1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charles Dickens

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by talcnturnip, Jan 30, 2012.

1. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

After yesterdays result against a decent Boro side who in the first half played us off the park, there seemed to be a lot of "chatter" (for want of a better word) about MONs tactics, the way the team are set up to play etc. etc.
    Personally I'd rather we played the fast flowing attacking football than the hit them on the break stuff we are playing. However Man Utd have been successful for years playing that sort of game so I'll bow to MONs superior knowledge on this one.
    Question to all and sundry;
    After 2 months in charge and a rake of very good results and performances did we maybe expect a bit too much from the game yesterday or, did we see a team find a way around our game plan and, with the lack of cover in vital positions a need for movement in the transfer market?
    Personally I did expect to win yesterday (1-0 on Argus predictor) but, only just.
    I did see a team swamp the central midfield area and so overloading our defence and, a better team (no offence to Boro) would have taken us apart. Maybe that was down to the CMs not protecting the back four who knows hopefully with Catts back for the replay we should find out.
    As for the transfers we DO need a striker and we also need a CB over to the top men to sort something out before Midnight Tuesday.

2. shiney-mackem

shiney-mackem Member

Really not sure they" played us of the park " they probably edged the first half but it was a pretty even game throughout. I think we should have won yesterday and I fully expect us to do the business in the return game. As for the transfer market an experienced C/F is a must ( yes I would take Davies) if Brown is ok after yesterday's fall I wouldn't go for a C/B, but when will we ever get a proper L/B. Richardson had another poor game yesterday, I know he is not a defender but that doesn't excuse his terrible passing.

3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I personally thought we missed Cattermole massively and Wickham looked knackered very early on in the game.
    Once Campbell came on we looked a much bigger threat going forward and second half McLeanlooked back to what he is capable of.

Ricco was poor at the weekend - his worst game since MoN took over IMO and O'Shea's attempted pass out of defence which eventually led to their goal...

If Catts had been playing yesterday I think we'd have won - he makes that much difference to the side IMO. Drives us on when the chips are down so to speak

4. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Totally this 100%. Well said.

5. Wease555

Wease555 Active Member

Boro need to be given some credit, they played very well and pressed us all over the park. Do I feel bad about a draw or am I starting to look at the team and think hhhmmmmmm, we need this or that or somehow the tactics were wrong, no of course not. You can't win every game and have to accept that some days the players just don't perform.
    We got in enough good positions in the second half to win the game but it just didn't happen. We all agree we need a striker but if we don't get one in January I will not be bothered as we are scoring from other parts of the pitch, let MON spend the cash in the summer when there are more players of better value about.

A few short weeks ago I had written this season off and was seriously worried about relegation, now we can go 8th if we win our next game and we are still in the cup, how mad is that.

6. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

More questions than answers came from the Boro game....

After all it was a championship team, taking on what was on paper a decent prem team...

Take nothing away from their goal, or the way the went about the game...

I still havn't heard the actual reason Gardners goal wasn't given...there's several reasons why it shouldn't have stood, but the refs actual reason was?????????

7. mitchthemakem

mitchthemakem Well-Known Member

I also think me missed cattermole but i am more concerned about O,Shea,s passing ability once he has the ball,
    I also think a few had an off day yesterday but its nice to see frazier still has his pace.
    i would put in a bid for Samba personally

8. Wease555

Wease555 Active Member

We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with a sloppy pass out of defense. As soon as O'Shea gave it away I knew a goal would come of it. Its happened a few times recently and its such a shame when we defend well for 99% of a match and offer a goal on a plate, Spurs for example

9. yogi2409

yogi2409 Member

Offside, apparently either thought Wickham touched it on the way in or interferred with play ie. blocking the keepers view.

10. CyprusMackem

CyprusMackem Active Member

Offside. Which it wasn't.
    I think the Ref saw the supposed handball and decided there was nothing in it. That's why he asked the linesman why he flagged, if he had said handball the goal would of stood IMO.

11. talcnturnip

talcnturnip Well-Known Member

The linesman flagged but, not for offside as he didn't put his flag straight out he held it up until he had a little chat with the ref then indicated an offside total **** up between the officials. All they had to do was blow up for the handball which was Glodtrotteresque in it's blatancy then we would all think fine.

12. Not_cricket

Not_cricket Active Member

You can only be offside if you interfere with play and as no attempt to play the ball was made it was not offside

13. andersonhurleymcnab

Certainly the linesman would not have seen the 'hand ball', Garder had his back to him.

14. billofengland

billofengland Well-Known Member

If you watch the replay, you can quite clearly lipread the linesmans offside call.

15. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

16. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

First point, I certainly don't think that Boro played us off the park in the first half (or second for that matter) at all, and a draw was probably about right.
    Second point, I don't think the handball was as obvious as some are making out..he had his tucked right into his body and couldn't do anything about the ball hitting them: if it's not intentional it's not handball!
    Thirdly, I feel that Boro have had their shot and we will win the replay nee bother...

17. Wherewereyou

Wherewereyou Guest

I'd go along with all of this - assuming that we can muster up a team next week!!

18. Black Cat Kiwi

Black Cat Kiwi Well-Known Member

The rule states "in the opinion of the referee" as applied to.......

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or
    • interfering with an opponent or
    • gaining an advantage by being in that position

The third point as applied to the team, is often the determing factor.

19. MackemsRule

MackemsRule Well-Known Member

Too true Reg.
    I also agree with the lads mention of Catts, we missed him badly.