1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chronicle: Ashley to Invest in Young Talent, Cull Current Youths

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Cal., Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

From the Chronicle:

TOON owner Mike Ashley is believed to have ordered a major revamp at Newcastle United – in a move which sees the Magpies attempt to keep pace with some of Europe’s biggest clubs. United ended the January transfer window last night as third-top spenders behind Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers after signing Papiss Cisse. Although FC Twente’s Douglas is near the top of their transfer list this summer, Newcastle are looking to the future.

The Chronicle understands United are not only hoping to add a clutch of quality additions to the first-team pool this summer, but they will also put emphasis on the layers beneath Alan Pardew’s senior roster. United have cleared the decks at the club’s Benton base with a host of younger players told they have no future at the club.

A United insider told the Chronicle: “The vision is for a brighter future at Newcastle. The owner is prepared to put money behind the latest project. It will give the club every chance to compete with clubs around Europe and beyond to make sure they can unearth some of the untapped talent which is clearly already out there.”

The brief to United’s scouting network is set to be intensified with talent from across the globe being lined up as part of an exciting new chapter in the club’s forward-thinking blueprint. It means Toon players such as Hungarian international Tamas Kadar, Faroe Isles international Joan Edmundsson, Jeff Henderson, Greg McDermott, Patrick Nzuzi and Dan Taylor, Phil Airey – currently on loan at Gateshead – have been told to find new clubs, while Ryan Donaldson is also out of contract at the end of the season. The gulf in class between Newcastle’s second string and Manchester United was underlined last week in a 6-0 defeat which was one of the final deciding factors in a brave but exciting step forward. Unlike when Kevin Keegan scrapped United’s reserves in the mid-1990s, this is a restructuring of the set-up.

However, Ashley’s vision is to lure more young stars to the club like Mehdi Abeid and Haris Vuckic, with several younger players set to come during the close season. The Chronicle has also learned Newcastle’s owner is ready to back the plan with a kitty of up to £15m to be invested into the acquisition of talented youngsters from around Europe in the next few years, in a move which will excite some sections of fans.

While the release of a clutch of players considered to be in with a real shout of progression through the ranks will raise eyebrows, United boss Pardew and his backroom team are delighted by young prospects such as Remie Streete, Jak Alnwick and Paul Dummett coming through. Meanwhile, United midfielder Yohan Cabaye has denied his charge of violent conduct from the FA.

2. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

To be honest, as long as Mike doesn't do stupid things like take off the Newcastle United symbol from the Stadium to put Sports Direct signs there or much more stupid ****, I wouldn't mind keeping him as an owner.

He's not pumping bolt loads of money into the club, but I can't argue with some of his policies.

Granted it's the scouts who found all the players, but he still could have just been like the venkeys and bought no one.

Mike Ashley is definitely not the perfect owner and I don't like him, but we could do far worse.

3. I Sit Next To A Badger-Leazes Corner

This.

4. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fine plan to me. I am all the more excited if we can attract more player like Abeid and Vuckic!

5. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

I think in the last 12 months he's done well in his footballing decisions, this is another good one in my opinion. Although I'm sure the cynics will say we're doing it just to become a feeder club and sell on the players as soon as they attract a modicum of interest.

6. holystone

holystone Active Member

We could have so easily " done a Leeds"........our wages in Championship were scary.

7. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

Exciting news, or a smokescreen to deflect from the squad frailties on the day after the window closed? I'll go with exciting news, as I'm enjoying life as a mag for the first time in a long time!

Interesting that Dummett is mentioned as a top prospect. Remi Streete does look fantastic, mind, and I'll hazard a guess that Adam Campbell also features in that list.

8. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

I know we're being sensible, but I'm hoping if we're gonna really push on, that if there's players we could really use, or players that we have now that we want to keep, that we raise the wage cap a little bit.

I can't see the harm if Ba scores around 25 goals this season and ends the season on a high, that if a bigger club comes in for him, we convince him to stay with a pay rise.

I think Ba is easily worth 65k a week plus goal scoring bonuses. I reckon we should pay that if we need to to keep him.

9. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

He's certainly learning the game and he's not used to being a loser so we could see better things from him.

I like what I've seen of Kadar and Donaldson and I'm surprised we're not holding onto them.

10. abc CissesCurriedGoat abc

abc CissesCurriedGoat abc Well-Known Member

The next two transfer windows or so will be critical in reassessing our criticisms of Mike Ashley. Let's say the next two transfer windows we continue to steadily improve the squad and compete, then we will have to admit that he since the relegation has made the club take huge steps in the right direction... As of now I'm not willing to say that he has already done so, but is taking steps in the right direction..

11. Santons pizzeria

Could be a sign of how high we are trying to push if the likes of Kadar are going to be released!

12. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

A sound plan for the coming years so that we can develop the talent to play the football we want to be playing in the future and avoid hefty transfer costs.

Hope Inman stays.

13. Shola's Best Hat

Imagine how embarrassing it was for him at his high powered meetings with partners and clients with his relegated Championship team. Apart from money, I reckon he'd want us to be successful for the sake of his own pride.

14. Colly NUFC

Colly NUFC Active Member

Sounds good to me, if we're willing to play Danny Simpson at centre half instead of our reserve centre back then its clear the same stringent scouting that goes into our first team signings needs to be applied to our youth players too. I'm not advocating a complete clearout, but sounds very promising to me. Don't forget a lot of the non local players in our reserves are from the Wise era, even if that does include Tim Krul.

15. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

I'd like to see his pride go through the roof if it means we're going to win something.

16. beardface

beardface Active Member

This is a positive way at looking at things <ok>

Disappointed to see Kadar go but clearly Pardew isn't keen on him. Cant complain about bringing in exciting youngsters to bed into the first team!

17. nufc4life

nufc4life Guest

here is to the future where doing well at the minute lets keep it up

18. The Strawberry Syrup Man

The Strawberry Syrup Man Well-Known Member

Younger. Better. Faster. I love the policy. Not a huge fan of the man and the off the field choices but on it he has been good this season

19. Why aye Cabaye

Why aye Cabaye Active Member

On the surface it seems like an excellent plan.

No disrespect to those names mentioned that will be moved on, but it's tough to see them progressing well enough to be Premier League players. Hopefully they come back to prove us wrong one day, but I see a lot of future lower league journey men in that list.

20. Pipe4Life

Pipe4Life Active Member

I still reckon kadar will come good eventually given a proper run in a first team squad somewhere. i reckon he would've already made the break through if not for some pretty serious injuries but its impossible to say if thats a contributing factor.

the lad looked like he had real class on the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.