1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton season stats 2017-18

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Aug 1, 2017.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

A thread for members to be able to keep track of our progress during season 2017-18 at a glance...

These tables will be regularly updated after each league game (usually within a few hours)
    so fans can see how the team is performing compared to targets and previous seasons.

Also some stats will be added showing our best performing players for goals, assists, starts, clean sheets and cards.

Last updated: 29th April (45 league matches played)

1. League One Table

Table 1 180429.png

Position in form table (last 6 games): 7th

Position in form table (last 10 games): 3rd

Next League Fixture: Rochdale (A) Spotland, Saturday 5th May 5:30pm

___________________________________________________________________________________

2. League Position Graph (with previous 3rd division seasons)

Table 2.png

3. Promotion / Mid-table / Relegation Graph

Table 3.png

4. Player stats

All League Goal scorers
    1. Josh Magennis (10)
    2. Tarique Fosu (9) ... including 1 hat-trick
    3. Ricky Holmes (6)
    4. Jake Forster-Caskey (5)
    5. Joe Aribo (5)
    6. Patrick Bauer (3)
    7. Michal Zyro (3)
    8. Ben Reeves (3)
    9. Stephy Mavididi (2)
    10. Ahmed Kashi (2)
    11. Jason Pearce (2)
    12. Mark Marshall (1)
    13. Karlan Ahearne-Grant (1)
    14. Joe Dodoo (1)
    15. Lewis Page (1)
    16. Nicky Ajose (1)
    Top 5 Assists
    1. Jake Forster-Caskey (8)
    2. Ricky Holmes (7)
    3. Tarique Fosu (3)
    4. Mark Marshall (3)
    5. Ben Reeves (3)
    Top 5 Cards
    1. Lee Novak (1 red)
    2. Andrew Crofts (1 red) ... EFL Cup
    3. Jake Forster-Caskey (11 yellow)
    4. Ahmed Kashi (9 yellow)
    5. Chris Solly (7 yellow)
    Top 5 Starts (league)
    1. Ben Amos (45)
    2. Jake Forster-Caskey (39)
    3. Josh Magennis (37)
    4. Jay Dasilva (33)
    5. Ahmed Kashi (32)
    Most clean sheets (league)
    1. Ben Amos (14 from 45 league apps)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Thanks, Lardiman<ok>.

lardiman likes this.
  3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

6th August Update ... CHARLTON ATHLETIC 1-0 BRISTOL ROVERS

A terrific opening day win for the Addicks in the circumstances...
    I feared we would struggle in this game, but the early red card for Lee Novak rallied the team if anything.
    Not only did they defend stoutly, they began to run the game and put Bristol Rovers to shame.

Positives:
    • A deserved and morale boosting win from adversity.
    • A clean sheet for Ben Amos despite a couple of wobbles - will give him confidence.
    • No injuries that I'm aware of. Kashi went down late in the game but I think it was just a minor knock.
    • The fans - A great atmosphere inside the Valley (despite low attendance) they were loud and positive for almost the whole game.
    Negatives:
    • Lee Novak - very clumsy challenge. I was hoping the ref would be lenient, but in my view no complaints about the straight red.
    • Tony Watt - the crowd sang his name as he came on, then he was such a liability he almost cost us our lead. Needs to be loaned out or sold.
    Edit: (7th August)

Tony Watt's bizarre performance has been (at least partly) explained by Karl Robinson.
    It seems TW was obeying orders that ran contrary to his instincts as a striker.
    Altogether a strange episode, but fortunately one that did not cot us the win.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

12th August update (initial) ... PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 2-0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC

A very disappointing result, but no details yet about why things turned out the way they did.
    I'll add more thoughts and conclusions when more is known.

Positives:
    • We did not pick up any new injuries as far as I know so far, or more cards.
    Negatives:
    • No goals scored, despite Billy Clarke, Ricky Holmes and Josh Magennis all starting.
    • No apparent impact from Karlan Ahearne-Grant coming on after 62 minutes.

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

18th August update:

I have added an extra table (table 4) to the first post in the thread
    to show a comparison between Charlton's performance in League One since relegation in 2016 and back in 2009.

Like the other tables this will be updated after each game.
    It can help us to keep track of how well Karl Robinson's team is performing compared to the team under Phil Parkinson / Chris Powell.

