1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chelsea vs Arsenal: Match Thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Sanj, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Arsenal travel to Stamford Bridge this Sunday afternoon to take on Chelsea in a vital London derby. Chelsea currently occupy third spot in the table, and Arsenal still believe that they have the chance to claim that position by the end of the season, but a defeat against Chelsea on Sunday would inflict a damaging blow on those hopes. Both Arsenal and Chelsea had games in midweek, the Gunners needed another game to see off Swansea in the third round of the FA Cup, while Chelsea played Southampton at Stamford Bridge in the premier league. It was their game in hand, and Chelsea after going two goals up, looked set to claim three important points, but the Saints fought back and earned a point after a dramatic comeback. For Chelsea it was terrible result and one that confirms Chelsea’s problems at home. But, Arsenal have hardly been great on the road this season, they have only won four away games all this season, and have only beaten Liverpool away from the current top ten. Chelsea beat Arsenal when the two teams met earlier in the season in the game at the Emirates. Fernando Torres gave Chelsea the lead after he got on the end of a Juan Mata free-kick, but Gervinho levelled the scores on the stroke of half-time and the game was finely poised. In the second half, another Juan Mata free-kick proved crucial after the Spaniard whipped in another deadly ball, but this time it bypassed everyone and found its way into the back of the net and that was the final goal of the game. A mixture of Arsenal’s terrible defending and Mata’s brilliance saw Chelsea claim a vital win against the Gunners at the Emirates. Arsenal recorded a famous win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last season, but they did have the best forward in the Premier League at that time, so getting the three points is not going to be easy. Arsenal’s record against the so called big teams has been poor this season, so Wenger’s men need to find the belief that they can defeat one of the big teams. With the unease surrounding Stamford Bridge at the moment, the game could be a tense affair.

Chelsea’s start to this season was very promising after they won their first three league games with new signings like Eden Hazard already hitting the ground running and Chelsea were looking good, especially in the league. But the Champions League was a different story, and their poor performances in that competition led to the sacking of Roberto Di Matteo and Roman Abramovich hired Rafael Benítez, the man no Chelsea fan wanted to see at their club, Benítez was Abramovich’s ninth manager in ten years. In the end, Chelsea finished in third place in their Champions’ League group and damaging defeats to the likes of Manchester United, QPR, West Ham and West Brom has seen them fall out of the title race. With their resources and players, Chelsea should be competing with the two Manchester clubs for the title but without long term stability they have failed to mount a serious title charge since 2010. Trying to get the best out of Fernando Torres was one of Benitez’s main objectives and at first it did look like Torres was finding some form, but in recent weeks, Torres has again gone off the boil. Chelsea knew they had a problem, so brought in Demba Ba from Newcastle in the transfer window to solve it and so far it looks like a wise investment. Ba has scored fourteen league goals this season, and he has already bagged two goals against the Gunners this season. With the likes of Eden Hazard, Juan Mata and Frank Lampard creating chances, Ba has the chance to really make his mark at Chelsea.

Juan Mata has without a doubt been Chelsea’s stand out player this season and after Robin Van Persie he has arguably been the best player in the Premier League. His ability to score goals and crucial goals at that has been amazing. In the league, he has scored seven goals and created eight. Against Arsenal earlier in the season, he created one and scored one, so the Gunners already know what Juan Mata can do. Eden Hazard has not been as good as Mata but he is also another dangerous player and one that can produce match winning moments in an instant. This season looks like it could be Frank Lampard’s last at Chelsea, and he is certainly going out with a bang. He is their joint top scorer in the league with seven goals and is on course to become the clubs all-time top scorer. He only needs eight more goals to equal Bobby Tambling’s record and should he equal or better it, it would be an amazing achievement. Chelsea’s recent home record has been very poor as they have only won one of their last seven homes games in the league. They seem to prefer to play away from home and get away from the all the hostility that greets their manager, owner and especially Fernando Torres when they play at Stamford Bridge. The pressure will again be on the Chelsea players this Sunday, and the Arsenal players must make sure that they are good enough on the day to take advantage of any Chelsea mistakes.

Since his hat-trick against Newcastle, Theo Walcott has failed to score another goal and is finding life in his new role as the main centre-forward a lot more difficult. Against, Manchester City, his task was made even more difficult after Arsenal were reduced to ten men but it does take a certain player to be successful in the role Theo Walcott currently plays. His hold up play has simply not been of the required level in Arsenal’s current system and against team that defend in a more organised fashion, Walcott needs to be more clinical when he gets he gets that once chance. Chelsea are hardly blessed with pace in the centre of their defence and Walcott will hope to take advantage of this if Arsene Wenger plays him through the middle again. Mikel Arteta is still out with a calf injury and the Gunners will again miss his calm authority in their midfield. Without him, they have turned to the likes of Abou Diaby and Francis Coquelin. Wenger will have to consider the risks of starting Diaby in three games in a week ahead of the Chelsea game. One player that is certain to start for the Gunners is young Jack Wilshere. The Englishmen got the winner against Swansea in midweek and he is starting to hit top form after coming back from a long term injury. Wilshere was gliding past people and driving Arsenal on with his powerful running and without him, Arsenal would be lost in midfield. Despite only being 21 years old, Wilshere is clearly the man that leads this current Arsenal team on the pitch. They will need him to be at his brilliant best if they are to going get the three points at Stamford Bridge this Sunday.

