1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Channel 4 Dispatches

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by H-D, Jul 18, 2011.

1. H-D

H-D Active Member

Not sure if anybody watched that, but there was some serious stuff being branded about.

All about financing the takeover of a football club, Bryan Robson very much at the centre of it - on Channel 4 +1 now, I recommend it <ok>

2. chien

chien Member

Hmmmm Cardif, Leeds, leicester and shefield utd all up for sale !!!!!

To be honest i want that shocked, and there was nothing really daming about it, and robbo hit the nail on the head !

3. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

It's certainly the way to make money in football. Buy a Champ club, throw a few million at it, get promoted and then sell (although I can't think of a single example of that happening).

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Would we necessarily know if the true owners changed?

Was it Southampton's registered owner that's been dead for a year?

5. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

Really?!?

I thought you were going to talk about FSF Ltd

6. H-D

H-D Active Member

Yes, that's true! Technically their owner is still Markus Liebherr, who died last year. His company is based in Switzerland - so they are still under 'foreign ownership', even though the man who owned the club is deceased

7. Spiderman_UTS

Spiderman_UTS Member

Our owner is his daughter who inherited the club when he passed away

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It was quite interesting, I suspect Bryan Robson might not be a Man United ambassador much longer and Joe won't be getting any dinner invites from Sir Alex any time soon.

9. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm just watching it now, other than the well known fact that if you set up a chain of companies it's difficult to prove who owns what, the bit you've said, and the shocking revelation that if you're friends with the managers at top clubs you're more likely to get their players on loan than if you don't I don't think they've made a point yet.

Do they tell us anything at all or am I wasting my time?

10. El-Barninho

El-Barninho Member

lol! took me a minute!!!

11. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

Not that it really exists anyway amongst real football fans, but has anyone still got any respect for the Premier League?

I wonder if the News International fiasco will rebound onto the Premiership in the near future via Sky?

12. smidgen

smidgen Active Member

Well - wasn't it Sky's obscene money purchase of TV rights that ruined the Premier League?

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Dispatches threads merged <ok>

14. mussiesredhat

"....(although I can't think of a single example of that happening)...." not even at Leicester, Cardiff, Southampton, Birmingham or QPR? How can we take all our so called naive football pundits seriously when they ignore the fact that these so called 'BIG CLUBS' are no longer traditional football clubs but simply a money making 'vehicle', having nothing to do with football itself! The sooner it all implodes the better!!!!!!!

15. mussiesredhat

are they the first club in the world to be owned from another dimension?

[video=youtube;whSYTSXm8wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSYTSXm8wo[/video]

16. mussiesredhat

isnt Brian Robson recuperating from Cancer? Or is that something that was put out when they got wind of the Dispatches programme? I also have to say that although the programme was interesting, the last week's publicity leading up to its airing has been another example of some programme scheduler hyping up an issue which was in fact no more than bleedin obvious and not really illegal?

17. mussiesredhat

is it a little worrying that we have a stream of Man Utd kids directed our way? Do you think Mr Pearson (either of them) or Mr Walsh knows Joe Sim?

18. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

Did not see the programme but will watch it this week on the watch again system. As for Murdoch ? he is in shark infested waters now and the knives are out for his empire. If ALL/ANY of the allegations are proven on both sides of
    the pond then it should well mean the end or a ruddy big hole will be put into it. Even if sky cut there investment the PL would simply do there own TV rights with all the various broadcasters around the world directly. Until the popularity
    of the PL dwindels wordwide i dont see a problem re.money. Looking at the pictures from USA and Asia the top clubs still have great dermand and pulling power.

For me, I hate the PL and all it strands for. PURE GREED. The championship is by far a better league in terms of excitememt of the football drama but its with regret that you have to be in the PL for the BIG MONEY(cue Rush).

Only in the last couple of weeks is the PL of any interest due to its drama within the relegation zone.

19. mussiesredhat

sorry No 1. I didnt read down the board. By the way, are you at Ferriby tonight? Doubt if our usual spot at Mr Pearson's right hand will be available tonight?

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It's bad for Robson's reputation, but as you say, there was little in the programme that was any great surprise. You'd expect managers to help their mates out with loans and what was offered was quite vague and probably no more than anyone would expect was going on.