1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus - 606 tales from the Inquiry

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

I concur with most of that Shabby. I have little sympathy for those who get ill after having refused the jab and I agree they remain a threat to us all in that they allow space for the virus to mutate. Interesting that you say there's no anti-vax lobby in Spain. Perhaps your media don't constantly highlight the issue and turn it into a story ?

As far as the initial roll-out is concerned, I'm not sure that Brexit had no effect though. From my understanding, the UK was able to negotiate it's own deals with the manufacturers to produce the earliest vaccines under contract whereas the EU decided to negotiate en-bloc and needed everyone's agreement before proceeding to contract. Being profit based business's those companies won't commit huge resources into something until they have a tight contract. We were therefore able to secure those contracts weeks earlier than the EU and the manufacturing process therefore began earlier.

As I've often said, whether Brexit turns out to be a good thing or a bad thing for the UK won't be known for at least 10 years in my opinion, but I'd definitely chalk this one up as a plus.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Any minuses?

3. Ubedizzy

In the short term definitely yes. In the long term we may look back and say that they were worth it.

However, as I say, we won't know for at least 10 years if we made the right choice or not so we may also look back and say we made the wrong choice.

I think it's just too early to say.

But anyone who is claiming this early, that we were right or wrong in the decision we took, is forming that opinion too soon in my view.

I voted leave for quite specific reasons and I hope for my sake and that of my children and hopefully grandchildren that it turns out I was right, but I know the jury is still out and in 10 years time if it's all gone wrong, I will accept my part and say I was wrong.

And apologies for veering a bit off topic and mentioning the B word :emoticon-0106-cryin

4. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

The Spanish Media may well simply not mention anti vaxxers here - I agree that if they have them elsewhere, it would be a bit odd that there weren't any in Spain. There's nothing new under the sun. I heard a lot of people being fairly cautious and ever dubious about the vaccine when it arrived. The major concern was that if a normal vaccine took six or seven years to make, test and safeguard, how did this one turn up in eleven months. But generally, everyone seems to have got on and taken the jab. But when the double jab numbers get up into the high eighty per cent range, we may well see a silent minority simply opting to keep away.

By the way, it was me who mentiones the B word - probably not the best idea.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  5. The Penguin

The US of A has the strongest anti-vaxx movement, which is why although they are better than us in terms of infections they have twice as many deaths per capita, although we lead western Europe with 140 per day. Most hospital or ICU admissions are young un vaccinated people. If anyone is to blame it could be Facebook, which has allowed the conspiracy theories to take hold.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  6. Ubedizzy

Statistics really can be misleading depending on how you use them, a fact which most politicians learn at a very early stage of their careers I suspect.

Having just reread and checked my post about testing rates per million population, the figures from Germany are really quite incredible. This is a country that is seen as generally dealing with the pandemic quite well, BUT they currently have just under 50% of the number of infections per million population as the UK and similarly just over 50% of the number of deaths per million population as the UK.

However, they have only carried out just under 20% of the number of tests per million population as the UK.

If they had carried out that extra 80% of tests that we have, it doesn't take a genius to see that their figures might not look quite so good, or conversely ours look quite so negative.

The same applies to a lesser, but still significant extent to the figures from Spain, Italy and France, although the lack of Italian testing has not been able to mask how badly they were affected, especially in the first wave.

Lies, damned lies and coronavirus statistics ?

7. Ubedizzy

Good point, but it's excellent that we can exchange different views (?) without resorting to insults, angst or recrimination :emoticon-0150-hands

8. The Penguin

I don't read much into that. Most tests are precautionary, for instance Mrs Penguin just took one for a sore throat, which wa of course negative. What bothers me is that refusing the vaccination is becoming seen as almost admirable in certain quarters, like pro footballers recently. I heard a spokesman saying this morning that footballers should not be pressurised into taking the jab. What a load of bollox. They have the extra responsibility of being role models for the young. If the anti-vaxxers are becoming respectable with all their mad theories God help us. The lunatics will soon be taking over the asylum.

9. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Just seen that the night life is opening up in Catalunya tonight for the fully vaccinated. A couple of people interviewed said ' we just got vaccinated so we can get in'!

Seems like someone knows how to work a very efffective carrot and stick routine here <laugh>

Smudger603 and The Penguin like this.
  10. FormerlyOzAddick

FormerlyOzAddick Active Member

Double jabbed now with Pfizer, and feeling right wrecked ! Am i done for ?

11. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

You'll live <ok> that's the whole point of course.

I felt nothing after my first jab of the Oxford.
    Was a bit groggy for a day after the second jab.

FormerlyOzAddick likes this.
  12. The Penguin

Got my booster booked for next Thursday at the local pharmacy.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  13. FormerlyOzAddick

Third jab ?

14. FormerlyOzAddick

Yeah it is ok, just an extremely tired feeling.

Plus i can now pick up 'Sky' via my inner ear, amazing.

Ken Shabby, lardiman and Butterfield like this.
  15. The Penguin

Yep.

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Hope these anti-vacc thugs feel proud of themselves...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58856068

Intimidating a wheelchair-bound 15 year old.
    That puts them on a moral par with 'Insult Britain' morons, or people who steal from charity collection tins.
    Scum.

17. The Penguin

You can tell by the self-righteous look on their faces that they believe the stuff they read onFacebook. The recent revelations by the Facebook whistleblower shows that they are knowingly allowing these lies to feed their gullible readers.

lardiman likes this.
  18. The Penguin

In-depth interview with Sir Patrick Vallance at 8pm on Radio 4.

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

No depth briefing from Sajid yesterday evening on telly.
    "Trust us, we're keeping an eye on it".

Well that's OK then.
    5 million people including half the Premier League won't get vaccinated.
    Wonderful role models they turned out to be.
    Care homes, you can relax now. Sajid is keeping an eye on it.
    And did we get that Indian Trade Deal yet? It only cost about 30,000 lives.

If anyone suggests we should start clapping for nurses again I might have to <wah>

20. The Penguin

Speaking to a nurse recently who cut short a stay in Oz to come back and do her bit to help out last year. She is now working in A and E, and hates it. It's so overloaded because people aren't going to the GP anymore. All the nurses hate it now, most want to leave because of the pressure, and she's leaving for 6 months to work on a ski resort. They are working 13hour shifts and feel undervalued. Don't get ill.

lardiman and Ken Shabby like this.