1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Core of the Team

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, May 30, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Who should Hurst build the team around, and what positions to we really need to fill? Here is the current squad list:

1 GK Dean Gerken
    3 DF Jonas Knudsen
    4 DF Luke Chambers
    6 DF Adam Webster
    7 MF Teddy Bishop
    8 MF Cole Skuse
    9 FW Martyn Waghorn
    12 DF Jordan Spence
    14 FW Joe Garner
    15 MF Tom Adeyemi
    17 MF Danny Rowe
    18 MF Grant Ward
    20 FW Freddie Sears
    21 MF Flynn Downes
    22 MF Tristan Nydam
    23 MF Andre Dozzell
    26 FW Aaron Drinan
    30 DF Myles Kenlock
    33 GK Bartosz Białkowski
    34 FW Ben Folami
    35 FW Ben Morris
    37 DF Barry Cotter
    38 DF Patrick Webber
    39 DF Luke Woolfenden
    40 DF Chris Smith
    41 MF Conor McKendry
    42 FW Shane McLoughlin
    44 MF Emyr Huws

— GK Mitchell Ware
    — GK Harry Wright
    — DF Bailey Clements
    — DF Dylan Crowe
    — DF Idris El Mizouni
    — DF Ross Marshall
    — DF Corrie Ndaba
    — DF Kian Ronan
    — MF Steven Cahill
    — MF Armando Dobra
    — MF Ben Knight
    — MF Brett McGavin
    — MF Kai Brown
    — FW Zak Brown
    — FW Declan Daniels
    — FW Jack Lankester
    — FW Albert Wilton

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This is how I see it:

GK Bartosz Białkowski
    RB
    CB Luke Chambers
    CB
    LB
    RM Martyn Waghorn
    CM
    CM
    LM
    ST
    ST

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think we have a good core to the squad and some promising prospects in the academy, who were thankfully given opportunities last season. Having said that, I believe we need a few signings to improve the squad quality and options, particularly out wide. My ideal starting eleven next season would be:

GK: Bart
    RB: New signing
    CB: Webster
    CB: Carter Vickers (loan)
    LB: Kenlock
    CM: Skuse
    CM: Dozzell
    LW: New signing
    AM: Huws
    RW: New signing
    ST: Waghorn

I think we are fine for the goalkeeping department, although Bart will have to be replaced by a strong goalkeeper if we are to avoid regressing next season. His stand out performances and frequent saves are worth a lot of points, and I think some supporters take him for granted a bit these days.

Defence needs work at right back, as I don't rate Spence highly and Emmanuel, while having a great season in League One, could do with further experience elsewhere as his performances for us before the Rotherham move were very inconsistent. I'd resign Carter Vickers on loan, if given the option, and play him alongside Webster. Kenlock or Knudsen at left back is fine for this division for another season.

Our strongest area of the field is central midfield, in my opinion. I'd start Skuse and Dozzell, with Huws playing in a more advanced role, but Bishop, Downes, Nydam, and Adeyemi provide enough competition there. We desperately require signings out wide, as that's our weakest area. I'm a fan of Ward, but wouldn't necessarily start him out wide if we can get somebody better in. Left wing appears to be our traditional loanee from the Premier League position, so hopefully we can strike gold for a fourth time in a row following the successes of Fraser, Lawrence, and Celina. Folami could be an option out wide, although I'd release Danny Rowe as he struggled to get into the team at Lincoln towards the end of the season.

As for our strike-force, while Waghorn can play right midfield, but I'd prefer him up top. Garner and Sears provides competition, although how strong that competition is remains to be seen. Garner notched double figures last season, but I remain unconvinced about his tendency to throw himself around the pitch. A new, pacy striker up front could be a wise addition.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

You have Adeyami, Huws, Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, Bishop......and you pick Skuse in the middle!! <doh>

itfcptc and Bigalreigned like this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hi Nuggets, agree the full back berths really need looking at.

I see Dozzell, Nydam, Downes particularly knocking on the door of the first team, Skuse can do a job but I think we need to strengthen CDM. Huws is not a bad option.

