1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coleman draws his line

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Chris Coleman has warned his Sunderland players that he will move them on if they don't buy into his plans.Coleman met his players for the first time on Sunday and led a training session ahead of Tuesday night's clash with Aston Villa.

The 47-year-old told safc.com that he has more than enough in the squad to get out of the current predicament but that he would not tolerate 'shrinking violets'.

He said: "We all defend, we all attack. I had a chat with the players this morning and said that is for other people outside to talk. It is about getting three points and winning, that’s obvious, but what we need to do is focus on performances.

"It is about accountability, very very simple. We all attack, we all defend, we all work with each other. You’re in or you’re out. If you’re committed you’re in, if you’re not you’re out. You can’t pretend, we’ll find out pretty quickly.

"Whoever is not will go and play football somewhere else, if this challenge is too big for them they need to move on. We don’t need shrinking violets that’s for sure, it’s not about talent, that’s never enough. We’ll find out soon enough who wants to take the next step with Sunderland, once we do that we can start planning and moving forward.

"You look at the league and where we are and it is a daunting challenge, but one we’re capable of."

Coleman will be familiar to some of the players from his time at Wales and says it is crucial that the whole squad buys into his vision.

The new Sunderland manager hinted that he is fully aware of the difficult scenario he is entering, smiling wryly as he said that 'nothing good ever came from a comfort zone'.

"It’s nice to know one or two faces, they’ll know me," he said.

"It’s not really about whether players like you it’s whether they respond to you, they respect what your gameplan and vision is, that they want to work in the culture you’ve created.

"For my first day there’s a lot to think about, a lot to ponder, but there is also a lot to look forward to. I’m not sitting here thinking ‘dear me’, on the contrary I’m excited, because of the size of the task and the club it is a bit daunting but that keeps me on my toes.

"I know one thing, nothing ever good came from a comfort zone and I’m not in a comfort zone at Sunderland, I know that."

Coleman has been lauded for his man management skills during Wales' extraordinary run to the semi finals of Euro 2016, and says that only through sticking together in tough times can that be replicated.

He said: "You earn togetherness and you earn team spirit through sticking together in tough times.

"You don’t get it when you’re 3-0 up on a sunny day, everyone is friendly then aren’t they. You don’t get team spirit by going out and having a few drinks either, that kind of spirit is fleeting. It is coming through tough times, then you find out who sticks their head above the parapet and who shrinks away.

"We weren’t always in semi finals with Wales. We were getting our backsides slapped once or twice, me in particular, falling flat on my face, nearly losing my job, but you find out who is around you then.

"We may have some tough times ahead of us and that is where the togetherness comes from. A club of this stature, if we can get it going then there is really, really exciting things that can happen here."

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Aye move them on, Nobody wants them Chris, those we can ship out are like boomarangs, they end up back with us in 12 months. <laugh>

Best of luck Chris, you'll need it. Rooting for you to manage what no other manager has, get rid of the dead wood once and for all, how you're going to manage that god knows, seem more Bains department.

Gil T Azell, Deleted and Burly Hurley like this.
  3. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Class opening interview that, I think he could be perfect for us

Nads and Gil T Azell like this.
  4. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

nice speech now lets see the action Chris

5. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

He's well rehearsed in front of the press.

Actions speak louder than words though mate.

They've all said the right thing at the right time.

I'm very hopeful about this guy though.

We've got a team with rising confidence, playing well but not closing games down.

I think he'll do a good job for us. I still think we'll be safe this season.

6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Anyone fancy an away win on Tuesday, that would be a proper tonic.

7. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Would love it but can’t see it myself

8. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Not really. It's a tough baptism for Coleman.

But we've got goals in us so who knows.

9. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

don't think we will improve much till after the January window.

10. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

To be fair i nearly came in my pants after Graysons first interview. He ticked every box.
    Us fans have been scorned a fair few times these last few years so lets not get too excited again with well chosen words.

Brian Storm likes this.

11. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

If he can move Rodwell on permanently in January I will be impressed. As it’s been mentioned all talk at the moment. Say one thing the guy must have some nuts on him to take this job....

red&white wanderer likes this.
  12. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Didn't want him but great interview and good luck to the fella!!

Bart

13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

This was taken from Chris prior to the goalkeeper training. He has been unable to give comment since and is currently sitting in the corner of his office repeatedly mumbling "just catch the ball" whilst rocking back and forth

Hefty fullback and Dorset like this.
  14. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Complete u turn on the "Coleman out brigade" ****e you've been piling on here since we found out he was going to be our manager!

Jack TheLad likes this.
  15. Canny Lad

Canny Lad Active Member

Yes nice little opening speech, well said but yes rehearsed. A lot of stating the obvious. I did like the bit when he said

"It is about accountability, very very simple. We all attack, we all defend, we all work with each other. You’re in or you’re out. If you’re committed you’re in, if you’re not you’re out. You can’t pretend, we’ll find out pretty quickly.

Hope he can turn it around like we all do...

For me it will be January that tells me what Short and Bain are prepared to do, as in back him... Not long off now

Hefty fullback likes this.
  16. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

BREAKING NEWS: Chris Coleman will NOT be taking over at Sunderland. It is understood that he failed the medical when he had his head examined.

17. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Well I didn't want him, and despite his very good interview where he came across very well (unlike Larry in my eyes), deep down I still don't think he will succeed.

But he spoke very well and appeared to be open & honest about the problems that we have. He clearly has knowledge of the problems that WE all know have been present for years.

So I wish him well and am sorry if I've upset a few folk on here. It's just that the sheer frustration gets to me.

Onwards & Upwards!!

Bart

18. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

<laugh> Not the only one bart! Sometimes all the lads need is a bit of support. There were very few boos at the end of the game on Saturday despite it not being a great result. I think most realised we'd actually been much the better team, and but for poor keeping and better finishing, would've won that game.

The way that you were about him last week was pretty awful which is why I got on your back (along with others) - U turn accepted and onwards we go!!

Nads and master-simpson like this.
  19. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

9th Highest scorers in the league.....

2nd Highest in conceding goals!!

Going forward we're as good as anyone I've seen in the league. Sadly, at the back we're worse than anyone I've seen in this league!

Canny Lad likes this.
  20. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think with the squad we have now and the likes of Kone, Khazri and Kens out of the picture Coleman will find a willing bunch of players. Many of them aren't good enough or fit enough but you can see there's some genuine spirit in there that can be latched on to.