6. lardiman

Forum Moderator

20th August update:

Job done yesterday at the Valley, in no uncertain terms.

I would not call it a 'routine win' although a win was certainly the expected result. 'Routine' does not do justice to the match which personally I found quite entertaining despite it being pretty one-sided for a lot of the time. Some credit is due to Northampton Town; to just say they were poor would be a bit unfair. They plugged away for most of the match, trying the best they could. Their heads only went down when we scored our third goal in second half stoppage time. Unfortunately for the Cobblers they probably played about as well as they are capable of, but they obviously lacked a cutting edge and they were fairly predictable. They did have three good chances in the first half and one just after the break, and they did score late on (very much against the run of play). But I think they will be returning to League Two at the end of this season. A bit of a shame to hear some booing from their travelling fans at full time.

However, Charlton were in charge for most of the game, breaking on Northampton with pace and numbers, making far more chances and squandering many. We could easily have been 4-0 up by half time. The gulf in quality between Charlton and Northampton was very clear, and again it is to the credit of the visiting team that they made a game of it, rather than be overwhelmed much earlier than they eventually were.
    There was some concern when a very comfortable 2-0 became 2-1 in the last 15 minutes, but Northampton never really pressed home a change of momentum. Their fans ironic chanting of "We've scored a goal, we've scored a goal..." did not help their team I think, and it served to calm my nerves anyway.

I have read the match report on the CAFC website, and to my surprise it is one of the most honest I recall ever reading. I'll admit I was tempted to copy and paste it. The only thing I think it neglects to mention is the three very good chances Northampton had in the first half. Ben Amos did not have a huge amount to do during the game but he was called upon to make some decent saves. I'm sure he will be irked about not being able to keep a clean sheet.

