese, I think that means slim?
    Unluck side of obese means even fatter than obese?

rudebwoy likes this.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh yea. I really meant verging on obese

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

He didn’t hit his target though, did he? He cooked the books in at least two ways - double counting, and including tests sent out but not used.

I would personally give the government some credit for not taking a hardline, totalitarian approach to lockdown. Some will not agree, but we have a tradition of policing by consent in this country, and respect for civil liberties. These values are worth retaining imo.

So I would actually thank the libertarian Tories for respecting our liberties, though in other ways they seem to have precious little respect for anyone who isn’t a billionaire tax cheat.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 6:47 AM
  13. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Has he gone yet ?

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Cummings? Don’t hold your breath.

15. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

My windscreen repair man? Not arrived yet but just had a text to inform me he'll be here between 9.05 - 9.20. Hopefully gone by 11:emoticon-0148-yes:.

16. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree that social distancing measures are a joke...it's done to protect the public and to have some sort of measures in place to protect the spread of the virus.

I do not know how it is policed in other countries as not there but it's definitely a firmer response not to mention heavier fines for not following rules having read reports about it. I m sure you have been out and about to notice large gatherings which are a basic two fingers up to the government's advice. I was in park in Bristol and there were a group of 10 to 12 guys playing football. They should have been fined for blatantly flouting the rules although with our likely wet approach had they have been spotted by the police they would have been politely told to move on which hardly gives a deterrent against doing it again does it?

I have been to Hull a few times..stayed at the quality hotel next to the station and the premier inn on the outskirts of the centre. There are some real in-bred types there. Anyway I digress, regarding your own personal experience, it sounds like you weren't staying alert enough. You perhaps should have crossed to the other side of the road. I tend to do that wherever possible.

17. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

18. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

One of them has to go - Johnson or Cummings. At least we will now find out who is really in charge.

This story won’t go away until one of them resigns.

19. stick

stick Bumper King

It’s not going to be Boris is it, get real.

20. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

the longer he takes to sack Cummings then the weaker Johnson becomes.

I hope the lockdown falls apart now, all trust is being lost in the government