1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Comings and Goings Summer 2017

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's probably too soon to start rumouring, particularly about any departures.

However, starting with good news only, according to the Herald, Graham Carey has said:

"At the minute I see my future here. But that's not up to me really. It's up to the manager and the board."

Derek Adams was asked if he wanted to keep Carey and replied "There is no doubt about that. Graham has been very good in League Two for us and I believe he can be good in League One as well."

However, he had to go and spoil it by adding "It's difficult because we have got to live within our means. That's what this football club has tried to achieve after going into administration. There has (sic) been previous boards and managers that have wasted a lot of money and we can't get ourselves into that situation again. So we will live within our means and that's what we will strive to do."

Five quid more each on season tickets anyone?

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Prices have been published notdistant. I think the early bird prices are the same.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Dont believe everything/anything you read in the herald!

4. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've read that Bristol City are showing interest in Graham Carey.

Also talk in Scotland that Derek Adams is interested in Jayden Stockley 23 years old, 6ft 3in striker at present on loan from Bournemouth at Aberdeen.....been at Bournemouth all his playing life....but always been out on loan.

Clubs he has been lent to include....Accrington, Leyton O, Torquay, Cambridge, Luton, Portsmouth & Exeter where he scored roughly 10 goals in something like 20 games in 2016.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The problem with match videos is that all and sundry can watch them......the reason I say that is.....Argyle's third goal.....I've watched it quite a few times.....Carey kept jinking around trying to work an angle for his left foot....the defence was good, the goalie wasn't really out of position.....and when the moment came the smallest of gaps between the defender and the keepers left hand post appeared....and the ball was in the back of the net.

I think that might of impressed a few Clubs, unfortunately.....loyalty to Adams can be stretch with a good enough offer for Carey to weaken his resolve and be gone....lets hope we can offer him enough to stay......maybe other clubs might not give him the freedom that Adams allows him to have.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've come to the conclusion that whoever they are and however much we want them to stay it will make no difference to the outcome whatsoever. So, if he signs on then great and if not we move on. Argyle will not come to an end whether he goes or stays.

7. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

Carey is currently discussing terms I believe and will either take the reasonable pay rise I suspect we will offer or leave to further his prospects.
    If Carey does leave then I hope that the others stay on and we can keep Kennedy & Tanner for another season (or sign Tanner up).

A goal machine striker like Hylton or Marquis is needed I think, Taylor does not look like he will be that - although I'd like Blissett or Brunt to be given a chance - If they are still here at the start of pre-season.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There are pretty strong rumours about Carey and Shef Utd on pasoti. If the sort of money being talked about is half right then he is gone. There is no way we could or would match it.

Can I say that as much as I would like him to be here, if he isn't then it will prove to everyone, in my opinion, how much we wouldn't miss him. Fox is excellent and Sarcevic is quite useful as well in the middle. I think we could manage well enough so I'm not going to be overly disappointed this time.

9. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I would accept him leaving for Championship football, to move to another League One club (bar I suppose Wigan or Blackburn) would not I think be worth it.

That said I am just hoping he does not join another League One club as I would hate us to have to play him.

10. notDistantGreen

Nine released of what you might call senior players.

Ryan Brunt, Nauris Bulvitis, Ryan Donaldson, Vincent Dorel, David Ijaha, Louis Rooney, Jordan Slew, Connor Smith, Jimmy Spencer.

I have some regrets about Jordan Slew and Jimmy Spencer in particular but in Adams We Trust.

I'm disappointed that Yann Songo'o had an option to enforce another 12 months and therefore stays.

Graham Carey, Mark McCallum, Gary Sawyer have been offered new contracts.

Read more at http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/retained-list-3712494.aspx#XcmOXpB4L3w8Kd6K.99

11. lyndhurstgreen

Interesting that you say that; Yann, for all his inconsistencies, made the most appearances apart from Luke M (i think) so he must be doing something right.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Adams did take him off recently....it was said that he was having a mare of a game.....and he did walk past Adams with no response either way....as if he was out of favour.....there where a few comments about it at the time.

13. notDistantGreen

I know that Lyndhurst but for the life of me I don't know what.