All in all a comfortable and well executed victory. 4-1 does not flatter us, but it is a tiny bit harsh on the Cobblers who held on well until injury time, but were punished by a team with more skill and more confidence, and probably better fitness levels as well.

~~~​

We have 2 more points than this time last season. Should we fail to beat Rotherham next Saturday the hard numbers will say that after 4 matches we are no better off than we were under Russell Slade in 2016.
    But (speaking from what I have seen at the Valley so far) I will say Charlton are playing much better football now.
    Yes, I accept we have only played the inconsistent Bristol Rovers and the limited Northampton Town, and yes I accept our away form must be addressed. But I will not ignore or play down what I have personally seen so far this season.
    The potential is there for it to be an exciting one.

If only we could get a couple more proper quality players (even on loan) then a place at the fringes of the top 6 could become a serious assault on the automatic promotion spots.
    We are 3 games into a long season. The real tests are yet to come.

Positives:
    • Four goals scored - we must have more players believing they can bang in a goal.
    • No injuries that I am aware of.
    • A good performance from Ben Amos. Pity no clean sheet, but no gaffes either.
    • Great positive support again from the stands. Occasional quiet periods, but no stick for our players (or the owners).
    Negatives:
    • Karlan Ahearne-Grant - a couple of good moves but missed great chances to score when poor opposition were tired out.
    • Attendance - website says 11,289? Sorry, no way. Between 8,000 and 9,000 at most.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

26th August update;

An impressive away win against a decent middling League One team - just what we needed to calm worries about away form.
    No injuries that I know of, and a second clean sheet in the league for Ben Amos.
    A good day all round it seems!

Positives:
    • A clean sheet away from home, suggests reasonably solid defending and no repeat of the Plymouth fade-away.
    • Three wins from four, up to 4th in the League. A long way to go, but a good start...
    • No new injury concerns as far as I know.
    Negatives:
    • Hope this does not convince KR that we don't need another striker now. And hope KM does not cash in on the squad before the window closes.

8. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

9. lardiman

Forum Moderator

10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

3rd September update;

Some may have been expecting a routine win away at Oldham - win we did, but it sounds anything but routine!
    Total domination and two goals...then a penalty, an equaliser after half time and a red card for the Latics. They only have themselves to blame for the sending off, the number of yellow cards they were picking up was phenomenal. But in a match where they reportedly gave everything they had, it must have helped Charlton to reassert control and ultimately come out on top. Not before Oldham struck a third time however.

We were unexpectedly put to the test by Oldham, and it is great to see that we passed that test this time. Three straight league wins is very important - teams who gain automatic promotion almost always string runs of 5 or 6 consecutive wins together.
    Granted, we have only played poor or (at best middling) League One teams so far this season, but the schedule is beyond our control.
    Back in the summer I said that if we had 20 points after our first 10 games in my view we would be well set for a realistic push towards top or second place. Now after 5 games the Addicks are well on course for those 20 points and perhaps more.

And (for the first time ever from me) credit to Karl Robinson; he has maintained a good team spirit, and with the exception of the Plymouth defeat, his team has delivered the results. We have a good platform now to build on, the potential weaknesses in our squad have not yet been exposed (with luck they may never be) and when those more difficult games do come around we can hopefully face them with a confidence that is strong enough to survive a few set-backs.

Positives:
    • Four goals scored for the second time in the league this season - only Peterborough have now scored more league goals than Charlton.
    • A good debut and a goal for Joe Dodoo. Possible super-sub in the making?
    • No serious injuries (that I know of yet) from what sounded like a rough game. Oldham collected uncounted yellow cards.
    • Many different scorers for the Addicks, another very healthy sign when the goals are flowing freely.
    • Confidence boosting recovery from a difficult situation, Oldham did everything they could to avoid a fifth straight defeat.
    Negatives:
    • Three goals conceded needs to be looked into - was it just circumstances on the day, or defensive weaknesses?
    • Karlan Ahearne-Grant; I don't know how well he played but once again he failed to score. Subbed after 50 minutes (unusual), was he injured?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

11. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Thanks again Lardi <ok> ..... but.... any chance (in Table 3) you could change the colour for either 'Promotion' or 'Play offs' to yellow? The blue and green are so similar that it is difficult to differentiate <cheers>

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

No problem AHLL

I'll select a colour for the play-offs zone which contrasts better with the green promotion zone.

EDIT:

I have darkened the tone of blue for the play-off zone, hopefully it contrasts better now with the promotion zone green.

By the way just for information;
    The targets on table 3 (49 for survival / 72 for play-offs / 85 for automatic promotion) are average minimum requirements, based on data from the last 12 seasons - since the old Second Division was renamed League One.
    It is possible to survive, finish top 6 or top 2 with fewer points than the targets, but it is quite unlikely.

So the coloured zones on table 3 are not absolute values, rather guidelines to where a team should be in an average season, based on how many points they have.

I don't know if that helped to clarify things, but there it is anyway.:emoticon-0126-nerd:

If you feel the contrast between the blue and green is still a bit low, let me know and I can have another go at adjusting it. I've assumed that it is a contrast issue rather than colour-blindness.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

