1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2018-19 season stats for Charlton Athletic (updated 6 May)

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Jul 29, 2018.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Season 2018-19 - it's all over bar the play-offs!

Table 1 ... League Table & form (last 5 games)

Table 1.png

Charlton's form (last 6 games):
    1st

Charlton's form (last 10 games):
    1st

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Table 2 ... League Position compared to all recent 3rd Division seasons

Table 2.png

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Table 3 ... League points compared to targets for promotion / avoiding relegation

Table 3.png
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Table 4 ... Starting XI and substitutes for league games & other key statistics

Table 4.png

Colour key for squares in fixtures columns:

Starting XI
    Light Blue ................................... Player in starting XI ... (plays whole match)
    Light blue fading to purple .... Player Substituted
    Yellow ......................................... Player yellow carded ... (plays whole match)
    Yellow fading to orange ......... Player yellow carded then substituted
    Red .............................................. Player sent off ... (any combination of cards)

Substitutes
    Purple ......................................... Player brought on as a substitute
    Purple fading to yellow .......... Substitute yellow carded
    Purple fading to red ................ Substitute sent off ... (any combination of cards)
    o (grey) ....................................... Unused substitute

Starting XI or Substitutes
    Number ....................................... Goals scored
    X (grey) ........................................ Player out injured
    X (red) .......................................... Player out suspended
    D (green) ..................................... Player away on International duty
    (grey boxes to the right) ......... Fixtures after a player leaves the squad
    (grey boxes to the left) ............ Fixtures before a player joined the squad

(since substitutes are hardly ever substituted themselves I decided not to bother having a colour to denote that!)
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Table 5 ... Points & Goals data, distance from targets, and future league position

A table designed to predict (by extrapolation) how the 2018-19 season will end for Charlton Athletic.
    This may help us to track changes of form during the season.

It will also keep track of how many points Charlton are above/below

relegation
    play-offs
    automatic promotion
    at any given point during the season.

Table 5 (A).png
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Table 6 ... average stats for home and away games

Table 5 (B).png

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

lardiman likes this.
  3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

4th August update:

Sunderland AFC 2 -1 Charlton Athletic

A disappointing season opener, and a long journey home for our traveling fans without even the consolation of an away point (which would have been deserved in my opinion).
    There were a few individual mistakes, but on the whole I am not sure the players that Lee Bowyer picked for this match could really have done much more than they did. Granted we sat back in the second half and tired, while Sunderland were lifted by their tactical changes and the backing of 30,000+ fans.

A set back for sure and a bitter tasting one right now, but by no means a disaster. There is a long way to go yet.

Attendance: 31,079 (770 from Charlton)

Stats 180804.png

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  4. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

5. CafcFactsStats

6. lardiman

Forum Moderator

12th August update;

Charlton Athletic 2 - 1 Shrewsbury Town

Poor first half from both teams, low key atmosphere and poor attendance for a first home game of the season.
    But a much better second half after astute tactical changes by Lee Bowyer. Charlton deserved this win and many of our young players did themselves great credit. Well done too the fans who encouraged them.
    A big boost for team confidence in difficult times. 3 big points on the board. Just what we needed! :1980_boogie_down:

Attendance: 9,429 (435 from Shrewsbury)

Stats 180811.png

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  7. CafcFactsStats

8. CafcFactsStats

9. CafcFactsStats

10. CafcFactsStats

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

18th August update;

Accrington Stanley 1-1 Charlton Athletic

I really thought we were going to win this game handsomely. Of course Accrington were going to battle hard, but Taylor terrified the Shrewsbury defence last weekend and I thought he and Karlan Grant would have too much for Accrington.
    The stats suggest we did not even dominate the game. One away point yes, but a sobering 5 points now dropped from winning positions and the season is only three games old.
    Peterborough United are flying right now. Stopping them at the Valley on Tuesday evening is going to be a very tough ask.

Well done though again to our travelling fans.
    The country's creaking rail service was no help, but I'm sure they did us proud from the stands.

Attendance: 2,265 (678 from Charlton)

Stats 180818.png

12. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

I thought your prediction of four goals for us was wildly optimistic. I said it would be a draw and sadly I was proved right. When was the last time we scored four goals?

13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Strangely enough you won't read me predicting four goals for the Addicks against Peterborough.
    We'll be lucky if we don't ship four.

14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

22nd August update;

Charlton Athletic 0-1 Peterborough United

A cruel and undeserved end to an exciting evening at the Valley.
    Until the penalty, I thought this was one of the best 0-0 games I had seen for a long time. Peterborough started very quickly but it did not take too long for Charlton to match their pace and begin to cut out their slick moves. The first half was pretty open and good entertainment for the most part, if lacking in shots on target.

Second half if anything was even better, with Posh coming under sustained pressure in the final 15 minutes or so, and a feeling that if we persevered then surely a chance would be converted in the end. The penalty decision was a shocker. If Dillon Phillips had been able to save it the roof would have come off the Valley and justice would have been done. Unfortunately it was not to be.

Credit to Phillips though, and to all the players for putting in a huge effort and matching Peterborough despite everything that went against the home side. I hope Lee Bowyer did not say anything to the referee after full time which might end up with a charge and a lengthy ban. I can fully understand LB's anger and frustration, but we need him there in the dug-out.

Attendance was not great, but the atmosphere was much better than at the Shrewsbury game a fortnight previously.
    Loud and sustained support for the lads, who were applauded off after the final whistle by many fans who saw how much they gave trying to win that game.

Attendance: 9,762 (745 from Peterborough)

Stats 180822.png

15. CafcFactsStats

16. CafcFactsStats

17. CafcFactsStats

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

26th August update;

Charlton Athletic 0-0 Fleetwood Town

A downbeat end to a difficult week.
    Unsettling events off the pitch led to further divisions among some fans. A protest and match disruption which were no more than muted echoes of angry mass demonstrations three seasons ago. And a performance on the pitch which was frankly little more than a muted echo of many past match-days at the Valley.

Even after the crisp bag throwing (which halted the match for about 60 seconds) was out of the way, the atmosphere inside the Valley was very strange. There were chants supporting the team and manager but they almost had a half-hearted feel about them and they faded away after only a few minutes, particularly in the first half. For long periods before half time the game was being played with near silence from the stands. There were not even enough travelling Fleetwood supporters to galvanise the North stand into voice.
    As for the attendance?
    I must admit I thought there were about the same number of fans in the ground as for the Shrewsbury game, but the official figures say otherwise. Shockingly low.

On the pitch I thought Charlton dominated the first half and (to a lesser extent) the second half, though that domination was never overwhelming and our advantage was never pressed home. I was surprised when I first saw the stats to be honest, as I thought Charlton were in charge more than those stats reveal.
    However we often failed to deal very well with Fleetwood counter-attacks and did not get stuck into them as much as we should have. Both sides were putting in plenty of effort, but the game never really came to life I thought.
    We managed to make Fleetwood look better than they really were.

Five points dropped in two home games is disappointing, but some positives are worth mentioning - if only to lighten the mood a little.
    • The return of Igor Vetokele and Jason Pearce.
    • A Clean sheet for Dillon Phillips (first of the season), earned with an excellent save. Only one wobble near the end of the game when he was closed down, but we got away with it.
    • No new injuries as far as I know.
    Attendance: 8,810 (80 from Fleetwood)

Stats 180826.png

19. CafcFactsStats

20. CafcFactsStats