1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Charlton vs Ipswich

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Thought I'd get this on earlier, following the rather explosive comments from Paul Cook's press conference this morning. Here's some of the choice quotes:

“We don’t put crosses in the box, we don’t create chances, we don’t defend well, we don’t defend set pieces well, we don’t retain possession of the ball, we’re not very fit, we’re not very athletic. You can write a list of what we’re not really good at."

“This is going to be a very unhappy club over the next two or three weeks because the changes are coming. When there are announcements on players, whether it be Troy Parrott, Luke Chambers, James Norwood, Kayden Jackson, the club will make announcements."

"Our players are very, very aware of my feelings. If the whole squad didn’t want to come back from Wimbledon the other night, it wouldn’t have bothered me. I’d have got on with the season. It's where I’m at, I don’t really think I [need to say any more]. Obviously from you guys, I accept all the different stuff, all the players have agents and all the above. I couldn’t care less any more. If the 18 from Wimbledon don’t turn up, you’ll have to see more, won’t you? I think the new 18 would get more support than the other 18 from our supporters."

“I don't want to leave Wimbledon congratulating Wimbledon on beating us 3-0. I don't enjoy it. I don't want to leave Fleetwood congratulating Fleetwood on beating us 2-0. I don't like leaving Gillingham [after a defeat]. I like leaving being proud of my team, something that I'm not at the minute and something that I can rest assure will change.”

So, in light of that (and plenty more), what's our chances tomorrow in the 12.30pm kick off? Although I can appreciate where Cook is coming from - and we've seen over the last few years just how disappointing most of the players have been - I cannot recall a manager so publicly and spectacularly call out his players when there's still a mathematic chance of reaching the play offs.

I think it's evident that there will be wholesale changes this summer, long overdue for most of us. The new owners and larger transfer budget no doubt helps Cook in that respect, but I do question the tone where players are being thrown under the bus.

Also, a story doing the rounds on TWTD (which I really want to be true) was that Cook organised a 7 versus 7 in training, attackers versus defenders, in an attempt for the attacking players to prove they could get goals. Not sure how long it went on for, but it finished 1-0 with Norwood only scoring once. Cook had them do laps as a result while he went to get a brew, then just never returned.

Charlton to win 2-0.

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Errm.... I'll go for an explosive 4-3 win with all the scorers celebrating by sticking their fingers in their ears...

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I laugh whenever I see those photos doing the rounds on Twitter. I remember we all found it a bit funny and strange at the time, but those pictures really have not aged well!

4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Idiots....pure and simple, thick, unintelligent adults

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

For anyone who had a pop at Keane or Hurst, I’ve never heard any manager rip his players to shreds like this. I rather like him I have to say.

He said of Roberts, “He’s very disappointed with the quality of player we have in the building.”

6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Wow,talk about throwing them under the bus!Thoroughly deserved though.

I’m going for my usual 2-1 to Town,they really owe us big time!

7. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Blunt & honest and very disappointed with the lot of them. As we all are. The reaction will be either....f...k you Paul and nil motivation and lose the last games, or, they will be spurred to victory, give a more professional performance ( they are being paid handsomely after all to ply their craft) and win he next 2-3 games and in toiuch with play-offs again.

I will predict 2-1 loss to Charlton.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Cook tried being diplomatic in his early interviews about the team but he is pulling no punches now and I have no problem with that.

I won't be getting up early (4:30am) to watch the match live so I'll watch the replay later on Saturday or Sunday morning with my breakfast.

As Paul says, you never what you're going to get from this team so I'll go for an unexpected 1-0 win. I'll catch up with you all after I've seen the replay..

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

On the point of the result, I reckon an absolute 4-0 capitulation.

Buckyohare and Redruth like this.
  10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

And the line-up for this make or break game?

holy
    kvy/woolf/toto/kenlock
    downes/doz
    jackson/bish/edwards
    norwood

Anyone bet me a pint o' Adnams?

11. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Hard to see us win. Both teams are plain average. They’ve got a GD of +6.,, and we literally can’t get a shot away let alone on target.

but the players must feel very isolated and low. As I said, I agree with what he’s saying I just don’t think he needed to say it like that publicly. It’s not going to help ITFC win football matches, so therefore it’s not very helpful.

I’m with Hampy; charlton will see a wounded animal and go for it. We’ll lose 3-0.

12. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

6-1 defeat coz Cook is right.....we are absolute dog ****e!! He was 200% right to throw them under the bus, a breath of fresh air imo!!

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Can’t see Jackson starting Gaffer.

14. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Have to say after what Cook has said we could get a hammering today, particularly to say the not trusting his players would be a difficult thing to hear, that's not a rollicking that's putting them down which I'm not quite sure they do. 3-0 loss.

Even if we agree with what he's said, he has to be very careful as I'm sure there will be players in our current squad who will still be here next season and also new players coming in will have seen how he's reacted, how will they know if next season he won't throw them under the bus, will they want to play for him. It would have been interesting to see if he would've reacted in the same way if Evans was still at the club and he didn't have the financial backing. If you are going to throw the players under the bus at least wait until the summer or when it's mathematically impossible to get into the playoffs.

That's who I would've thrown under the bus not the players, whilst they may not be good enough most of them have never proven before they came to the club that they were good enough at this level, it's not their fault that they were all put together, offered long term contracts in an underfunded team for years that has been on a downward spiral. This is the clubs own doing, not the players.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It’s very much the players. With the exception of our homegrown players the reason they either remained at the club / were recruited in the first place was because of their attitude. Players with a better attitude are in demand, are more expensive, are playing at a higher level. The one and only player I feel gives 100% in every match is Nsiala.

Paul Cook is absolutely right to smash it up. It’s what Paul Hurst started to do, the only difference this time is that the owners will back the manager and not the underachieving pathetic players. Andre Dozzell is a common denominator, by the way. His attitude is so poor I’d say he’s poisonous.

Spanish likes this.
  16. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

I completely agree with that. Whilst I've been banging the same drum as Spanish about how, if i take my heart out of it and look at us objectively, as a betting man, we're a pile of sh1te and have been for yonks, I cannot fathom the point in making things worse by totally breaking any relationship with the players.

Im not a fan of the ABCD of poor management (Arrive, Blame, Criticise, Depart). it achieves nothing and if Cook does this we're just left even more broken than when he arrived. Great, thanks Paul...

I dont need PC to tell me the players at our club are poor. I'm perfectly capable of pointing that out along with the rest of us. thats the relatively easy part. the hard bit is to come in, galvanise them, and coach them to achieve more collectively than they themselves believed possible. thats what great coaches do. For all his faults, even Big Sam does it time and time again. when did he ever go to a struggling club, tell everyone how crap they were and pull off a coaching miracle? never. he never destroys the players confidence because once thats gone, you're totally fcuk'd.

ok, we're clearly going to have a clear out this summer but i maintain, a great coach would have come in and said 'right lads, we might not all be there come next season but lets give this our best, try and entertain people, go for it, have each others backs and see what happens. We've got a play off to achieve and you've got future careers/contracts to aim for so lets give this our best shot and part company on good terms with dignity once the season ends.'

instead, we're playing worse and achieving less than before PC got here and thats actually quite a hard thing to do given how rubbish we were before.

He better make a success of this going forward or he'll look like a right twat.

i maintain he can get us promoted at some point. after that either we need someone better or he'll bugger off to a bigger club. he owes us no loyalty (just like PL did to Norwich) as its a competitive business which im fine with, and he's not like GB who was ITFC to the core. indeed i think he basically failed in management at Soton and Scotland and his time with us was his managerial high point. I dont see PC as a PL manager. its the best league in the world and is he one of the top 20 coaches going...? maybe he can earn the right to be in that bracket but so far, i dont see it...

Southcoastoldgaffer and Redruth like this.
  17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don’t see that either but he can get us competing in the championship. My question would be how many players in the side could you offer the armband to? Chambers is the obvious choice and Woolfy is the only other player I would ever see in that role.

If a side doesn’t have four or five leaders on the pitch you’ve had it before you’ve even kicked a ball. If you look at any of our successful sides it’s easy to pick out plenty of names for the armband.

Our form is terrible under PC, so much worse than under PH and at a lower level. But scraping into the play offs in League One is miles away from where we should be. The football was pretty crap and we have struggled to score goals all the way through PL’s time as manager so I’m not that bothered if we implode a bit to have a revolution or even implode and have a revolution that clears out all the crap, and have to have another change of manager who then brings the success. We were never going to get there sleepwalking. Many said if we did scrape promotion through the play offs we’d get decimated in the league above.

Redruth likes this.
  18. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

Good luck after today <cheers>

19. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I think Cook was right to say what he said, it bloody needed to be said, stuff all that being nice.... Lambert kept praising the players and where did that get us? The players need to take a good hard look at themselves and if it takes a public slating to wake them up a bit....then so be it!! If they are so weak that they can't take the criticism, then they can foxtrot oscar, most will be gone anyway.
    Great management imo!!!

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner