1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Comings and Goings Summer 2016

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, May 20, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good sign for next season that Carey has signed a one year extension to his contract whatever league Argyle are playing in....there are others who can trigger a similar situation because of the number of games that they have played.

Just need a few major quality players in during the summer to strengthen a Div 1 team or if not build a promotion team for Div2 that won't need to sod about with the play-offs next year.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just read the story and it is indeed good news. Despite my misgivings at times I would also like Wylde to sign if he needs to and I absolutely definately want Matt signed on. Just think of him and Brunt being fit. Reid can go for me. Injury prone and takes far too long to get fit again. To be fair I'd like to keep most of them. I don't think there is a great deal between one and two standard wise and a team with a winning mentality can be a big advantage using Burton as a prime example. Bristol Rovers being another. We need a couple of new players of a decent skill level. Haven't thought far enough to think what position yet but we need more of a squad next term than we had this one.

4. notDistantGreen

Firstly, we need more contract players rather than loans so that a couple of injuries to the wrong people don't mean we can't turn out a balanced side.

Also, players who can fill a couple of roles are always handy - McHugh is a good case in point and potentially Threlkeld might be another. I'm pleased to see Purrington holding his own in midfield.

After that I suppose the question is what formations do we expect to be playing and critically, one striker or two?

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Transfer rumours of Derek Adams being interested in 26yr old Lionel Ainsworth in the Herald.

Ainsworth is a 5ft 5in right winger who plays at present for Motherwell and has represented England in his younger years up to the age of under 21's.....Adams has been an admirer of the player for a few years....he still has a year left on his contract....played over 30 games last season but has recently fallen out of favour with his manager ......played for various english clubs over the years....scored 47 goals in a career spanning 302 games. Motherwell finished 5th in this seasons Scottish Premiership.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

He's not a relative of that Wycombe manager is he? God forbid.......

7. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I think Lionel ritchie son

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Brent is only funding signings by the yard so I hear.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Looks like we have more miles to travel next season.

To.....Doncaster...Blackpool...Colchester...Crewe...Cheltenham & Grimsby.

But not to.....Northampton...Oxford...Bristol R...AFC Wimbledon...Dag & Red or York.

I've lost two of my more local games in AFC Wimbledon & Dag & Red.

I'll have to consider Barnet & Orient if I want to see any Argyle games next season.

Must keep going after the mega disappoitment of Wembley.

PS.....for 33 games of the season we were in an automatic promotion spot.....only Argyle could fail from there......I'll let you guess how many games AFC Wimbledon were in an automatic promotion spot.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Josh Simpson has revealed that he is leaving the club this summer.

Argyle have released teenager mid-fielder Callum Hall after one season as a proffesional.

11. notDistantGreen

Very nice Tweet from Jamille Matt yesterday. Quite a long statement which is, wait for it, pretty well written. Not a "yoof grammer" touch in it anywhere, which makes a change for a football Tweet.

"My future has yet to be decided as there is a lot to weigh up, but we keep looking forward and whether or not I'm part of the club again next season, one thing is for sure, the Green Army have had a massive effect on myself (OK should be "me" but still) and no matter what, we keep moving forward to get this club back to where it should be"

I'd summarise that as a sign saying "Open Door, Please Push Here" wouldn't you?

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Would be disappointed if we didn't bring him back......as a two up front partnership with Reid.

13. notDistantGreen

Twitter polls from small numbers self-selecting respondents: still talking points though.

Keep % / Release % - balance in each case undecided

Dorel 73 / 10
    Smalley 5 / 85
    Purrington 75 / 12
    Bittner 14 / 67 - now coaching
    Rooney 85 / 7
    Brunt 92 / 4
    Harvey 70 / 19
    Wylde 87 / 6
    Reid 61 / 20 - who are the 20% FFS?
    McHugh 94 / 4
    Carey 96 / 3
    Jervis 45 / 32
    Nelson 94 / 5 - nothing to stop ECFC fans voting in the 5%, hard to see who else they are
    Hartley 78 / 11 - only player named after a district of Plymouth
    Mellor 9 / 79 - ouch
    McCormick 85 / 7

14. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Neck on the block but I wouldn't be bothered if Reuben went elsewhere. There was a period when Brunty was playing well and the team played well, but as soon as Reid came on we struggled. I have a theory (!) that he doesn't really fit into how Adams wants the team to play. Clearly his goals were hugely valuable for a couple of seasons but I think he may have run his course. Equally if he stays I wont mind, but IF we can sign Matt and Brunty gets fit then I think we have better options....

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I would take Matt over Reid. I think Reid is a bit of a moody character whereas Matt rolls up sleeves and just plays when given the nod. My one and only reservation is that he and Brunt are very similar players and I doubt they would look good on the field at the same time. That's in a get in the way sort of thing. I think a lot less people are extra kean on Reid staying at all costs than there were a while ago.

I think the percentage is a bit unfair on Mellor as that seems to suggest everyone is blaming him somehow and he is the only scapegoat. When he is on form he is brilliant but it's when he does the defence bit and tries to do something silly just outside his own area or in it sometimes. He scares the living daylights out of me everytime. As for the rest of them I would be happy enough if one or two moved on. Well not sad to see them go without maybe wishing for it. Take it or leave it is how I would best describe it. Jervis is one, Hartley another although less so as he does give it 100%. Mellor could be added to that list. Definately a waste of wages is Bittner. I can't even see him as a Coach to be honest. The rest are pretty decent most of the time so would keep. Yes even Wylde.

16. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I see J. Matt has been released by Fleetwood today. Come on Argyle, lets show some intent to get a deeper squad and sign him up as soon as possible rather than faffing about until the last moment as usual. Even if he isn't first pick he is good competition. Will the club have the balls to act now or will they wait until the current squad have decided on whether they are staying or going-if they wait then there is every chance that someone else will already have snaffled him up.

17. notDistantGreen

I think we should have at least an option to play 2 strikers - which means having 4 in the squad.

Reid is a must-have for me. He did more in the 15 minutes he was on at Wembley than Matt did in the other 75. The ball tends to stick to Reid whereas it almost always bounces off Matt and we know Reid can score goals.

Having said that, Matt has scored a few and so if he's available, which he is, and if he wants to come, which it sounds as if he does, sign him up.

Hopefully Brunt will be fit again soon and I presume he wouldn't have been offered a contract if it wasn't believed he'd be OK.

Is Rooney ready to be the 4th?

If Adams is looking at a right winger, then where does that leave Jervis? He referred to himself jokingly as Argyle's "right wingback" in the Sky pre-game piece on the PAFC team. I suspect that hints that he'd rather play through the middle.

PS For obvious reasons, we're starting recruitment late. Some options have already passed us by:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36420840

Let's hope Adams has a list....

18. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well i think we should sign Matt up now he is free to go. Yes other teams are making signings, but we always wait about.. Do it early and at least we the fans will feel as that we are going forward. i se Exeter have signed 3 already.. So let us get some good players in.. i suspect Adams may have some in mind.. but it all depends how much he has to spend..

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I can't see why we wouldn't want to sign Matt. I also think that he has more than hinted he would be up for it as well before his release was announced. His job is to score goals and to be fair he did more of that than Reid did given appearances and goals scored. I also think the ball bounces off Reid often enough as well. Not in every game having said that but when he is off colour he is as bad as the next player for it. My one disappointment so far is that Jervis has extended. I am not enamoured with him at all. He starts well and then disappears and I think that is a complaint that supporters all over the place have had with him.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Football League World's website are saying that the Herald reckons that PAFC are on the verge of signing Jamille Matt.....what the hell is taking them so long.