Team News:

Form Guide:

Three Key Match-ups:

Overall Record vs Chelsea:

Played: 179
    Wins: 70
    Draws: 52
    Losses: 55
    For: 256
    Against: 229
    Goal Difference: 27

Last 6 Meetings:

Arsenal 1 - 2 Chelsea
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Chelsea
    Chelsea 3 - 5 Arsenal
    Arsenal 3 - 1 Chelsea
    Chelsea 2 - 0 Arsenal
    Chelsea 2 - 0 Arsenal

Managers Views:

Arsene Wenger on the physical test against Chelsea:

My Team:

Final Score:

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Come on Arsenal.

3. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

Why is the photo of Jack back to front <whistle>

4. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Cause it is. <whistle>

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

We need to try and take advantage of Chelsea's weaknesses at the moment, which seem to be self inflicted over the whole Rafa debacle. He's a good manager with great players but something seems to be rotten at Chelsea at the moment and it's affecting them on the pitch.

But for us to take any advantage of that, I think we have to come out of the blocks firing for this game. We simply cannot afford to start this game with the same liassez-faire attitude we've shown at the beginning of some recent games. By that I mean we have to get involved with the opposition, not just wait to try and play 'our own' game. We need to see more pressing from the front, more urgency in MF when we have the ball and more players trying to force the issue, taking players on and taking shots.

6. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Before anybody asks, the reason I am playing Ramsey on the right is because on that side they have Hazard and Cole. I do not trust the likes of Chamberlain or Santi to protect Sagna. Also Walcott when he has played on the right seems to play a lot more closer to the main CF in recent weeks (the two Swansea games).

7. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

PISKIE told me that he wanted to do the matchday freds because he says you're ****ing useless at it.
    Don't listen to him though mate.I think your matchday freds are dead good <ok>

8. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Remember what happened when you last visited Stamford Bridge? <whistle>

9. gent

gent Well-Known Member

Your team selection is atrocious.

10. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

We won 5-3.I remember it well <ok>

11. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

Jack has explained his team selection.Perhaps you'd like to explain why you think it's atrocious

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Chelsea's home form in the league is poor at the moment. I can see you getting a draw out of this.
    Since the 4-1 win over Norwich on Oct 6th: P:7, W:1, D:4 , L:2.

13. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Ramsey - On the right to offer some defensive protection for Sagna as I have explained because of Hazard and Cole.

Coquelin - Because I moved Jack into the AM role, I needed someone in the deeper role as Arteta is injured.

Walcott - Was a close call between him and Giroud but went for Walcott as he offers the pace to play a counter attacking game. As I want us to defend deep in numbers and then counter attack with the likes of Jack,Cazorla and Walcott.

No Podolski because I think he has been poor on that left hand side and Wenger is not playing him anywhere else for a reason. Also with him,Giroud and Chamberlain on the bench we have the players that can make an impact from the bench if it's not working. Keep it tight and then let their fans get frustrated which has affected their team, then bring on the likes of Giroud and Podolski if we need a goal.

14. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

The danger of going at Chelsea is that they would probably prefer it if we did. Under Rafa,they are a counter attacking team, so to frustrate them, I think we should play deeper and defend in number in order to reduce the space for the likes of Mata and Hazard. Going a goal down early could be a killer for us. If we start chasing it, then they could make hay on the counter.

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

True and I agree about defending in numbers too, that's how QPR got results again them and the spuds. But I just fear that if we sit back, we'll invite pressure and the crowd will get Chelsea going. I'd rather see us go out and give them something to think about, try and get a goal first and really get the crowd to pile on the pressure. But you're right, we could get murdered if we're reckless.

16. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Also as I have mentioned in the OP, it's a bit risky playing Diaby three times in a week, but we have no other options. Hence, the need for a new midfielder.

17. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I thought your team was lousy, but after reading the explanation, it does make sense.

This game could go 1 of 2 ways. It'll either be a low scoring game which we lose, or a mad game which we win.

18. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

We should really be taking advantage of Chelsea's poor home form... but if we lose this game, it won't be down to our inability to score but due to the ineptitude of our defence. I see this being 4-2 to us.

19. gent

gent Well-Known Member

But we do have options there, even if we miss Arteta. Just because Wenger has played Ramsey as a winger a couple of times is no reason to forget 2+ seasons (including his best) where he's done a good job as a CM.

Too many decisions made on the back of single sample point. Wilshere was excellent in that position against Swansea, but he has also been among the best playing behind Cazorla.

My first choice:

If we don't want to risk Diaby:

People saying Coquelin was a big part of the second half performance are way off IMO, Swansea didn't create chances not because we suddenly became more aggressive at defending but because we became dominant in attack. We defended by attacking. Coquelin was just as un-influential as in the first half, and was as bad as ever on the ball. He's not better defensively compared to Ramsey and he has worse control.

20. Daveunited

Daveunited Well-Known Member

Always look forward to Arsenal/Chelsea games, gone for a Chelsea win in the Prediction league but would love to see a high scoring draw with plenty of talking points including Wenger vs Benitez
    :laugh: