1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread CL - Manchester United v Istanbul United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Nov 24, 2020.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Must win return fixture having come unstuck at theirs the other week. Looking at the group table we should be fine if we can snatch four points from tonight's game.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Do we get a bonus point or something?

glazerfodder likes this.
  3. glazerfodder

Excellent line up - no Pogba and (potentially) a very strong strike force.

4QDwfihz.png

4. glazerfodder

Six points if we play like we should.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

What the ****? I don't understand, why don't we have two defensive midfielders on the pitch?

I thought that was some law or other.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Tbh it looks like we don't even have one on atm. Fred has been pretty poor.

Very happy with VDB and Fernandes though.

Also Telles has been good again.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We won 4-1 so all is good?

And yet, it seemed more like moments in the game, rather than 90 mins of a purposeful, commanding performance. Nothing to fill me with any lasting confidence in our next game against Southampton anyway.

8. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Ole needs to be brave against so called “inferior” opposition in the premiership too.

yes, let’s make sure the defence is shielded but he has to also make sure that there is enough fire power to strike. For that VDB has to play. He is easily our most dynamic player. Pogba slows the counter down but VdB speeds it up. Ole will probably bench him saying he needs to rest after performing for 90+ minutes last night.

we’ve had ****ty matches after good CL performances. Let’s see whether this time is any different. The only good thing is that we are playing away and the Saints are currently above us. The complacency should be less.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm still not sure he knows his best side or the balance in the team. To be honest I don't think anyone does, and I include fans in that as well. There's that much chopping and changing, especially in midfield. And now we've got the forwards playing in different positions because he's trying to shoehorn Rashford and Cavani together, plus Martial.

It all just seems like "make it up as you go along". Ole needs to show leadership and make difficult choices. Get your formation set, then rotate if you have to with players who play in those positions. He has the squad to do it.

I hope Tuanzebe starts btw. Lindelof being injured may give him the opportunity he needs.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think the first team is fairly obvious myself, bar a couple of position queries.

The starting line up last night for me, pretty much.

I'd have Tunzebe instead of Lindelof every day and, if fit, would probably go with Shaw over Telles for now.

The front three and the middle three are, for me, how the first team should be.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The problem is that selection was like the umpteenth different one from Ole. Players rotating is fine but not playing in different positions or formations.

I wouldn't play Cavani and Rashford in that formation. I thought Cavani looked lost and ineffective last night. Play one of them and have Greenwood on the right.

Will he play with one defensive midfielder or with 2 next game? All keeps changing and no doubt will again at the weekend.

12. Christiansmith

I think we will (or OGS will) eventually accept the obvious: Cavani as the main striker/no9, Rashford on one wing and Greenwood on the other, interchanging with Martial who will also play as occasional No9 to give Cavani a rest as games come in fast and furious. We need a No9 who can unsettle the CBs and Martial is not a real centre forward and Greenwood is still too raw.

my current best 11 will include Cavani at No 9, Greenwood (Martial while G is getting game time) and Rashford on either side. With Fernandes behind them together with VDB and Fred further behind. I would have a back four of Telles, Maguire, Lindelof (if only because he is starting an understanding with Maguire) and AWB. DDG keeps his place until he shows inevitable decline.

Treble and glazerfodder like this.
  13. Christiansmith

It is not only the selection. It is the mentality. It is almost as if we need to have that desperation or emergency to come out and play. When we play at OT I know within minutes whether we are going to have a good game or we are going to be in trouble. It is about the tempo of the start. In all the games we ****ed up at home, we started slowly and tentative. The opposition gets confidence and we can’t shift into a higher gear. We get away with it in away games. But at home, OGS needs to instruct the players that a slow tempo is unacceptable. Even when playing a good team like City or Bayern.

Treble likes this.
  14. glazerfodder

Cavani is a real target centre forward, something we've lacked for years, all this bollocks with Rashford and Martial 'drifting in' from the wings is crap. As has been said, stick Cavani through the middle and have Rashford/ Martial/ Greenwood in rotation to form a front three - that is an awesome strike force. Have BF and RVDB behind and we're sorted - with the number of goals that lot should bang in we shouldn't need a defence.

Diego likes this.
  15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I have been really impressed with Cavani's movement, out of the box, receive the ball lay it off well and straight back into the box looking for/making the space.
    Been very happy with his fitness levels too, i expected him to tire quite quickly but the man stays in there.

Christiansmith likes this.
  16. Christiansmith

Yep. His mobility provides passing opportunities to MFs like BF and VdB and open spaces. Invaluable if you need to break up a packed defence.

Its early days but fingers crossed he'll justify the optimism.

Diego likes this.
  17. glazerfodder

He spent half the game with his back to goal ready to receive the ball - looked like we had RVN back in the side.

Diego likes this.
  18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Both your posts are spot on, especially this <ok> I agree, you can tell within minutes and it is about the mentality. It's almost as if we need time to settle or the players are a bit apprehensive in certain games.

Re: your previous post I think Rashford on the left with Cavani through the middle, or rotating with Rashford through the middle and Martial on the left, both are perfectly good options. But playing all 3 together doesn't work imo. With Martial playing on the left, Cavani and Rashford ended up occupying the same space against the Turks. Cavani's movement is excellent (as has been mentioned) and he adjusts because he's got a footballing brain, but it makes him less effective in terms of scoring goals and doing what you want a No. 9 to do.

Playing without Greenwood, I think is highlighting the lack of options we have on the right.

Diego likes this.