1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus - 606 tales from the Inquiry

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Frankly, it's what happens when you run the NHS on a shoestring for years, and when this comes along, the system is already buckling. Plus tge worst infection rates in Europe and Boris trumpets that they won't take precautions like obligatory masks and no big indoor public gatherings. And people still say 'yes but Corbyn'.
    I'm in Wales where masks are obligatiry indoors, and people are encoraged to work from home. So it seems it's the Eton Rifles who are causing the upsurge through indolence.

lardiman and The Penguin like this.
  2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

I can understand the deep seated distrust in some ethnic communities, who were abused in the past on medical pretexts.
    We are not taught about those atrocities, but they did happen.

One rough parallel for me would be working for a Japanese company.
    I heard one (don't know if it was ever true) that Nissan Workers were compelled to go through some kind of daily ritual involving paying homage to the Japanese Flag.

I would happily die of starvation rather than earn bread money working for a firm that made me revere the Japanes Flag.
    Two of my Father's brothers died as prisoners in Burma. One of his brothers-in-law who did come back was never the same. I remember family visits to him when I was a kid. His health was terrible.
    The strength of my sense of injustice is perhaps mirrored in some of those people who will not be vaccinated for historical reasons.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    The Penguin likes this.
  3. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

In terms of hospitalisations and deaths we're doing very badly now. It's high time we saw the figures for how much of this is due to what is laughingly referred to as "Vaccine Hesitancy".

4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Starmer is 100% right on this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59032991

Anti-vacc extremists will sink to any depth to feed their paranoia and hunger for attention.
    Frightening children.
    Another abuse of the right to demonstrate, which will end in all protests by everyone being banned.
    Anti-vacc, XR and Insult Britain. All affronts to civilised behaviour.

5. The Penguin

The anti-vaxxers are worse IMO because their message is a dangerous lie, whereas with the other two it's not the message that's wrong, it's the way they deliver it.

6. Ken Shabby

I had the joy of watching the Marr show yesterday morning where he talked to Rishi Sunak about the horrible covid figures in the UK and why the Tories idea of setting an example is to sit together in a crowded space (the House of Commons) with not a mask in sight. Sunak replied that 'people know when they need to wear a mask, and when not to' and basically followed up the idiotic rees-Mogg y implying that as the Tories all know each other, masks are unnecessary.
    I was on the Central line the day befor from Liverpool street to Oxford Circus. The trains were al packed, and by and large, the people on them were mask free. Suggests that most people aren't going to go back to wearing masks until they are told to. Given the terrible infection and death rates in the UK, any vaguely competent government would have learned from it's previous mistakes and started to impose a few basic measures weeks ago to avoid having to do some more draconian stuff a few weeks ahead. But as has been the case since february last year, the Tories are the party of wishing things would just go away without having to do anything more than line their mates pockets. The infection rates aren't going to go down on their own, and while I have scant sympathy for the anti-vaxxers who end up on life support, they will be joined there by people with underlying conditions who are simply going to risk death becausethe conservatives don't want to do something that might be unpopular.
    Johnson's quote about preferring to see the bodies pile up, and letting covid rip before going into another lock down are a sign of how utterly unfit for any sort of prominent position he is, and his funny 'captain hindsight' quotes will look even more desperate if his cabinet manage to drag the UK into another lock down when some sort of remedial measure could have prevented it. I fully accepr we have to learn to live with covid, but to just throw down precautions and invite it on to the population is pathetic.

7. Ken Shabby

please log in to view this image

Last week Jacob Rees Mogg told the HoC that Tory MP's didn't need to wear masks because "We on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit."
    The man arrowed is Alex Chalk, MP for Cheltenham and Solicitor General for England and Wales in a crowded HoC last Wednesday.
    He tested positive for Covid 19 at the weekend.

Smudger603 and lardiman like this.
  8. The Penguin

Upper class Twit-of-the-Year talks bollox shock horror sensation.

Smudger603 likes this.
  9. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

The UK’s Covid figures are dropping quicker than a tarts knickers this week.

Down 23% today compared to last Thursday.

I think the upsurge when schools went back has fizzled out and we are now back on a downward trend. It’s a funny old virus and very hard to predict what will happen next with it, but hopefully the winter won’t be as bad as feared and we won’t need to bring back restrictions.

10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

No more red list countries from next week. No more quarantining arrivals in the UK <hug>

11. The Penguin

For anyone who's interested, the next edition of Private Eye is a bumper edition, with a special report on who has made loadsamoney out of the pandemic.

Butterfield, lardiman and Ubedizzy like this.
  12. Ubedizzy

I reckon the Chinese government must be top of that list :emoticon-0121-angry

13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I've heard talk of 2 day weeks, rationing and fuel shortages in China recently.

When things go wrong there, it tends to be on a huge scale. As a dictatorship, the Chinese regime is even more vulnerable to the unrest brought about by instability and shortages than democratic Governments.

I always find it amusing that one party States founded by violent revolutions are always proud of the nature of their genesis, but at the same time insist that no future revolutions will be needed (should the people ever feel the need to oust them).
    That sings a very different tune to democratic Governments, who - Trump regime aside - respect and encourage a continuation of the mechanism that brought them to power, even at the cost of that power itself.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  14. Ubedizzy

Apart from the French, who are to be kept in solitary until they release our bloody trawler

lardiman likes this.
  15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

According to the BBC News this evening, although infection rates are more or less level between roughly 40,000 and 48,000 per day, perhaps falling, hospital admissions and admissions to intensive care are still rising.

Now a high proportion of these will be people not vaccinated by their own choice, who deserve little or no sympathy.
    But the NHS staff who have to care for them cannot just switch off how they feel. Once again they are being pushed beyond endurance looking after patients on the brink of death. And it's not even really winter time yet.

Ken Shabby and Ubedizzy like this.
  16. Ubedizzy

Hospital admissions and then deaths are roughly 1/2 weeks and 3/4 weeks respectively behind case numbers so alas may continue to rise for a while yet. They will hopefully then both fall in line with current case numbers. But that doesn't help the frontline hospital staff, who as Lardi points out are already stretched. It does become increasingly hard to have any sympathy whatsoever for the unvaccinated who get ill.

lardiman likes this.
  17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I should also think that listening to very sick and dying patients repenting their stupidity at being taken in by anti-vacc rubbish on social media, and wishing they had just had their jabs, must be enough to drive many nurses and doctors round the twist.

With their very lives in danger and their long term health probably ruined for good, many of these seriously ill patients must be torment to listen to as they cry out their regret, feeling sorry for themselves and perhaps even realising what pain they are now putting their loved ones through (never mind the hospital staff who have to care for them).

I know that every time I hear a hospital patient on TV lamenting how dumb they were and begging others to get their jab it makes me laugh, in a very unkind way, at the plain avoidability of it.

Believing crap that you read on social media is not a harmless foible.
    In times of real danger like now, it can lead you to sleep walk into your own grave.
    When will these feeble-minded sheep wake up and think for themselves?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  18. The Penguin

The anti-vaxx movement is so weird. They're so puritanical in their brainwashed belief. Reminds me of the original version of Invasion of the Body-Snatchers, with Donald Sutherland.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  19. Ubedizzy

And Spock. Excellent film. For all it's age, the final scene still sends a shiver down the spine <monster><monster><monster>

Ken Shabby and The Penguin like this.
  20. The Penguin

In the updated version it all ends happily ever after :emoticon-0127-lipss. Just wrong.

Ken Shabby and Ubedizzy like this.