1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2018-19 season stats for Charlton Athletic (updated 6 May)

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Jul 29, 2018.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

1st September update;

Southend United 1-2 Charlton Athletic

I did not travel to this game, so I know very little about the performance. But I gather it was quite uneventful in the first half, but came to life after the break (presumably when the first goal went in). And the finale was full of drama with three sendings off and the game not finishing until quite a while after 5pm.

According to Royston, who was there, the atmosphere was very good with a large contingent of travelling Addicks fans.
    Well done to Lee Bowyer and the team for being able to secure this win despite all the distractions during the week as the loan window came to a busy conclusion.
    Charlton are up into the top half of the table, and our next league fixture against Wycombe at the Valley is surely a winnable one.

Attendance: 7,923 (1,523 from Charlton)

Stats 180901.png

2. CafcFactsStats

CafcFactsStats Well-Known Member

3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

9th September update;

Charlton Athletic 3-2 Wycombe Wanderers

An enjoyable, fast-paced lower league footy-fest at the Valley yesterday afternoon.
    Wycombe accounted for themselves really well, but were caught off-balance by the substitute appearances of Ben Reeves and George Lapslie mid-way through the second half. Charlton did enough during that spell to take the points, though Wycombe enjoyed a late revival which led to a nervy spell of stoppage time.
    Good to see more fans inside the Valley, I would estimate maybe 1,000 more than the last home league game. The North stand certainly looked better populated. Having a good number of vocal away fans helped the atmosphere as well.

Two distinctly winnable games coming up now against teams in poor form (Bradford and Plymouth).
    With players returning from injury and our Loanee International players available again, Charlton could have a haul of 17 points from their first 9 matches in a fortnight's time. That will surely see us in the top 6.

Attendance: 10,358 (1,078 from Wycombe)

Stats 180909.png

4. CafcFactsStats

5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

15th September update;

Bradford City 0-2 Charlton Athletic

I cannot say much about the match as I hardly ever get to away games, but by all accounts (and the stats below) this was a very decent day for the Addicks.
    Two goals - one world class - and a clean sheet, all three points taken at a difficult ground to go to with a big home crowd and some Bradford fans getting angry at how we out-smarted them.

Absolute music to my ears. A Charlton team showing nouse as well as playing hard, giving out some of the medicine we have been taking for years ourselves in order to win games rather than get brushed off the ball and bullied out of points.
    There will undoubtedly be tougher tests to come. But this Charlton team is showing more potential than any since our promotion season of 2011-12.
    And just perhaps (though it is very early days) even more potential than that hugely successful side...

Attendance: 15,709 (number of Charlton fans not known at this time)

Stats 180916.png

6. CafcFactsStats

7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

23rd September update;

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Plymouth Argyle

The first game of the season where autumn was truly in the air. Despite the grey weather though the football was far from dull. Plenty of attacking play (even some from Plymouth) and end-to-end stuff at times.
    Aside from the first ten minutes of the second half Charlton dominated the game, but often in a less than convincing manner. When Plymouth were not time-wasting they were allowed to break on us rather too many times for my liking. For a while it looked as if even the sustained pressure we had them under in the last 15 minutes might not be rewarded. The ball was pinging around all over their 6 yard box but just would not go in - until the 87th minute when Karlan Grant poked home a loose ball to turn the pressure into 3 points.

A watchable game for sure. A patchy performance to say the least in my opinion (though several key players were absent) but the all important thing is that the lads found a way to win.
    Charlton's start under Lee Bowyer this season is now better than Karl Robinson's from 2017-18.

Attendance: 10,818 (1,013 from Plymouth)

Stats 180923.png

8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

29th September update;

Luton Town 2-2 Charlton Athletic

From the stats it looks like this game was a tough one for Charlton, and we knew in advance Kenilworth Road is a difficult place to go and get a win. It sounds as though Lee Bowyer's men put in another spirited team performance and never gave up the fight. A terrific late strike from Chris Solly gave the lads a hard earned point and has surely boosted morale again.

Defeat today would not have been a disaster in itself, but to extend our unbeaten run has got to be good for the spirit in the dressing room and the self-belief that LB and JJ have fostered so well this season.
    A great parting gift for the army of travelling Addicks fans as well. Our away support has been magnificent.

Attendance: 9,502 (1,032 from Charlton)

Stats 180929.png

9. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see match averages for season to date... ie possession, shots, fouls per game etc <ok>

Fouls must be coming in at @15 per game ?

10. CafcFactsStats

11. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I've added a new table to the first post in my stats thread (this one); Table 6

Table 6.png

This will be updated along with the other tables after each league game.

As you can see we are making an average of 14 fouls per game at home, 18 per game away...

12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

2nd October update;

Scunthorpe United 5-3 Charlton Athletic

After playing with an injury for several weeks Lewis Page finally breaks down.

Hang on though ... we haven't got any cover for him! :emoticon-0104-surpr What a shocker. Never saw that coming.
    And Bielik misses his fifth straight game! :emoticon-0104-surpr How could anybody know he would be so injury prone?

Thanks Mr D for your generosity during the summer.
    It's a good thing Lee Bowyer gets on so well with you.

Attendance: 3,341 (number of Charlton fans not known at this time)

Stats 181002.png

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  13. CafcFactsStats

14. CafcFactsStats

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

7th October update;

Charlton Athletic 1-2 Coventry City

On a grey and rainy afternoon at the Valley what looked like being a routine win turned into a classic mugging in the space of about ten minutes. Charlton played the better football in the first half and deserved to be ahead at the break. Coventry were certainly not out of the game but we fashioned more and better chances, and we should have taken at least one from open play.

The first twenty minutes of the second half saw Charlton bossing things even more, applying what looked like very promising pressure. I was pretty sure that 1-0 would become 2-0 in due course. But then we seemed to let the pressure ease after a while... I wonder whether a few of the players might have begun thinking that the single goal would be enough after all. Then Coventry made what turned out to be a telling double substitution.

Once again our defensive frailty was cruelly exposed. Charlton midfielders who had been cutting out the beginnings of Coventry counter-attacks were now letting some of them through. And twice we were punished by pretty simple but well executed goal scoring moves.

The team put a lot of hard work into that game. Perhaps too much in the first 70 minutes or so, and our own substitutions were ineffective. The Coventry fans (who supported their team very well throughout the second half) were duly rewarded with the equaliser. But I don't think even they could believe their team had snatched all three points almost at the death.

Now the momentum of a few weeks ago has truly gone.
    Lee Bowyer needs to ensure that the confidence which underpinned that momentum does not begin to crumble as well.
    Barnsley in two weeks time will be a tough fixture - but Charlton have raised their game before when playing better opponents.
    We need to arrest our slide back into mid-table as soon as possible.

Attendance: 11,743 (1,879 from Coventry)

Stats 181007.png

16. CafcFactsStats

17. CafcFactsStats

18. CafcFactsStats

19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

21st October update;

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Barnsley

An excellent example of teamwork, hard work and conentration from Lee Bowyer's team at the Valley yesterday - a combination that cocksure Barnsley quickly discovered they had no answer to. All the things we got wrong late on against Coventry were corrected. What should have been a very tough game with a nerve-wracking finish was made into a professional win that never really looked in doubt.

Reeves and Ward looked a bit off the pace I thought, and Naby Sarr was all over the place for a few minutes. But those minor issues aside I thought the team put in a very solid performance. Special mentions for Dijksteel, Taylor and Grant - also Jed Steer put in a decent performance. All in all a very good afternoon at the Valley for all fans, including the couple of thousand kids who got in for a quid.

Attendance: 12,416 (1,368 from Barnsley) ... This match was a 'Kids for a Quid' game.

Stats 181021.png

20. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

This table gives the lie to those who claim that our decline in attendance is due to relegation. Our previous 3 seasons in L1 saw attendances hold up at around 16,500, 50% more than our 3 L1 seasons under Roland. I wonder of CFS has the relative figure for attendances on kid-a-quid days previously? Yesterday's piteous attendance does not augur well for Charlton fans of the future.