1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Charity donation to Dove House - Euro 2020

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Febbos, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Febbos

Febbos Well-Known Member

As @oldman and @Duffens_Briefs won the Euro 2020 Sweepstakes, I did mention that the winner could pick any charity they wanted and I would donate a few quid.

Oldman has requested that the charity goes to Dove House.
    Feel free to join with a donation on https://www.dovehouse.org.uk/support-us/donate/

More information about Dove House down below

"
    Hello Febbos,

Thank you so much for for your gift of £10.00 in support of Dove House Hospice.

Your support really does help us to make a positive difference to the lives of people in Hull and East Yorkshire, people that are in great need of medical and emotional support during what is often the most difficult and overwhelming of times.

Each day another person turns to us for help. We are deeply aware that we can only continue to care for our patients and their families due to kind donations such as yours. Your generosity helps us continue to provide the highest quality care and also develop further to meet the ever increasing demand on our services.
    If you would like to find out about other ways you can get involved with the hospice please take a look on our website, email [email protected] or call 01482 785743. To find out more about how we use your data or to update your communication preferences please visit www.dovehouse.org.uk/data

On behalf of everyone here at Dove House Hospice thank you so much for helping us add life to days when days can no longer be added to life.

Thank you

The Dove House Hospice Fundraising Team"

Attached Files:

2. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Nice gesture,great cause.

Hospices have suffered immeasurable hardship due to their fund raising shops closing during the pandemic.They rely heavily on donations(the one local to me,Strathcarron Hospice in Denny,needs to raise over £14000 a day to survive).

Matched your donation and I hope that more may follow...Well done Febbos!!!

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

4. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

Done.
    Nice one Febbos. :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Matched, great work Febbos

Febbos, rovertiger and Ric Glasgow like this.
  6. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

7. FLG

FLG Well-Known Member

Also matched.
    Well done all.

8. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Nice one. Good choice. Dove House are an organisation I did some volunteering for a couple of years ago.

Febbos and Ric Glasgow like this.
  9. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Done.

Thanks for organising the Sweepstake and this donation Febbos.

Ric Glasgow, Febbos and rovertiger like this.
  10. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Well done Febbos and everyone that contributes :emoticon-0148-yes:

Febbos likes this.

11. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Well done Febbos, Great choice too. My dad spent some time there as respite towards the end. It was his choice of where he wanted to be when he died, but we couldn't get him back in. I have never heard anyone have a bad word about Dove House.

Just reminded me of a bitter/sweet memory when dad's respite came to an end there. I had a 'meeting' with dad and a myriad of consultants, doctors, nurses etc. They explained that he no longer met their criteria, so would have to be discharged. The logical choice which would meet his needs was a nursing home. However, Dad was desperate to get back to his home (partly because he'd fallen in love with his carer...seriously the inheritance was at risk!!!!). Professionals were in no doubt that he wouldn't get the necessary support at home but because he still had the mental capacity to choose, they would have to go along with his wishes. They said to me the only way to get him in a nursing home was for him to agree to it. So I had this weird conversation with dad trying to persuade him that he wouldn't be able to manage, in a large circle made up of professionals (who clearly were n't allowed to contribute). He stood up in the middle of the circle, started doing a jig while reciting poetry (no idea where that came from) and then declaring 'look of course I'm fit enough to look after myself'. This continued for what seemed like an age, the professionals were incredibly patient, but he was always a stubborn old sod! Just as professionals were drawing things to a close, he came out with 'Alright, I'll go then!!', in the manner of a sulky teenager. They got him to quickly sign paperwork before he changed his mind.
    It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, I aren't a 'crier', but came out of the room and just roared my eyes out. Dad sulked with me for a few days and did nothing but complain about the nursing home! He was there for 2/3 weeks before he passed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021