1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus - 606 tales from the Inquiry

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

That’s it! I’ll be boycotting the Friday night takeaway from now on - that’ll learn’em !!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

So Boris has apologised for something he claims was 'technically within the rules' - and only appears to be breaking them because the plebs are too dim to understand the rules - just like when Cummings did his grand tour of Northern England.

Boris and Dominic forgot to make it clear to honest folk on the Clapham Omnibus that the rules were put in place to be circumvented by anyone clever and privileged enough, and only obeyed by dumb poor people.
    All he is really sorry about is that not everybody sees this obvious truth as clearly as he does.

Perhaps, like Churchill in that movie Darkest Hour, Boris should have got on a tube train and asked a few real people (key workers) how they feel about following the rules to look after each other.
    It might have opened his eyes just a bit.

And as for the enquiry? <laugh>
    It will be the whitest whitewash ever seen. You'll get snow-blindness if you look directly at it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Ken Shabby likes this.
  3. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

So Boris remembers to the minute (25) how long he was in the garden 18 months ago, but didn't notice that it was a party? Shouldn't be too long until the chairman of the 1922 committee goes into Boris's office and hands him a gun with a single bullet. His version of events was even funnier than Dominic Cummings' "Eyesight test".
    Incidentally, that Churchill scene on the train didn't happen; it was made up for the film.

lardiman likes this.
  4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I wasn't sure but I suspected as much (why I mentioned the movie).
    It was a good watch though <ok>

The Penguin likes this.
  5. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Another day when new infections in the UK have plummeted. We are well and truly over the worst of Omicron and although deaths have risen (particularly amongst the unvaccinated) it could have been a lot worse.

The rest of Europe still has massively increasing numbers and I think Germany is only just now starting to see figures rise dramatically due to Omicron.

India, North and South America, Australia all have massively high rates.

Hopefully come Spring and Summer this thing will be over for good.

6. The Penguin

Hopefully, unless the virus has another trick or two up its sleeve.

7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

It seems 10 Downing Street is practically the hottest private Night Club in London...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59989946

How do they actually get any work done? The number of parties they have. It's a non-stop boozy jolly.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  8. Ubedizzy

Smudger603 and lardiman like this.
  9. lardiman

Forum Moderator

It's the Culture at No. 10.
    drinks during work, parties... probably plenty of cocaine sniffed up too I shouldn't wonder.
    Bright young things who think they're better than the rest of us. Who don't care about rules which are beneath them.
    Arrogance personified.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  10. The Penguin

This "save Boris" loyalty by the cabinet is a sham. Reminds me of John Major's declaration of loyalty to Mrs T before replacing her after others had laid the groundwork.

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Come on Boris, be a sport and resign.
    Your office can throw you a leaving party! <bubbly>:emoticon-0169-dance:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0172-mooni

12. The Penguin

The best parties are the ones that you don't remember.

lardiman likes this.
  13. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

he will clearly never resign - he is so arrogant he probably feels everything he has done is the result of other people not understanding he has the right to ignore rules he makes himself. And I expect the cabinet to try and stick with him as long as possible as he is soaking up the hatred for how badly they are running (ruining) the country. but when they finally decide to offload him, it will have nothing to do with common decency. Their cronyism and general arrogance rule that out. It will simply be about desperately clinging to power and their own priveliged positions regardless of cost. Lets remember Boris was well known to be a liar and and a vacuous moron with a bit of a classical education, and they voted him in as leader of their party anyway. Dificult times call for great leaders. The Tories have none to offer, only excuses and lies.

The Penguin likes this.
  14. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I've heard all COVID restrictions might be lifted around the end of next week :1980_boogie_down: in England anyway.

Naturally I'll carry on being careful and avoiding crowds.
    But I'll be sorely tempted to stop wearing a mask in the supermarket (I only shop at very quiet times).
    They'll probably say it's still advisory, so I might continue for a while out of courtesy.

Good news for the pubs, entertainment industry & travel though <ok> <ok> <ok>

Ubedizzy and Smudger603 like this.
  16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Regarding Novax, it's over to the French now, and then Wimbledon.

If both want to avoid the mess that the Australian Government made, these countries should come out now and make the situation crystal clear;
    No vaccine - No entry.
    Unless you have verified medical proof that you're seriously allergic to the vaccine.
    None of this waffle about "I can't be vaccinated because I caught COVID last month".

Anybody who won't take the vaccine themselves as a personal choice sends out an anti-vacc message.

Especially if they are an influential celebrity.
    It's not just what such people say that matters, It's how they behave. The things they do, or don't do.
    How many of Novak's devoted fans have decided not to get vaccinated, just because he refuses?
    Quite a few I should think.

17. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Looking at how Covid is developing, I have to say @Ubedizzy seems to have a decent take on the current situation. Here in Spain we are approaching the peak of infections (my mother in law lost her cousin to Covid last night having been discharged from hospital just a week before), but if you compare different parts of Spain, plus the UK there are some things which aren't going with the science, or at least, with the things we are doing to control it.
    To begin with it was Cantabria and Navarra up north who had the worst infrction rates in the current wave, as well as the UK, which went along with the view that sunny weather and the u/v light does a lot of damage to covid. But the Canaries have a high infection rate now as does Catalunya. If you compare Catalunya, we have a strict curfew from 1 to 6 pm, when no one goes out anyway, the discos are all closed, and masks are obligatory everywhere indoors, as well as outside if you are near others. Madrid has ignored all of that and just ploughed ahead. And their infection rates are lower than Catalunya. While the UK has also dragged it's heels about imposing too many restrictions, the infections went right up, but I think Catalunyas are worse.
    I think I read that omicron is so small masks don't really do much, though in my heart I imagine it would be carried by the exhale, which won't go so far if a mask blocks it. To me it feels a bit like heresy to not take any precautions - the health workers deserve that we try and do something to keep this down. But omicron seems to spread whether or not we take precautions. I'll still wear a mask where I have to, but some better investigation seems necessary-
    I think we sould all be a lot more immunised by march, between the infections and the vaccinations. And the good weather should help after that. I've seen scientists saying we can look forward to further variants, probably weaker like omicron, but that shoud be something to worry about in october hopefully!!

Ubedizzy likes this.
  18. Ubedizzy

Apart maybe from crowded public transport, where you might be forced to be very close to other people for a prolonged time, I have always believed that masks are pretty pointless. Well at least the sort that people generally wear. Viruses are literally microscopic so the idea that they can be stopped from spreading by wearing a thin piece of cotton or polyester across your nose and mouth, while having the sides, tops and bottoms of the mask completely open (ie not air tight) does not make any sense from a physics and science point of view.

The same air spreads from your lungs to the outside world whether you wear a mask or not. A mask does not capture bits of virus while allowing lovely clean air to pass through it. That is just a ludicrous suggestion. It simply doesn’t work like that.

And I think the way Omicron has spread despite many countries having mandatory mask wearing in place for a considerable time has proven this - even though anyone with a rudimentary understanding of physics would know this anyway.

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Smudger603 and Ubedizzy like this.
  20. Ubedizzy

And the thing they crave the most ?………….publicity.

Well done the BBC <applause><applause><applause>