10th September update:

Another entertaining and at times dramatic afternoon at the Valley, and another important win.
    Southend proved to be a decent test - not the best team who will visit SE7 this season for sure, but the best so far. They started brightly and showing the kind of determination and aggression which has been lacking from some of Charlton's opponents recently.
    The first half was played at a good pace with chances at both ends. We were the better team in the first 45 but not by a huge margin. Generally I thought our attacking play down both wings was more dangerous than the attacks from Southend, but they did have opportunities to open the scoring just as we did.
    They began flagging a bit just before half time however.

Second half again Southend looked roughly a match for us, but this time only for a few minutes.
    Our increasing domination led to the two excellent quick-fire goals that should have meant game over. For a while the rest of the match did seem like a reasonably comfortable formaility, but then they pulled a goal back almost out of the blue from a corner; a disappointing defensive lapse in an otherwise solid display.
    That goal did increase the tension levels a bit, and later we were forced to scramble a would-be equaliser virtually off the line.
    But despite the maximum effort and some good football from Southend, a draw would have been very harsh on Charlton.

Over the course of the whole game I thought we got the result we deserved, and perhaps 3-1 would have been a more representative score line.
    But we got the three points, which is what matters.
    Promotion is everything this season, and the team can be proud that they stood up to this latest test.

Positives:

• Another very convincing attacking performance, along with committed defending (one corner kick aside). Very positive to watch.
    • A well made goal for Magennis, and a superb strike from Ricky Holmes. Both of these key players now in great form.
    • Four straight league wins - exactly what we need to compete for automatic promotion, and unimaginable last season.
    Negatives:
    • A poor goal to concede from the corner. Better teams than Southend will take points from errors like that.
    • Ben Amos played well generally, but not without a couple of iffy moments. We are still conceding more than 1 goal per game on average.
    • Jason Pearce appeared to hurt his knee late in the game. He ran it off at the time, but I hope he is still OK this morning.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

13th September update;

Reality check at the Valley last night.
    First half I thought we matched Wigan pretty well. But after the break they quickly took control.
    We were still creating chances at 0-2 down, but those chances became fewer and less convincing as time passed. One corner was superbly fired right across the face of Wigan's goal but no Charlton boot could connect with it. Fatigue? Probably.

The opposition had traveled a long way, and they had virtually no support (though I guess they are used to that on their travels). They faced a crowd which was as noisy as it could be, and backed the home team well until the cause was lost in the last 15 minutes or so.
    But Wigan knew how to deal with that. They took the lead, they consolidated it and they saw the game out in a very professional manner.

I was impressed with how positive and loud the North stand was last night, but sadly the attendance was nowhere near what it once was of course.
    If there were over 10,000 fans inside the Valley last night then I'm Roland Duchatelet's love child.
    It was a decent enough turnout for a Tuesday evening (compared to others in the last two seasons); maybe 7,000 or 7,500 at an optimistic stretch. But after five or six straight wins at the Valley I'm sure the regime would have been hoping for more.
    And by the time 90 minutes ticked over into stoppage time thousands had already made for the exits.

Karl Robinson has some thinking to do now.
    I was surprised he made no changes at all from the Saturday starting XI. It is now time to begin rotating the squad which he has told fans he believes is strong enough to get the promotion job done this season.

Here is the current League One table,
    with teams we have played highlighted in blue, and our next three opponents highlighted in green.

001 Table 1 played after 7.png

It may be that Charlton will bounce straight back against bottom of the table Gillingham, struggling Bury and also-rans Walsall. But although the points we will gain from those games are vital to our promotion push, no fan should be under the illusion that things are not going to get tougher for us in as October approaches.

Positives;
    • A good first half (conceded goal aside), where we looked dangerous and sharp at times as in previous games. That must continue.
    • I haven't heard about any injuries yet, though some players must be pretty tired. Another game kicks off in less than four days.
    • Although we lost heart right at the end the players did not actually throw in the towel. Effort was still there, albeit with no reward.
    • Good support from the fans who came, only faded after 0-3 and the early exodus.
    Negatives;
    • The scoreline - looks to the casual observer like we took a pasting. In the end we were well beaten, but failing to score even one was disappointing.
    • Our previously tight defence - got taken apart in the second half, maybe ran out of steam. Some poor clearances and lost tackles.
    • Ben Amos - Could not have done much about the goals, and did save a few as well. But that's 10 conceded in 7 games now.
    • Karlan Ahearne-Grant ... a quarter of the game, no impact whatsoever. Clearly not up to the job.
    • Ezri Konsa ... again, made no difference that I could see. Won't have boosted his January sale price much last night.
    • Joe Dodoo ... Anonymous. A bit early to write him off (unlike KAG) but indicative of a weak bench and a shallow squad.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    ForestHillBilly likes this.
  15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

16th September update;

Charlton's first league defeat against Gillingham since 1929.
    First half chances not taken. Our style of play stifled.
    No alternative plan, no game changing players on the bench.

Positives;
    • None.
    Negatives;
    • Another goal conceded by Amos. That's 11 now in 8 league games. The pattern of his career continues without interruption.
