1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Connolly's new contract.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by redwhitedynamite, May 3, 2011.

1. redwhitedynamite

What are people on here's views on Connolly's new contract?

IMO he should definatley get one, he clearly has experience at champ level and would be a massive asset. One of my fav players and would say he can be as good as barnard on his day.

Thoughts?

2. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

There's no justice in the world if he isn't offered one.

Class on the pitch.

Class off the pitch - amid the celebrations he made sure he clapped the Plymouth fans off yesterday. Brilliant.

3. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

please log in to view this image

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

He's 34 in a couple of weeks Just a couple of years younger than Jaidi. In footballing terms he is getting on a bit for the championship. I can't see them keeping Jaidi although they might keep Connolly as back up, although it has to be doubtful. They have to be earnestly planning for stage two.....so they have to be looking for Premier experience targets. Is there any talent that would interest us on any of the likely relegation teams from the premier or championship?

5. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I personallyy don't think he will get a new contract, however much I would like him to

6. Matt-SFC

Matt-SFC Member

I really hope he gets a contract. He has been fantastic in the last few games and he has plenty of championship experience.

7. Gabriel's Boots

As an "impact" substitute he may be worth another year. You need a bit of experience in the Championship, and Lambert and Barnard have never played above League One level. Thinking about it, just about every other member of the first team has at least played in the Championship. Not sure if Dickson has. Don't know what point I've been making here, but make of it what you will.

8. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

He may be 34 but with the likelihood of getting a few games at least and being a bench warmer he could be a very valuable asset. He has undoubted class and even in the Championship can open up a defence with his clever runs. He can also help the younger players by letting them simply watch and at times work with him.

9. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

Added to that is the fact that apart from showing our players how to make some telling runs he can show them how to behave.

10. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

I really cant see him being given a contract, dont think he could cut it in the Championship based on his fitness alone as he had somewhat of injury spell all season.

11. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

Quote:"He's 34 in a couple of weeks Just a couple of years younger than Jaidi. In footballing terms he is getting on a bit for the championship"

Kevin Phillips is 38 in July and still playing in the Prem, so Connolly's age alone might not be the deciding factor. His reliability is what will determine any contract extension I would have thought.

12. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Now that is a fair comment.... and Kevin is still scoring goals......as you say a good bench or impact player. Food for thought. His injury problem is his down fall.......... That's the difference between Phillips and Connolly, Phillips hasn't been out for long periods of time. Where as Connolly has had a lot of long lay offs over the last 5/6 years. I think too, it just might be that, that goes against him. We will have to wait and see.

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It all depends if they believe his problems are behind him. He certainly looks fit (he says he's the fittest in the team!). He has the experience. In fact, they used him for a demonstration on how to make space on the LateKickOff show last night (when he set up Lallana's goal). I think he's worth a limited contract.

14. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

On the face of it, it doesn't appear to be an easy decision but maybe Nige has seen enough to convince him to take a chance. I think I'd be right in saying that we all love Barney's attitude but IMO if you had to choose between him and a fit Connolly, DC would get the vote. It's just how much of a gamble it is on Connolly's fitness holding up.