1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Conte starting to get as dipsy as Jose

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Got to say, I am getting a bit nonplussed by Contes' weird behaviour. Firstly, he moaned long and loud,rightly, about the lack of signings. But then he kept it going, and going and going. He sent a seriously dumb e mail to Costa that pissed off pretty much everyone in the Club. He failed to start Michy and even publicly put him down. He spat the dummy with Kenedy, then Luiz and Kenedy again.
    I think a few Kangaroos are loose in his top paddock.
    He picks unwinable fights for no reason, he upsets players , including Willian, who's ready for the off, and he looks more and more like some petulant schoolboy than a grown up professional Manager on several million a year.
    Personnel management is a big part of the job, and I am by no means convinced he can do this well. Don't doubt his football skills, but starting to think that's not enough for the top job at the top level.
    How he handles Luiz will answer a lot of my questions.

2. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I made no secret of how I was baffled and pissed off about how he handled the whole Costa thing.
    Seemed pathetic to me.
    And this thing with Luiz as well. There is no need to diss your own players in public and tell them you dont want them at the club any more, thats not the correct way to do things, it is immature, disrespectful and insulting.

Like Jose, Conte seems to be the type of manager who is all laughter and light and the life and soul of the party when things are going swimmingly, but as soon as he hits a bump in the road, the dummy is spat out and the toys are thrown out of the pram.

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Add the fact that Roman has an itchy trigger finger
    that is no respecter of reputation or previous success
    (at Chelsky or elsewhere) , and you can understand why
    Conte is feeling the pressure of the PL/CL campaigns
    this season.

4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So what has happened with Luis? I watched the game where he was dropped but didn't really get why?

5. Chelsea Pensioner

No one does, though there are 2 theories.
    1. Luiz played so badly he had to take the wrap for the whole teams' bad performance. This doesn't fly with me. He had a poor game, but Cahills change of position was a big factor. Some say Luiz asked for this change ?
    2. After the match he questioned Conte about his tactics. That sounds more likely, especially if it was done publicly, and might explain Contes' apparent over -reaction.
    Whatever it was, enough already, act like grown ups and get over it.
    With Zouma now looking likely to leave for PSG or Barca, and Luiz being talked about going to Utd., plus Christensens' Dad repeatedly saying he wants his son to leave Chelsea, Conte could unwittingly drive away the heart of our future defence.

Just had a news break come through, middle of night your time.
    Luiz back in squad for West Brom, Conte saying his dropping was "tactical" he's pleased he now has Christensen able to rotate with Luiz and/or others in defence.
    Looks like sanity may have prevailed and Luiz and Conte both acted properly to resolve this.
    If so, best news possible.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    luvgonzo likes this.
  6. The Ginger Marks

I think everybody's jumping the gun and seeing problems where there isn't really any. The spat between Conte- Costa occurred just after Christmas when Costa lost form from all the attention he was getting from Athleti. Conte somehow brokered peace and Costa regained form the rest as they say is history. Whether there was an understanding between the two regarding Athleti no one knows? But it sure worked out that way.

The other point made was Conte's call for more players, it's understood that Emenalo was responsible for the slowness of some approaches therefore losing targets but it's well known that Conte & Roman had talks regarding this and now Emenalo has stood down and left the club. The Luiz situation is that he had played two consecutive games like a blind Sunday park player and was rightly dropped for those horrid performances. If Conte has any problems it's that he is a workaholic and possibly trains the players too hard, poor little loves that they are.

7. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

I judged him at the end of last season!!.... Let the bloke do things his way.
    We're 4 up as i type this.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

It remains to be seen what will happen now that Emenalo is gone.
    A lot of the pressure Conte was feeling was due to him by all accounts.
    So maybe with him gone things will settle down....at least thats what I am hoping, but you never know.
    Results seem to be decent at the moment so lets wait and see what happens.

9. CFC: Champs £launderx17

He managed the biggest club in Italy, the Italian national side and won us the league last season.

No need to be so reactionary: give the bloke a break

10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, while I don't agree with all of Conte's actions and comments so far this season, I will ultimately reserve my main judgement till the end of the season.
    If we finish in the top 3 and do better in the CL, then that is fine for me.

11. CFC: Champs £launderx17

I’d like top 2, CL Qf knocking out one quality opponent and domestic cup

12. Chelsea Pensioner

He doesn't need me to give him a break, he just has to move on from his disapointments, calm down and lessen the pressure, most of which he is putting on himself. He has no problems when it comes to getting the team playing, he has started to adapt our formation by small changes and he has already got us looking better after the Roma game. Public feuds with senior players are not helpful to anyone, and are an unnecessary distraction for him. That's all I was trying to say.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Bodinki likes this.
  13. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

.......and the Italian National side would have qualified for the World Cup if Conte was still their manger. Conte’s probably one of the greatest young managerial talents in World football - we must not lose sight of that fact.

armchairblue likes this.
  14. armchairblue

So true mate....would you swap him for Ancelotti,JM or Pep?...Sure i wouldn't.

15. Bristol Blue

Bristol Blue Well-Known Member

Like you, I wouldn’t swap Conte for any of the managers you mention. Conte is a stylish winner.

16. CFC: Champs £launderx17

If/when it goes wrong, would take Carlo probably out of those 3

17. armchairblue

Carlo didn't do much first time round,pretty sure Ray was calling all the shots.Other thing is he's 68,not exactly
    young and ambitious<laugh>

StanDMan likes this.
  18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Late to the party but i'm on Contes side.

If he feels the need to drop players to assert his authority then thats fine with me.

As far as i am concerned, he hasn't explicitly bad mouthed/said anything bad about Luiz, just dropped him and said it was tactical.

If that is what he needs to do to keep the dressing room in check then i'm all for it as a certain Fergie used to do that too.

Imagine he let the larger than life Luiz (presuming he did wrong, by the Luiz is my favourite Chelsea player) take the piss and keep his place (whether thats questioning or just through poor form) that is bad management.

Jose and generally other managers persist with big names who they try to stay loyal to even when its clear they are detriment to the team (costa, hazard, fabregas all playing turd in his tenor).

I'm not saying just cast players out but sometimes you need to try new things and have new ideas and Conte has done this consistently and i'm glad Christensen hasn't let him down

StanDMan likes this.
  19. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Simeone would probably be my choice for next season if Conte went.

20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

no thanks. If conte went i think i'd prefer a slightly more stylish manager (Simeone is very much a mourinho like manager). Think i wouldn't mind Marco Silva (thats a big big risk).

Lacking that maybe go with someone like Sari from Napoli or Marcelino at Valencia. Obviously these are just pipe dreams, those names are not big enough.