I fear Bishop's lost his mojo. But with a new manager anyone could start to excel or fall by the wayside.

I would be prioritising signing strikers and then defenders but when I look at nailed on first teamers I'm only seeing a few.

Interesting a lot of people don't rate Chambers. I think he's an excellent defender but he's been let down by poor organisation at the back and awful full backs.

6. Nuggets

Best defensive midfielder we have in the squad, and my preference is a 4-2-3-1 formation so I think we need him in there. He was also a pretty consistent performer last season. Downes would, gradually, be his replacement if he continues his positive development.

Hampy, agreed regarding Bishop, he is very much in the last chance saloon this year with his contract expiring next summer, if I recall correctly. Regarding the strikeforce, I agree we need to get somebody in, but with Waghorn, Garner, and hopefully a rejuvenated Sears as options, however, Hurst's sides typically play with a long striker and an emphasis on wingers, so I think it's out wide that needs to be our first priority.

7. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Barts new contract has been on the table for weeks, anyone know if he's signed yet?

8. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I would guess he'll wait til after the World cup (if he goes) - if not, then at least to have a chat with the new manager

9. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Bart will be off so a new keeper needed.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think we might get one more shot at promotion with him. He loves it at Town and it may depend on the impression Hurst makes on him.

11. Nuggets

We are linked to Dean Henderson, who was on loan at Shrewsbury for Hurst's play off season. His parent club is Manchester United and they are likely to release him for free this summer, as his contract expires, so could be a wise addition, particularly given the Hurst link. Henderson is only 21, he was rated highly at Shrewsbury (where he was a fan favourite), and has been capped at almost every England youth level. While there is bound to be a lot of competition for his signature, we've got a fighting chance, and could be a brilliant, long-term replacement for Bart.

12. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I don't get it, you would have Chambers :emoticon-0183-swearand then Waggy at RM?
    Nugs, Skuse is shocking mate and should be nowhere near starting 11.

13. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I think we look like a half decent squad. Certainly a mid table squad, which people were pretty damning of when Mick left "Relegated without him" and "No quality in there" were statements that I thought were a little harsh from mainstream media who don't really follow championship (and certainly not Ipswich)

Probably in need of another centre back in order to allow Wolfenden or Smith to go and get some game time in L1 or L2 as don't think we can have both on the bench all season. Wouldn't be against another full back (Jonny Parr anyone?) but hopefully Emmanuel will come back and cement a place
    Midfield looks pretty strong in the middle, but in desperate need of some width and pace in there, wouldn't be surprised to see Nydam go out on loan
    Would also like to see another striker a group of Waghorn, Garner, Sears +New Striker would be decent and allow Folami, Morris and Drinan to provide cover from the bench with one (if not two) of them having spells out on loan

Bart
    Emmauel | Chambers | Webster | Jonas
    Skuse | Huws
    Bishop | Dozzell | Sears
    Waghorn

Subs: GK, Spence, Kenlock, Adayemi, Ward, Garner, Folami

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What is it against Chambers?

Waghorn needs to be in the team as our best player at present but I don't think he's most effective as an out an out striker. I'd have him as RW in a three or as a RM or CAM.

15. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I saw a comment somewhere that Hurst likes one touch football, he'll just have to explain to Chambo that "launch into Row Z" doesn't count as one touch!

16. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think we need to let the players have a chance at playing football rather than just kicking it as far as possible before we judge them.

itfcptc likes this.
  17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

This is it, we can't judge. Personally I want defenders to be defenders first. If we end up playing like Man City / Barcelona then all well and good but first of all we need to defend a lot better.

18. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I accept I was being facetious ,we've often commented how Mick took an OK talented player and coached the football out of them.Hopefully Hurst can reverse the process!

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I think this is the reason most of the young talent at the club ended up going to waste. Makes you wonder what the hell Mick was doing in charge of a football club, really.

20. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Shot at promotion next season!? I'd love it mate but don't see it.