    • Nothing from any of our three substitutes - again.
    • Humiliation, defeat to the bottom Club and a local rival. Almost unbelievable.
    • Any feeble rubbish being spouted about how well we played or the chances we missed, or their keeper being man of the match.
    Any slip-ups against Bury next Saturday, and this season's honeymoon will be over for Karl Robinson.

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

24th September update;

Yesterday would have been Charlton's first home league win against Bury since 1966 - except that we didn't win.
    Neither did we deserve to win, despite the weight of secondary statistics.
    Karl Robinson (on the official website) has said "Charlton did enough to win".
    As a meaningless denial of reality, this statement fits in perfectly with the attitude of his bosses in the CAFC board room. Sorry Karl, but the record shows we scored 1 goal and Bury scored 1 goal. That means we did not do enough to win (most football fans get this by the time they are about 6 years old).
    Perhaps he meant he believes our team did enough to deserve the win?
    If that was what he meant, then he should have said that.

I thought that some of our players had a decent game.
    Kashi did well (better than his last couple of games?) and Billy Clarke did the best he could. Bauer and Pearce did little wrong as usual, but others were being brushed off the ball far too easily in midfield. Karlan Ahearne-Grant was frankly embarrassing to watch, bottling a 50/50 with the Bury keeper and running around like a headless chicken. Fosu was little better for me either. Solly at least showed some frustration, but collectively the team fell far short of ever looking dominant or convincing against the limited but dogged visitors.
    And once again the substuitutions made almost no difference whatsoever. Konsa got pushed over about 10 times in as many minutes, then got booked for diving. Dodoo showed nothing that I noticed either. Any faint early hopes that he might turn out to be a surprise package off the bench are now truly forgotten.

It would be an afternoon to forget at the Valley for the very low attendance (7,000 maybe?) - except that if the weaknesses in Charlton's play and our listless, almost careless attitude during the first half hour are forgotten, they will probably be repeated.
    Better teams than Bury will take us apart and dump us out of the top half of the table (never mind top 6) if we show that kind of attitude regularly.
    I imagine Ricky Holmes will not be much encouraged by what he saw.

Nine games in and the apologists are already claiming that a play-off place is the most that Charlton fans are entitled to dream of, and that we need another transfer window to further strengthen the squad.
    <doh> Unless KR somehow freshens things up it's mid-table here we come.

Positives:
    • We did not lose. For the first time this season Charlton conceded first but avoided defeat.
    • Ricky Holmes got a rest.
    • The dwindling core of North stand fans did their best to sing the team on, but they were let down. Still no protest chants, but for how much longer?
    Negatives:
    • Jason Pearce injured; left the ground with his knee in a brace. A serious loss.
    • Karlan Ahearne-Grant. His performance should have been a positive (in that it means he'll never be picked again) but we know he will be.
    • Joe Dodoo - one goal wonder. Only seems to care about scoring on his debut.
    • The attendance; lower than ever, on a mild Saturday afternoon in September. If we have a cold winter, how much lower will it sink?
    • Katrien Meire. I did not personally witness her typically annoying behaviour, but I can believe what I've read.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    ForestHillBilly likes this.
  17. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

What was that, Lardi? I haven't read it!

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

It was nothing spectacular; just her being her annoying self, socialising and posing for selfies with awe-struck admirers. Royston has posted some details in other threads I believe.
    It's an affront that she even shows her face on a match-day around the Club she has ruined.
    I shouldn't be surprised I suppose. Every match day is a corporate jolly for her. She really thinks she can do the job Roland gave her.
    He's done her no favours by not firing her two seasons ago.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

27th September update;

Huge frustration - not at the result necessarily, but at failing to hold onto a lead twice.
    Failing to defend that 1-2 position even for a minute is difficult to take.
    Four league games now without a win.
    16 goals conceded in 10 games, well over 1 per game of course. A GD of only +2
    We will need 4 points from our next two games if the slip down into mid-table is to be arrested.

Positives:
    • We did not lose.
    • Ricky Holmes' 1 match ban does not seem to have dampened his form.
    Negatives:
    • Failed to turn an 89th minute lead into 3 points.
    • Substitutes so ineffective KR didn't bother to use any. Ahearne-Grant only came on because Billy Clarke was injured.

20. lardiman

Forum Moderator

1st October update;

Another test for the Addicks, the long away trip to Fleetwood, who are decent at home.
    This time however KR and his men passed the test and passed it well. A welcome return to winning ways :1980_boogie_down:
    After our recent slump in form it is great to be back in the top 6, with our promotion hopes still very much alive.
    Now those members of the squad not on international duty can rest a little, recharge batteries and be ready for the chance of a home win against Doncaster Rovers on October 14th.
    Best of luck to Jay Dasilva, Josh Magennis and Ezri Konsa - do your countries proud lads, and come back to SE7 in good shape.

Positives:
    • Overcoming a fight-back from Fleetwood after they equalised. Preventing them scoring at least 2 at home for the first time this season.
    • Naby Sarr steps up and returns to form so I have heard, welcome news indeed.
    • Mark Marshall and Ben Reeves getting some competitive game time. Looking forward to seeing them at the Valley soon.
    • Tarique Fosu - superb hat-trick!
    • Back into the top 6 before our weekend off. With luck we may still be there even after the next round of games, with a winnable home tie against Doncaster to look forward to.
    Negatives:
    • None that I know of. Hopefully no new injuries were picked up, I have not heard of any so far...