1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread CHELSEA v WATFORD

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Oct 19, 2017.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    CHELSEA v WATFORD

Date: 21st October 2017
    Venue: Stamford Bridge
    Kick Off: 1230 BST

After two consecutive Premier League defeats, Chelsea will be desperate for victory when they welcome Watford to Stamford Bridge on Saturday. Having followed up a home defeat by Manchester City with a surprise loss against rock bottom Crystal Palace, Antonio Conte’s men are looking to return to winning ways with a much-needed three points here.

After seven games without a single point or even a goal to their name, few would have expected Palace to get off the mark against the champions last weekend, but the Blues have looked a far cry from the team that cruised to the title, with their previously solid defence appearing particularly fragile by the high standards of last campaign. Having kept 16 clean sheets in the league last campaign, Conte’s side has conceded in five of their eight games so far - and five of their last six fixtures in all competitions.

For some Watford players, the idea of being fourth in the Premier League, as the table settles from its embryonic chaos into a more defined chart of progression, would be beyond any expectations they could have thought up during pre-season.

Players like Tom Cleverley, Younes Kaboul and Heurelho Gomes have history in and around the Champions League places, and so despite Watford’s relative size to their former teams, it is far from unfamiliar territory.

But for others, Silva has revealed he has to keep a closer eye on the thought of getting carried away with just how well the Hornets have done.

Because registering the second-best top flight start in the club’s history with eight games gone, and Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool out of the way - for this half of the season at least - is mighty impressive.

Watford will be hoping history doesn’t repeat itself when Jon Moss takes charge of their visit to Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Moss was at the centre of controversy last August as he oversaw the Hornets 2-1 defeat against Chelsea at Vicarage Road.

Diego Costa scored the 87th minute winner that day, but could just as easily been shown a second yellow card for an alleged dive earlier in the game.

Watford’s overall record in games under Moss also makes less then pleasant reading, with their last six games yielding a solitary win and four defeats.

Moss has shown 20 yellow cards and one red in seven games this season.

:emoticon-0100-smile WHEREVER YOU ARE IN THE WORLD -ENJOY THE GAME :emoticon-0100-smile

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Mexican Hornet likes this.
  2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Maybe a good time to play them- few injuries and a bit suspect in defence.

Still strong in attack though.

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think I am out of practice as putting this thread together didn't go well. <yikes> Still it is here now. :smiley-finger007:

Toby likes this.
  4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Very good luck to the Golden Boys! <ok>

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Marco Silva will pick from the same pool of players for the trip to Chelsea after the Head Coach reported no fresh injury concerns.

“It's the same situation as last week,” said Silva during today's press conference.

“Cathcart, Chalobah and Isaac [Success] are long-term. Kaboul and Sebastian [Prödl] are still out of the match. We expect them to work with the team the next week. Maybe not full training, but certainly with the team. It's too early to say with Chalobah.”

6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

THanks for the thread OFH. It looks great to me!

It's too early for me and all I reckon, so early a kick off and 40th birthday to go to on Friday night.

7. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

It's 12.30 am for me and I have a 7th birthday party for two girls to organise for later in the day. Those are much scarier than 40th birthday parties.

8. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Good luck NZ!

Taking into account, Watford's current form, Chelsea's midweek game and Chelsea's injuries, Watford have a decent shout on Saturday. But build up means nowt really.

9. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Lawro got us down for defeat as has Merson.

I think Lawro has predicted us to win once against Brighton and a draw against Liverpool but to lose every other game!

He says well the other away wins were at lesser sides (who he predicted to beat us!) and Arsenal basically just gifted us the 3 points whereas Chelsea will be right at it and won't give things away easily.

As in their last 3 games which is 2 defeats and a slightly fortunate draw.

10. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I happen to be visiting NZ, do you know what TV channel I can find the match on?

11. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

BEIN Sport 1 channel 266 on Sky. The chances are that your accommodation won't pay the extra required for this channel so you may have to find a pub that is showing the game. Alternatively you can sign up to BEIN Connect NZ online for a month for $NZ19.77 and see the game. If you do that make sure that you unsubscribe or they will keep debiting your credit card.

Edit. There is a possibility that you won't be able to sign up as BEIN require an address connected to the credit card. There may be restrictions based on place of residence.

Where will you be F1?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  12. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Only one word for it. VVVEEEEERRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOO :emoticon-0140-rofl:

We could be third very soon. C'mon u'orns.

How long before some TV pundit compares us with Leicester if we get the win? :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

If Morata isn't playing, I think we have got a very good chance of getting something out of this. I think with Hazard behind and him making his runs, they'd destroy our defence. We don't like it when a striker runs in behind!

I also personally think this is a bad time to play Chelsea - after the last few results, they'll be wanting to prove something in front of their own crowd. I'd be very happy with a draw here

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  14. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I will be in Queenstown and annoyingly I don't have BEIN on my TV here, but I did in the last two places I stayed in!

15. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

If you have a laptop with you, you could try installing Mobdro for PC - it has basically all the Sports channels you need, with the added bonus of being free.

16. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Good morning to all the 'orns everywhere around the globe. Less than four hours to go and we need all the 'willing the ball into the back of the net' you can muster.

I really get the feeling this is a massive day in our season. Not only to consolidate top end but also to get us nearer those 40+ points. Despite the heights of now, by the end of the weekend we might be just 7 points clear of relegation. And we know from recent seasons how fast that can disappear. A sobering thought.

Well that is why we watch and support I guess. To be in the thick of the battle :emoticon-0107-sweat.

Hope F1 you get sorted downunder, that the streams flow well, and that the travelling faithfull have a great day out. Cheers all <cheers>

ps Check list: lucky rabbits foot, fingers and toes crossed, can't go out in case the black cat is around, find new 'orn so we get beginners luck, turn round four times, don't buy a bakers dozen when getting the bread, only step on white stripes on the zebra crossing, ..........

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

kchorn likes this.
  18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

So Deeney starts. Maybe the Chelsea defence can be bullied a bit.

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Playing with a back three? That wasn't too successful last week.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator