1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton v MK Dons

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by CafcFactsStats, Nov 17, 2017.

1. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

2. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

3. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

El Gobbo reunited once again with his first love

4. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

I wonder why they ever parted?

Robinson's MK Dons suffered relegation from The Championship during the 2015/16 season, with MK Dons finishing in 23rd position.
    On 23 October 2016, MK Dons released a statement saying that Robinson had been relieved of his duties following the 3-0 defeat to Southend United the previous day which took the club's winless run to four games.

Oh yes, that was it. Thanks Wiki.

5. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Winkleman, who was superb in his quest for championship football, lived beyond his means when he eventually saw his dream for promotion come to fruition. MK Dons had built a stable/successful team capable of promotion after several years of just falling short, but not one that was capable of survival in the championship.

Then the money was pulled (sound familiar) and they went down and the rest is history.

6. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Like all Charlton fans, that is one bit of history I don't want to see repeated.

If he manages to pull it off, promotion to the Championship this season for Charlton Athletic will be a fantastic achievement by Karl Robinson.
    But it will not mean that Charlton are fit to survive in the Championship.

So much more work will be needed in the summer of 2018.
    I'm not convinced that we currently have an Owner, a CEO or a Manager who will be up to that task.

In the meantime, I think we will beat MK Dons tomorrow. 3-0 or perhaps 3-1.

7. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

Since the latest premier league bandwagon is to play 3 at the back with wing backs, how soon do we think until Robinson adopts it?

8. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Just like the old W formation.

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  9. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

MK Dons have some very decent players I think their league position is false.It will not be easy. If Karl Robinson gets us promoted, do you not think that he deserves a chance at managing the team in the Championship? Why do you think the Manager will not be up to the task? Let us just change the Manager again that has worked out well in Duchatelet's reign hasn't it? Who would you have in place of Robinson? Of course lots more work will be needed in the Summer of 2018, but let us try to get out of this division first before contemplating what we do in the Championship.

10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Was Robinson not the manager of MK Dons when they were relegated from the Championship?

That would strongly suggest to me that he is not up to the task of keeping Charlton there.

It's for the owner to decide who the manager should be, I have no strong feeling on the matter right now. Was just pointing out that in my opinion KR won't be up to the task of keeping us in the 2nd division.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017

11. ForestHillBilly

With new owners and decent crowds there would be no reason to write off our chances of competing in the Championship. God forbid that Roland and his CEO are still at the helm next season, I just can't see it.

DickPlumb likes this.
  12. DickPlumb

You can't just say he won't be up to keeping us in the 2nd division, because MK Dons were relegated. Have you factored in what their budget was? Other extenuating factors? Football is not as clear cut or simple as that. Brian Clough took Notts Forest down, did that make him a bad Manager?

13. ForestHillBilly

Are you sure about that? We all know Clough got a bit too fond of the sauce near the end, but wasn't it Frank Clarke who took them down, albeit he inherited a squad in decline?

14. ForestHillBilly

Leaving soon, the trains through Lewisham are up the pole again. As long as Ricky Holmes continues to drive us forward I expect our good run to continue.

DickPlumb likes this.
  15. DickPlumb

The 1992–93 season was Clough's 18th with Forest – and his last. They were one of the 22 clubs in the inaugural Premier League, but the sale of key players like Teddy Sheringham and Des Walker, and Clough's increasing battle with alcoholism, saw the club's fortunes take a sharp decline and they were bottom virtually all season. Just before a 2–0 defeat against Sheffield United confirmed the club's relegation after 16 years in the top flight, Clough announced his retirement as manager.

16. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Not sure how this one will go to be honest, as DP says, they have several very good players. A few are probably up there as the best in the league. Without having watched them, it’s hard to know why they’re underachieving, but if KR has done his due diligence (I’m sure he has) then they have to be there for the taking.

I’m going for a tight 1-0. Goal coming midway in the second half.

17. ForestHillBilly

Ghastly crowd noise does not compensate for the tiny crowd.

18. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

It's Panto season at the Valley!

Plenty of handbags and some all-in wrestling (hooray!) and even a Pantomime Dame (the ref) Boooo!

Charlton dominating in all departments, showing more hunger, strength and skill. MK Dons are trying but are outclassed and outmuscled.

More Charlton goals after the break I think, and maybe a red card or two...

1-0 up HT

20. ForestHillBilly

All getting a bit niggly. Hopefully Reeves will see a bit more of the ball second half. Young Naby is excellent again.