1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough!!!

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by 2020VisionofLeeds, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Listening to the report on MK Dons v Wimbledon FC made me wonder what other fans think about what seems to be a highly charged subject for those involved. Does it bother you that MK Dons were created on the back of an existing club? After all its only an hour and a half's drive from London to Milton Keynes, why did it matter so much? Or are the Wimbledon FC lot being a bit precious about all this?

Also, why, when franchise FC's are mentioned, is this the only case that ever gets mentioned? After all, Millwall moved all the way from the Isle of Dogs to Bermondsey in 1910, probably an hour and a half's walk away (not even mentioning its on the other side of the river). As representatives of the original "Franchise FC" maybe any Millwall fans who happen to pass by, might like to let us know what its like supporting a club that sold its soul for a better location and more cash and bigger gates?

2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my favourite dream - I become fabulously rich, buy scum & sell off all the players. Then take a few years watching them slide down the divisions into non-league obscurity. Love it!

3. 2020VisionofLeeds

sorry, why did mentioning Millwall make you think of non-league obscurity?

I'm on a serious point here, how ashamed would you be if you woke up one morning and realised you were a Millwall supporter? (Well, obviously, very.... but I mean how ashamed f being a franchise team?)

4. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

A real franchise club would change its shirt colour to emulate a massive club like Real Madrid <whistle>

5. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Of course - the REALLY plastic Franchises would change their name from City to United to try and copy that relly successful lot from Salford <ok>

6. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

They'd also invent a scenario where they won a cup and sing a song about it. Oh wait that happened.

7. 2020VisionofLeeds

It did happen. Well spotted

8. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

So you're suggesting you beat Bayern Munich now?

9. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Indeed it did - You changed your shirts to White and your name to United <laugh>

10. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

First of all, Millwall didn't make me think of non-League obscurity. I like my little daydream & it doesn't take much to kick it off.

Secondly, I would not feel ashamed if I awoke to find that LUFC had been renamed, I'd be bloody angry! Shame has no part of it. I would not support the team whether the takeover was by Millwall or a UK subsidiary of Barcelona. End of.

11. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Thought you did get renamed 5 years ago after fleecing local businesses and the tax-man via offshore bank accounts?

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I suspect I'm nibbling on some rather obvious bait but, Leeds United ARE a franchise. Rather than being dismissed as the rules dictate, the current Leeds were allowed to take the place of the old Leeds, which Bates scrapped.

13. Quinntan

Quinntan Member

I don't know where you're getting the notion of the name change from, to be honest with you. Leeds City were forced to disband after paying their players during WWI. As for the kit, well, that was a decision made by the manager now, wasn't it. It's not as if we changed them to appease foreign investors from, let's say... Asia.

14. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Did it change from Leeds City to Leeds United?
    Did you change your shirt colours to match Real Madrid's?

15. Exodus Geohaghon

Exodus Geohaghon Active Member

Arsenal are another franchise club along with Millwall and MK Dons, who betrayed their original roots.

I personally have no respect for any of them.

Neither of those make you a franchise. If they changed the kit colour for money (like Cardiff) then it would be, but it was done with the fans' consent (and actually no-one really gives a **** that it was intended to emulate R Madrid's colour since it's now widely associated with the white rose of Yorkshire).

16. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Have you just been sold to the highest bidder that happened to be a Private Equity firm that specializes in buying franchises?

17. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Shame we couldnt invent a song about getting mauled by the tigers....

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It must be cold there in our shadow. <ok>

If you manage to stick around as a club more than just the few years you've managed so far, you'll start to pick up a few songs of your own. :biggrin::emoticon-0109-kiss:

19. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

TC, Leeds United are a completely separate club from Leeds City. <ok>

EDIT: DMD, you've got it wrong too, we're not in the same situation as, say, Sevco Rangers. We're the same club that was transferred to a different holding company.

20. 2020VisionofLeeds

You've got me thinking about it now - the sacking Fergie bit would be good. There are so many candidates to replace him who would meet all my requirements, especially with the bit of help that no funds would provide. I'd change the strip to all white ... or maybe pink. Can't decide. I think the objective would be to lose to Tow Law Town (if they still exist) in some obscure northern league competition. You'd sell off OT and build a plastic factory on the site, somehow that would be appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.