1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Channel 4 to take over from BBC

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If ITV got F1 back then they would have to seriously reconsider whether they can run it with in race adverts. There would be much lower tolerance for it this time round and the viewing figures are hardly promising to start with.

I can only hope that this is part of a long term deal to get a full F1 season back on terrestrial tv. I can't see how sky can continue as things stand, can the F1 channel draw in enough revenue with it's pitiful amount of viewers? Many of whom I imagine have sky sports primarily not due to F1?

Theres a definite feeling that F1 has been sucked dry now, I just hope that when the people start to bail it's the dead wood rather than the ones that matter.

Number 1 Jasper and EternalMSC like this.
  3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The only question with Sky is that having F1 makes them look like a more rounded sports broadcaster, which helps them win customers against BT. The channel itself might make a loss but is that offset significantly enough by the marketing benefits?

I wonder if we might see ITV try ads like the Americans do with NASCAR (I think?) And have the live feed inset for periods of time with ads displayed around the screen.

Max Whiplash, ched999uk and Smithers like this.
  4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Anyone noticed that SkySportsF1 is off air?

Normally goes through the winter showing race re-runs, documentaries etc

EternalMSC likes this.
  5. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

The channel has been temporarily repurposed for the darts it will be back fairly soon I expect. The other way of getting Sky Sports F1 is free with The HD package.

Re ITV - If F1 continues the way it has for the last two years, I think I'd rather watch the adverts.

El_Bando likes this.
  6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Itv do have the option of running all practises etc on one of their other channels like they do with the BTCC and support races, matching Sky.

If they run the race on the main channel I can't see them getting away from adverts, but I love the idea of having the in race adverts instead of actual breaks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  7. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

If ITV get the deal I expect no adverts in the race, but them to be apparent in practice sessions.
    I think the BBC gave up a season ago in terms of how much effort they put into broadcasting.
    I wouldn't mind James Allen back, anything other than Croft for 3 hours would be good.

TopClass likes this.
  8. ched999uk

Just realised that if BBC pull out we loose the BBC radio coverage as well!! So that means I can't watch RTL images and listen to BBC Radio 5 live coverage.I can't be bothered to learn German and I am not paying for Sky Sports just to watch F1.
    So looks like I wont be following F1 from next year after watching for about 20 years. I am feeling sad now.:emoticon-0106-cryin

9. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

It's incredibly easy to get a stable HD stream these days, the only downside is that you do get Croft.

Acestream streams seem to work the best for me, it runs through VLC (kinda) and is not a dodgy download (assuming you get it from the Acestream site itself). Theres also things like squirrelsteams and the other one I've now forgotten....

Also places like this http://burningwhee1s.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/2015-formula-1-round-18-abu-dhabi-grand.html

or use Redit to find streams before races. Adblocker also stops any annoying mess jumping in on your video :)

ched999uk likes this.
  10. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Is 5live commentary part of the same contract? It's not the FOM feed at least, and it's not like commercial are likely to take an interest.

Also, despite it being my suggestion that ITV use inset adverts, apparently that's not possible under Ofcom rules. It has to be full screen adverts or programming.

11. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

They'll just have to explain how a lap time was as good as the new black and decker SDS drill etc <ok>

12. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

You know F1 has gone entirely down the crapper when North America can watch every race live while Europe is scrambling. Utter balls!

ched999uk likes this.
  13. Sportista

Didn't R5L have commentary even when the races were on ITV before. AFAIK the contracts are separate?

14. ched999uk

I hope so.

15. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Remember when we all thought James Allen was ****?

Crofty soon addressed that for us.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  16. Sportista

Were you asleep during the legendary Legard years? (I'm not surprised!)

Max Whiplash, TopClass and El_Bando like this.
  17. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

This is such a good-humoured discussion and I have laughed out loud several times but the BBC is being systematically wounded at the behest of Murdoch and I doubt that Rupert cares whether F1 is not working for him right now in a direct sense. It will be very sad for me if the BBC's coverage of F1 ends as their presenting team and their way of broadcasting flatter what has become a very dull spectacle masquerading as a sport.

That's not to imply that ITV couldn't do something good with it but I don't see this as a positive prospect as it stands.

ched999uk and TopClass like this.
  18. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

No one has come close in modern years to when we had the full BBC team fronted by Jake (hugely underrated young presenter) just prior to the Sky Sports switch. That was a real nicely balanced team. It was a Murray Walker away from completeness!

El_Bando likes this.
  19. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The problem with the TV teams (except for the ex-drivers) is that they often start out ok or even relatively good - but as their egos grow they clamber for more and become detached from what actually made them ok!

EternalMSC and allsaintchris. like this.
  20. happyal

happyal Active Member

EternalMSC likes this.