1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship Watch!

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Nine games in, so it's surely a tad early for all the doom and gloom. A couple of wins/losses, and things will look different.
    Isn't this a repeat of last season, coming from nowhere to the playoffs ? Or has covid affected my memory ?

Warnock leading 'Boro to promotion, though ? What a joyous prospect for the PL.
    The collective sigh of those already feasting at the top table would be a joy to hear. <laugh>

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sometimes too early becomes too late before you realise it.

3. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Morning all. Hope everyone is well.
    I would normally agree that 9 games in is too early to be sounding alarm bells, but this seems different than just a bad start to the season. In my untrained eyes, there seems a lack of direction - we're rudderless and this seems to affect not only how we play but also attitudes. It all seems very disjointed and I can't help feeling there is something fundamentally wrong. Every game now seems to follow a pattern and that can't be right. I think you're right sparkey, more of this up until Christmas and we'll be influencing the bottom and not the top.

ninian opinion and Oldsparkey like this.
  4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I suppose there are only a few suprises in the early season table after just the 9 games.

1. I didn't expect Reading to be top and clear.
    2. I didn't expect Derby and Forest to be in the bottom 6.
    3. I didn't expect us to be in the bottom half.

The rest looks pretty much what was expected. The 3 relegated clubs Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich all top 6, with Wycombe, Coventry and Rotherham all bottom 6. The mid table regulars like Bristol City, Brum and Blackburn developing along their recent history.

What about City? At the momnet we could finish in all three categories.

5. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

As I see it having watched every minute of our games this season, we are miles off where we were expected to be ie around the top 6.

It’s not difficult to see why we’ve struggled. Every game bar the 2 we’ve won, we’ve started slowly, negatively & conceded first.

It’s the lack of tempo, midfield especially,which means there’s nothing going forward - never much space for our wingers. This aside from some poor defending and not tracking runners which have led to virtually every goal we’ve conceded.

Yes it’s been a problem not having our two playmakers and no RB cover but the fact is we’ve scored only 7 goals from open play! There’s been no periods of sustained pressure in games. There’s no swagger or style or confidence.

I would much prefer to see Bagan play, He at least can cross a ball.
    What was the point of Mark Harris getting 40 seconds; bring him on for at least 20 minutes.

I’m hopeful that we may see an improvement this week with Wilson and Tomlin available but not confident.

I can’t see us going down but equally can’t see us being anything other than mid table as it stands.

clingo likes this.
  6. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Mid table at best on this form.

Against Barnsley, if fit, both Wilson and Tomlin must start. Wilson out wide on the left with licence to roam and Tomlin at 10. Ojo on the other wing. With Moore up top that's our best 4 in attack.

Some would say our only 4. <doh> Although as he showed when he came on yesterday Hoilett still has something to offer.

As opposed to Murphy who is nowhere near the player of 2 years ago. Has he switched clubs with his twin brother, Jacob, and told no one? Josh used to be the better of the two but Jacob is now doing better in the Prem with Newcastle.

Pack and Ralls in holding midfield and the back 4 picks itself, unfortunately. No other option than Bacuna at right back (why in hell's name did we not get rb cover in the window? - Sanderson on the bench again for Sunderland yesterday) and Bennett will always get the nod over Bagan if fit.

Apart from Hoilett and, arguably Glatzel (if fit), those are only attacking bench options. I'm not counting Murphy as he is so poor. If young Harris is again on the bench then at least give him a run in the last 20 minutes, win, lose or draw. Let's see what he can do.

This season is turning into a disaster.

ccfcremotesupport and clingo like this.
  7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Just watched Jacob Murphy playing this afternoon for Newcastle against Everton - miles superior to brother Josh in every department.

He took defenders on with conviction and chased back in defence when Newcastle got in front. He showed all the confidence that's lacking in his brother.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  8. ninian opinion

Why should he? Bagan gets up and down, he is a decent crosser and he deserves more game time. I’d have him as my first pick ahead of both Bennett and Cunningham.

He’s the future of this club not Bennett.

Same applies to Mark Harris. I reiterate just what was the point of him getting less than a minute yesterday?

Give him game time. He can only get experience and confidence if he’s playing and until he does play we’ll not know if he can cut it at this level. (I made this point about Bagan and he has showed he’s worth more games)

Put another way he can’t do any worse than the midfielders City put out at Derby & QPR

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Tom Sang should never have been sent out on loan when he actually was in the full knowledge that Tomlin was struggling.

It was only late in the day (deadline day) that we managed to get Wilson as an option - Sang, although inexperienced was a viable option for that slot like Bagan was for Bennett at LB.

ninian opinion likes this.
  10. BluefromBridgend

Bagan was always regarded as a good prospect. Even Colin said so. But at present I wouldn't start him over Bennett. To be honest I didn't think Bagan had pushed forward enough to get in telling crosses. That will come in time.

Would you start Harris over Tomlin, Wilson or even Moore? He is certainly not a winger.

Totally agree Sang should have stayed.

11. ninian opinion

My point was he should have had more than 40 seconds on Saturday.

12. BluefromBridgend

I agree with that Nin. 40 seconds was pointless.

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I see Zohore is out for 8 weeks with an injury so wont be in the Millwall lineup against us in the first match back after the international break.

Good or bad? (for us, not Ken)

14. BluefromBridgend

Poor old Ken is something of a Jonah. Injuries inversely proportionate to successes.

15. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Just looked at tonight's results. This division is as crazy as ever.

16. ninian opinion

Preston are staggering: Jekyll and Hyde team.
    Then Wycombe suddenly have 2 wins on the bounce.

irishbluebird likes this.
  17. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

And Sheffield Wednesday have picked up another six points.

clingo likes this.
  18. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Only Derby showing any consistency <whistle>

ninian opinion and irishbluebird like this.
  19. ninian opinion

Who’s winning the sack race then?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  20. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

With the Wendies getting 6 points back, Derby have lost their cushion - are they going down?

After last night, I can see Cocu following Lamouchi out the door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.