1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton Athletic V PNE

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Sep 12, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

Northenders.

Tomorrow night PNE travel to the Capital to take on Charlton Athletic in the Carling Cup.

I think it fair to make the point that in all probability this is a fixture that neither club
    are particularly looking forward to. With both clubs having made a good start to the season and hoping to be among the mix in the battle for promotion come the end of the season, and a busy two months ahead. The winners will play Swindon or Southampton and with all due respect to both, the next round will not be a big money spinner for either club whoever progresses to the next round.

I feel sure that both clubs will be giving their fringe players an opportunity to get some playing time under their belt and keep their fitness levels up. Having said that both managers will not want to see their team turned over regardless of fielding a weekend team. Players picked to play will be wanting to make a favourable impression on their managers and hoping to do enough to push for a first team spot, so the game should still be a competitive one. Most supporters of both clubs will be equally pensive about the merits of playing this Cup game, and very few PNE fans will be making a trip down to London tomorrow. PNE will be back in London to play Brentford at the weekend in the league and the fans will understandably view that fixture as being the important one.

What PNE's team will be is anyone's guess, players returning from injury like Ashbee are sure to be given a run out. There are others like Smith if he is fit to play and new signing Daley could be involved at some stage of the game. Gray is back in full training after his long term injury, but maybe not ready to make a start as yet. Will Turner the PNE keeper be fit to play and even if he is, Phil Brown may decide to play PNE's No 2 keeper. Barton, Mayor, Middleton etc, could well be picked to play as these youngsters need games and this cup tie could be seen as an ideal opportunity.

Charlton will no doubt be fielding an understrength team for the same reasons that PNE will, but you never know how things are going to turn out and the game could be one well worth watching as both teams regardless of what mix the teams are will want to win.

I think it is extremely difficult to predict a likely outcome to this game but I think that with Charlton having home advantage, they will progress to the next round.

I hope it's a good game for the fans who turn out and that the best team wins.

What do you think...?????

Of course many have spotted the deliberate mistake <laugh> and the winners will take on Swindon or Southampton in the next round, I think the same applies though and both Charlton and PNE will see the league as the important target..<ok>

Agree/disagree ??? no matter post your thoughts on this thread.

:)

2. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

We will probably change all 11 starters from saturdays match as we did in the last round should be a decent match .

3. Jonners6

Jonners6 New Member

While a good cup run can build confidence, I'd rather all focus on the league. I don't think we'll make automatic but we might make the play-offs.

So not too fussed if we're out of it tomorrow.

4. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

didnt we already knock reading out?

5. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

just checked, its swindon or southampton if we win. swindon in the next round would do nicely

6. robbieaddick

robbieaddick Member

Charlton can replace every player like for like in their team and I don't think there is a huge gulf in ability between the first and second xi.

What is the Preston squad like? Are the fringe players any good. Will go along to the game as it is a good opportunity to see the players we don't normally see. Would like us to progress in this as it is a good chance to for the reserves to get a competitive game

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I'm not sure, and this may sound surprising seeing as I'm ever the optimist but I think PNE will take it. Very much depends on line up's, but I'm going to bring in our recent cup runs as a marker- PNE to win 2-1 or on penalties.

Would love to be proved wrong.

8. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

Phil Brown was at the game on Saturday, Plumber so we can assume you're going to be taking this one very seriously - thing is though, he might not have seen many of the players that are going to turn out tomorrow night.

Mellor looked good and sharp on Friday - what's the chances of him starting do you reckon?

9. theflyingplumber

Just testing you Sat In Greenwich...<laugh>

10. theflyingplumber

Now dont you go getting carried away Sat In Greenwich, "Swindon in the next round would do nicely" .......indeed.....<laugh>

11. Jamiester

Jamiester Member

If it's the same XI that started vs Reading then I'm super confident in them to get the job done. They put in a performance worthy of being our first XI and would think they will be out to prove a point again!

12. theflyingplumber

Hi! Tewkesbury Addick..<ok>....If Brown was at the game last Saturday I am sure he was taking a look before PNE play you in the League, and not with a view to tomorrow's game.

Mellor is a bit of an enigma for many PNE fans, he was on his way out in the big wage earner cull at the end of last season (by the club owner/chairman) but Brown wanted to keep him and rates him. Mellor has arguably done little for PNE since his arrival a few years ago, but Brown has got a grip of him and Mellor has lost a lot of weight and is fitter than at any time since his arrival and is producing the goods. Now it could be that he has found his level in Div 1 but either way he is doing very well, although there are many Northenders who still remain unconvinced. The fact is that the three strikers playing in a 4 3 3 are possibly as good as any in this division, Proctor 19 , Mellor, and Hume who is a class above this league. I don't think any of the three will start the game to be honest but with Phil Brown you just dont know.

I am sure Brown will want to win as that is what football is all about, but he will see the league as the priority. PNE will have played two games less in the league than most after tonight, which means more games on top of each other some time or other.

13. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Member

Reckon we should let PNE win as I don't fancy our chances down at Southampton. Its yet another game and more chances for our fringe players to pick up knocks !

14. theflyingplumber

Hi!! robbieaddick....<ok>.....Following PNE's relegation and financial difficulties, all the high earners had to be moved on and Brown has had to rebuild using loan signings/free transfers and members of our successful youth team players. Some of the youngsters have real potential and have already broken into the first team, other young players are on the fringes but have already made their debut but are not playing regularly. It is still work in progress at Deepdale and the team is still getting used to each other and have yet to fully gel. There are a couple of players who have not played so far this season due to injury but are now in full training and could be due for a start, there is also the odd player like centre half Morgan (very experienced) but out of favour with Phil Brown who could play tomorrow. Things are looking good at Deepdale and in my opinion the best is still to come yet and firmly believe that PNE will be thereabouts at the end of the season, not getting carried away at all and there is an awful long way to go and there will be setbacks along the way.

Hope you all enjoy the game whatever the result, I ain't too fussy about the result to be honest...<ok>

;)

15. markos50

markos50 New Member

Tend to agree Plumber, push this competition to one side and think about the league. Wish I could say the same about the JPT, coming from Lancaster and with a few MFC contacts my life will be hell if we lose at the Globe! Bentley has got the Shrimps playing with spirit so it will be a tough one.

16. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

Unusually for me , not bothered if we win or lose, take it as an opportunity for fringe players to get some game time in, fingers crossed that none of the regular players pick up an injury.
    But they do say any game is a good game to win and breeds confidence and belief. :) :)

17. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Not bothered tomorrow an away game at Southampton next, suspect both sides will be trying to lose, so it's extra time and penalties then

18. theflyingplumber

Smith and Gray are are still unfit to play and will not feature tomorrow night.

Apparently Phil Brown has indicated on PNE player that he may give a debut to a youngster who would become the youngest ever player to play for PNE in a competitive first team fixture. If he does play (whoever he is) he will have to beat John Barton's debut in goal at 16 years of age "AGAINST ARSENAL".

19. theflyingplumber

Maclad...<ok>

Heard a rumour that "El Hadj Diouf" is still being paid by Rovers, so signing for PNE wouldn't be a problem money wise....<laugh><laugh><laugh>

20. theflyingplumber