1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chris Waddle claims that QPR star Charlie Austin is nowhere near ready for England

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Dec 28, 2014.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Chris Waddle claims that QPR star Charlie Austin is nowhere near ready for England
    QUEENS PARK RANGERS hotshot Charlie Austin is nowhere near ready to lead the England line.
    Facebook
    By Harry Pratt / Published 28th December 2014
    The warning that it is far too soon for the prolific Premier League novice to be thrown into the international arena comes from former-Three Lions ace Chris Waddle.
    Austin currently heads the top flight's 'home'scoring charts, having rattled in 11 league goals in 15 games during his first season among the English elite (before Arsenal).
    And that impressive return revelation has somewhat inevitably led to calls for Austin, who was playing with non-league Poole Town only five years ago, to be included by England boss Roy Hodgson in his next squad.
    But Waddle, capped 62 times between 1985 and 1991, is urging caution despite the country's glaring shortage of world-class goalscorers.
    please log in to view this image

Digsby
    IM, Email, and Social Networks in one easy to use application!
    http://kvors.com/click/?s=88377&c=89569&subid=21715
    NOT YET: Waddle believes Austin needs more time before being thrown into the England set-up [GETTY]
    “If England play one up front, he'll have to hold ball up more. Is that his game? We don't know because we haven't seen it yet. It needs to time to analyse that and see what Austin can do for England”
    Chris Waddle
    Yes, Austin, 25, has been a revelation for the Hoops but, according to the ex-Newcastle and Spurs man, the leap from scoring regularly at domestic level to doing likewise on the world stage is massive.
    BBC Five Live pundit Waddle, 54, said: ""Because he's English and we don't have many strikers to choose from, Charlie Austin suddenly comes to the front. Even Peter Crouch is being mentioned again because he's been scoring a few too.
    "But international football is completely different to the Premier League. The Premier League is 100 mph - it's backwards and forwards, like basketball.
    "At international level, it doesn't matter who you play because even the weaker countries play a way we're not used to. You don't get thousands of balls fizzing in the box every game.
    "It doesn't work like that. So you have to think can Charlie Austin hold the ball up? Can he link the play up? Is he that type or a get-the-ball-in-the-box striker?
    "You have to give more than that playing for England. You have to look after the ball. Otherwise it's hard to get it back.
    "Can Austin be that? Or does he need someone up there with him like he has at QPR in Bobby Zamora, who links the play up well?
    "If England play one up front, he'll have to hold ball up more. Is that his game? We don't know because we haven't seen it yet.
    "It needs to time to analyse that and see what Austin can do for England."
    Waddle says we only have to check out the recent decline in form of West Brom striker Saido Berahino to understand the dangers of a premature England call-up.
    Since his inclusion in the senior squad for the first time in November, the Three Lions Under 21 forward has been dumped on the Hawthorns bench after failing to score in seven outings (before Boxing Day).
    Waddle added: "The young lad Berahino gets in the England squad because he scored seven goals for his club and now he can't even get in the West Brom team.
    "So what I am saying is take your time. We can't just think, he's scoring goals so he'll be great for England. You can't do that."

2. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

I can't stand that #### always talks a load of bollacks, we know all this waddle but he's far better than lambert who's getting in.

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Waddle's right in that it's too soon for Austin, but, as Jeff says, he's already better than Lambert.

4. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

"At international level, it doesn't matter who you play because even the weaker countries play a way we're not used to. You don't get thousands of balls fizzing in the box every game.

What teams has he been watching?

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I think he's pretty much spot on.

KPDHoopster likes this.
  6. KPDHoopster

KPDHoopster Well-Known Member

Agree, way too soon

7. rrrrrs

rrrrrs Well-Known Member

Have to agree with him.

8. sku

sku Well-Known Member

The charming Ian Wright said much the same too. So much for their profound words. I can't help feel there's a smattering of jealousy at the paucity of English talent, that elevates the likes of our one-time bricklayer.

As I called out when the 'Austin for England' chant went out from the R Block; 'no, don't ruin him!'.

I think it's flattering; but I just want us to retain Jane's great grandson fit and in a hooped jersey, poking the ball in the net regularly over the Spring months and keeping us three teams above the bottom of the EPL.

9. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

By Harry Pratt :rolleyes:
    Would of been a great name for Waddle

10. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the "if you're good enough, you're ready". Nothing wrong with putting him into an England squad to assess him and for him to settle into the England camp scenario. Surely an England manager still needs to assess an improving player close up during training etc.

11. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Charlie's game is the predator, he makes space and reads play to position himself for the chance, he isn't a 'hold the ball up' type of player because he's looking for goals all the time.

To be honest I don't know whether playing for someone like Hodgson would be good for him unless he was feeding off a 'hold up' player, I don't think that's England's game but we'll never find out unless he is given the opportunity. If he keeps on scoring he can't be ignored...

12. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't have a problem with what Waddle is saying, would rather he continues doing what he's doing at the moment and scoring for fun than have the distraction of International football.......

13. westlondonlalala

westlondonlalala Well-Known Member

This. I actually agree with waddle. Don't want Charlie too distracted and it is still early days. When we play 1 up front he is less effective. He reminds me of Ian Rush vs a Lineker.

14. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Too soon for Charlie, another six months and he'll be ready, but I agree he's already more prepared than Lambert.

15. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

........ which is PRECISELY WHY he should get picked, NOW, at his age and at this stage of his career, to get his feet wet! If you keep a bloke like Charlie waiting in the wings is why the development of young, great players in England is lacking! No vision from Waddle or the FA, if players like Charlie aren't given the chance right away. There's a reason for friendlies, so why not let him run it out? England's not fairing any better, so what's the fuss? All that Charlie needs is a good ball tossed at him, he'll do the rest.

16. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Chelsea Charlie rocks. Think we should put in a cheeky bid for him in the New Year AustinTerry.jpg