1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Combined SAFC/NUFC First XI

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Jack TheLad, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Been mentioned on another thread - however I think this could spark a decent debate of it's own:

Mine would be:

---------------------Pantilimon---------------------
    Janmaat----O Shea (C)---Mbemba----Jones
    ------------------M'Vila------Cattermole---------
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Borini---------------Wijnaldum-----------Perez
    -------------------------Defoe-----------------------

So 7 SAFC & 4 NUFC players. There's a few that could have made it - likes of Sissoko, Lens etc - full internatonals that would end up on my bench. Left back is an issue throughout I think.

Go on then - what team would you play & how do you think it'd get on in the current league?

My prediction: 10th-13th

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

You've picked the only Mags I have in the entire squad

3. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

------------------------Pants

Janmaat----O'Shea----Mbemba-----Dustbin (all options are rubbish)

------------------M'Vila----- God (Wij)

------Borini---------Perez---------Sissoko

-----------------------Defoe

My prediction? If everyone performs to at least middle ability? Comfortable top 10. Some very, very good players in there.

4. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

With a dustbin at left back? <laugh>

I posted in the other thread so will just paste it here to save some time...

Since Sam came in, JOS and Kaboul have played 4 games together, conceding a total of 2 goals, so I think I'd go for something like (red and white tinted specs on)...

--------------Pantilimon----------------
    Janmaat--JOS--Kaboul---Whoever
    -------------Catts--M'vila---------------
    Borini---------Wijnaldum--------Lens
    -----------------Fletcher-----------------

Fletch obviously not the best striker overall (close between Perez and Defoe imo), but would suit the system better, and has been playing fairly decently this season imo.

As you say, no options between us really at LB (sad state of affairs..). Billy Jones could be the best option - what about Haidara? I've not seen many of your games but from what I have caught he's looked decent-ish going forward at least.

Only other potential change would be Cattermole for Sissoko, but I know his form is patchy at best...

I've put far too much thought into this
    please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

5. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I posted this thread as the subject was briefly mentioned last night - but then everyone seemed to carry on on that thread meaning this one was a bit of a waste of time <doh>

Interesting to see that we're pretty much in agreement that there's more SAFC players than NUFC that we'd rather have. Probably shows we're not far away from moving away from the bottom 3.

6. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

GK - Pantilimon/Krul I have absolutely no preference, both would be replaced with me as manager.
    RB - Janmaat
    CB - M'bemba
    CB - O'Shea
    LB - ****ing hell
    CM - M'Vila
    LCM - Wijnaldum
    RCM - Sissoko
    LF - Lens
    RF - Watmore/Thauvin - both have shown incredible potential, these are my gambles.
    CF - Mitrovic

Controversial one is the CF, Mitrovic. Maybe he hasn't performed well in his opening few games, but he's got the weight of that shambles of a club on his shoulders and he's 21 years old, that's the same age (younger by a few months) as Duncan Watmore... Imagine having Watmore as your only hope up front. I really think he has what it takes with the right supply; even Shearer would be starved of goals in that side.

Defoe is a good striker, but he doesn't fit in that system for me, he's nowhere near strong enough to play the CF role in that team. Same reason I left Perez out.

7. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Wrll onre thing is for certain both need a left back.

So far we have a dustbin a whoever and a ****ing hell.

8. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

It's difficult as whoever you pen in you think "are they really the best we have to offer?"

In honesty the only player I'd say is a dead cert is Wijnaldum and the rest are personal preference.

Personally I'd go:

GK - Krul (there's not much to pick between him and Pants, Pants currently looks a bit better on form but overall they're both bang average and I've seen more of Krul and he has more experience despite being, I think, younger).

Defence - Janmaat; Mbemba; O'Shea; Yedlin (holy Christ we are both dodgy. Janmaat has actually looked poor this season but was excellent for spells last season and I think will improve with better campanions. Really, really disappointed with Van Aarnholdt who I feel should be the obvious choice for LB but has faded badly)

Midfield - Wijnaldum; Cattermole; M'Villa; Sissoko; Lens ( I think M'Villa looks very good, I actually really like Cattermole for some reason and then in Wij/ Sis and Lens there's a mixture of attacking intent but an ability to retain the ball and actually play football - the problem is flair and the players we have for this aren't yet regularly convincing)

Forward - Mitrovic (He's scored bagfuls in lesser leagues, bullied the likes of Arsenal in his teens for Anderlecht and represented Serbia since he was 18. He's had a stuttering start but he's just turned 21 and anyone writing him off after a couple of months is just being a bit silly. For me he looks a handful, he runs and cares and despite starting slowly in a very poor team playing poorly he's got a couple of Premiership goals and anything approaching 10 for the season would be grand for a first full year)