1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chrissy Hughton

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

A quick word on the only one of our last seven managers still to have a job in football management...

Brighton looking superb. I for one am delighted. I'm sure plenty will disagree, but I think he is a very good manager (he just wasn't right for us in terms of what we needed to do to get to the next level). I really hope he brings Brighton up (which will also be an excellent achievement for Brighton and a fresh team for the PL).

2. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

I still don't believe Hughton was a total disaster here, he had a good first season and brought in some good players, but in the end it didn't work sadly. I don't hold any bitterness towards him, I don't see why I would tbh.

I've always said Chris Hughton is a good manager at Championship level, and I'm pleased his doing well at Brighton.

royalbarclayfan and Canary Rob like this.
  3. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

My bete noire, I know. But he did it at Newcastle, he did well at Brum, and now he's doing it at Brighton. So why was he so dreadful with us? The only thing I can think is that for some reason he never had faith in our players and therefore felt he had to play his zombie football because that was the only option.

Looking at Wes the last half of last season and even more this season, if Hughton had put his faith in him instead of in Snodgrass, I think he might have succeeded with us as well.

All credit to him, though, and best wishes because he did genuinely seem a nice guy. (He says through gritted teeth :)

royalbarclayfan and Canary Rob like this.
  4. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Thank you Rob, for making a point of mentioning how well he, and Brighton have started this season. For whatever reason he just couldn´t get us up and running, but that certainlty wasn´t due to lack of will or effort, and I will always maintain that he was never as poor as some people would have him be, so great to see him having some deserved success at the moment.

canary-dave likes this.
  5. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more Rob, and I'm really glad someone has written a thread like this <ok>

Things didn't go great for him with us in the end, but he certainly wasn't a complete disaster - amazing how quickly some people forget the ten game unbeaten run and wins against United, Arsenal and Citeh.

Good on him I say, and I too would love to see Brighton in the top flight.

6. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

Have to agree. I'm critical of his time here but I hold nothing against the man himself.

Didn't expect this transformation in that team though! Very impressive.

7. Oxcanary

Oxcanary Well-Known Member

Might be useful to think about how he has done this again now and then think how he and us became a very bad pairing - lessons learned are useful!

8. Alex Alexander

Alex Alexander New Member

Seems to be doing a good job there.

9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I really was happy when we first got Hughton, because at that point his managerial career looked very good. But because of his spell with us, his credentials at the highest level are certainly in doubt. But it is again obvious that he can organize and get results from a team in the championship. Well done and Good luck to him at Brighton, I don't hold any grudge, although I will never actually think of him with any affection either. The 10 game run is to distant a memory, relative to the slow painful demise to that worse than death relegation.

Bah!

10. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

Pleased it's going well for him. At the time I think we should have given him until the end of the season. Probably lucky we didn't.

11. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree with this, GM and similar to players, like, erm Bradley Johnson :emoticon-0112-wonde, some managers have a certain level at which they can excel - and Hootun in the Prem with us wasn't one of them. Just one of those 'learning curve' things.
    Like you, I wish him well for this season - now he's in charge of somebody else <ok>

12. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

I am pleased that there are many kind words for a man who was much maligned here but always gave his best, was thoroughly professional and a true gentleman who represented the club with dignity. I don't know why it didn't quite happen for him as some of his purchases were top draw and am happy that he is doing a fine job at Brighton.