At CB, he frightens the life out of me. He's not so good on the ball and constantly gets caught in possession or making risky passes. The Crewe game was a classic case. There's no disgrace in finding Row Q when you're in trouble but he doesn't do that. Sokolik is more comfortable on the on the ball than anyone since Nelson and just as good as a defender as Songo'o far as I can tell. Songo'o also regularly gets under the ball so that he either doesn't get his head to it at all or it goes 15ft up in the air and comes back down where it started.

Most of his appearances were in midfield where these issues are not quite so critical but they are still there.

I hate to single players out but I really think we have (or had) better options in Sokolik and Bulvitis, no no longer one of us. Still, as i said, In Adams We Trust.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe Adams sees Songo'o more of a mid-field destroyer.....and he will be looking for a central defender during the summer to replace him......he probably got a few lower Scottish Premiership players in mind.....even from believe it or not Ross County.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just read the list and if I'm honest I can't say I am shocked at any of the stay or the go lists. Songo'o makes mistakes as do all of them but I don't think he is a bad player. The only one that I'm sorry about is Brunt. I'm not shocked he is released but I like him as a real trier and felt he never got his real chance to shine due to his injury. Unlucky is what I would say rather than not good enough. Adams got rid of a bigger load last season and built a better side so we can hardly question his judgement can we. The interest will come when players start to sign. As for Carey it seems nobody is still any the wiser about the will he won't he thing. I'm still neutral about it. Not worth a load of cash being shed to keep him. Wouldn't mind if he did stay but not at the expense of a couple of players we might have as well. Can't blame him for taking the extra dosh somewhere else if it's on offer. Will be an interesting month ahead I'd say.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  16. lyndhurstgreen

Graham Carey has a month to make his mind up (iaw the rules) so expect very little news for the next 4 weeks.

17. notDistantGreen

Depends what you call a load of cash.

Carey is the player that made us different last season and I think he'd be the same in League 1. That merits being paid more than other players. How much more is debatable but I hope we don't lose him because of some self imposed pay ceiling.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It is disappointing that Graham Carey has been allowed to get to the situation of being out of contract this summer......for Carey it means he will cost nothing to buy...which means he can probably negotiate a good signing on fee and a contract for two or three years at better wages than Argyle can afford....I believe we missed out last summer regarding some players that moved on......now that we are becoming more financially stable I hope that this situation will change for the better.....I can think of some ways that PAFC miss out financially all the time.....in my case where I cannot guarantee coming to a home game as an exile the club miss out on some kind of membership for me for quite basic things like..... email updates, membership card with PAFC's fixture list and say a club lapel badge....maybe some form of discount from the shop....for say £25/30 a season......as I've said before being right at the back of the match ticket queue....which makes travelling/hotel booking a last minute thing and of course more expensive.

PS.......I'm now 78 (quite active still and find it difficult to believe that I'm that old)...so I've been following the greens for about 70 years and nothing to show for it other than PASALB membership.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's always the same isn't it when a favorite son might decide to depart elsewhere. The club gets slaughtered for not doing this or not doing that. The truth though is we offered the contracts that suited the club at the time with people screaming about not overspending and living within our means. Once we were doing well we offered ones like Carey a new contract the terms of which none of us know. There is no way on this earth that we could force a decision. It is easy to say after events that we should have done this or that but they have to work on the here and now. People on here have been crying on about us living within our means and not busting a gut financially. Now the club mention doing precisely that people are beginning to want them to bust a ceiling or pay more than perhaps they should for this one player. Well just because nobody wants him to go it does not mean they can change their minds now. Either the club goes for it or it is restrained and people can't have it both ways. I do not want the squad upset by one player being singled out for big or much bigger bucks than all the rest. Top earner is one thing but way more than anyone else is not.

20. lyndhurstgreen

All I can say is that GC has been offered a very fair deal. Will he stay or not, I have no idea, but I suspect he may well try and bank some silly cash elsewhere. Players come and go-GC has been good for the team and great for the club and it will be sad to see him go-but I doubt very much that he will be missed in 6 months time, that's football...