1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Championship Football

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Without wanting to put the fear into anyone, some interesting twists and turns tonight for those of you keeping an eye on the Championship. I like to check who is in with a chance of getting into the Premier League every now and again, albeit that we still most certainly don't know who we'd prefer given relegation still remains a distinct possibility.

So tonight Burnley could only manage a draw against play-off chasing Cardiff, which allowed Middlesbrough and Brighton to narrow the gap by thumping Huddersfield and beating Birmingham respectively. That means autos are still a three-way battle, realistically I don't think anyone else can do it although Hull if they win their game in hand may not be totally out of the running. It means that after looking like Brighton would run away with it, then 'Boro (with some dramatic Karanka shenanigans), then finally Burnley, we're now back to everyone being none the wiser.

The other three play-off places are taken up by Sheffield Wednesday, who just beat Lambert's Blackburn, and Derby and Hull, who played each other, with Johnno getting a good result. That cements Derby's place in the top six, gaining two points on Cardiff. With six games to play though, there's still plenty of time for Cardiff to make up the gap if any of the two or three teams above them lose form. Our old crisp packet covered friends down the road are probably too far away now following a disappointing 0-0 against relegation candidates Charlton.

So who would I like to see go up and who do I think will? First part depends on whether we get relegated of course, and I'd prefer the strongest teams to go up if we are and the weakest ones if we don't, although it's probably much of a muchness. That means for me, if we're relegated, Hopefully Hull, 'Boro and Burnley to be promoted. If we stay up, ideally Brighton, 'Boro (assuming it needs to be two in the likely autos) and then either Sheffield Wednesday or perhaps Cardiff (although the latter' status as our bogey team in the PL puts me off...)

As for who I think will, that's really tough. I can't see Burnley failing to make the autos at the moment, with a favourable fixture list and the key match at home to 'Boro on the 19th April. Despite going away to Burnley, 'Boro edge it for me on the other spot, but it's a tough call - they've got some tricky fixtures, but face Brighton at home on the last day of the season. I'd say the favourite for the play-off win will probably the one of those three that fails, but I can't help feeling that the timing of missing out is important - if it happens on the final match of the main season, that could be enough to knock confidence as it is difficult to pick yourselves back up again. But if it's a game or two before, you have time to recharge and prepare. For me, the Boro v Brighton match looks like the decider and if Brighton miss out I suspect they won't make it through the play-offs. Hull look like the most dangerous play-off team with their promotion experience, but they are hitting bad form at the wrong time, so I'm going to call it as our good friends Derby.

2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Good post Rob and yes, I've been following the promotion contenders a bit as well. I'd tend to agree re the three contenders for the autos, but I'd love to see the Owls at least make the trip to Wembley to give Hooper a chance to shine and hopefully get promoted to see if he can fulfil his promise in the PL. I felt he was not cut out to be a 'lone striker' and remember a few games last season when AN played 2 strikers when he linked up really well with CJ. The other team I'd like to see if they don't make it would be Derby, as it's a fairly easy ground to get to for us and there's a fantastic little pub about a mile from Pride Park/the IPro or whatever it's called nowadays!!! <cheers>

3. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Burnley and Boro for the autos and I would suspect the play-offs would then feature Brighton (Hughton connection), Hull (Bruce, Snoddy connection), Derby (half the team connection) and the Wendies (Hooper connection) so they'd be a bit of interest for us Canaries if that was the case.

I think the Binmen blew their chance last night so Cardiff (Pilkington connection) could be the other challenger.

JM Fan likes this.
  4. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lol, I like the 'connection' links, OCF <ok>
    Don't forget Sam Vokes and Ritchie de Laet also have NCFC connections - so whatever happens there'll presumably be ex-canaries to look out for!

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Dani Ayala still at Boro too.

6. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

One of my best mates is a Bolton fan. He's gonna feel our League One pain we felt a few years ago. Poor guy.

7. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Weekend's (and last night's) results, have hardened up the top six. I don't see our Binner friends making play-offs now, and suspect Cardiff also won't. Birmingham have an outside chance, but I can't see them making it either. So the top six probably will be as it is now. Top two decided quite possibly on the final day of the season.

At the other end, Rotherham's thrashing of MK Dons all but assures the three relegation places.

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Cant Believe Chrissy's Brighton this season! For some reason I haven't been keen on them going up. I think it's if we go down, and he takes a team up, he has the last laugh. As a Town, it would be lovely to see them get Premiership football.

Warnocks job at Rotherham....wow....just wow! :emoticon-0137-clapp

9. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Well I should be delighted to see them go up, considering the job he´s done down there this year. See my latest comment on the ´Come On Brighton´ thread for all the final fixtures. :)

10. Forgot_My_Lines

I dunno, It will be hard to swallow if his side takes our place next season!

11. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't bother me, he handled his tenure here with dignity. (I wouldn't want us to make room for them of course)

royalbarclayfan likes this.
  12. Forgot_My_Lines

Well, yea. With dignity he slowly marched us into the sea.

KIO likes this.
  13. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Indeed he did, and we sacked him, so that's ok then, right?

Doesn't make me bear him any ill will.

14. Forgot_My_Lines

I don't bear him any ill will either. As I said, I don't know why, just a feeling in the background of my mind. If we stay up, and Chrissy got Brighton promoted, I'd be pretty happy with that. I'd like Dyche to get Burnley back up. I think I'd kind of like Boro and Derby to mess it up again.

I think if we survived Id like:

1. Burnley
    2. Brighton
    ...Either Hull or Sheff Wed up through the play-offs. I like Steve Bruce, and I think Hull would need a quick return or may face money trouble. I think for the romance. Seeing Burnely, Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday all come up replacing Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland would be pretty refreshing to see.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  15. royalbarclayfan

As for having the last laugh, if we happen to pass like ships in the night, he´d certainly be justified in feeling that way, it´s only natural - not that I think he would, though.

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

But that's the part that still fails to add up for me, RBF.
    Under fairly adverse conditions, he did fine at Newcastle, Birmingham and then in his first season at Norwich.
    Failed [fairly dismally, but no need to go there again] in his second year at NCFC,
    yet, after some time out of the game, is igniting the Amex!
    He's clearly capable - he showed it last night, so why us? <wah>

:emoticon-0105-wink:

17. royalbarclayfan

I dare say I´m not going to be popular ( again), but I think he felt, more deeply than he ever showed, under pressure from the constant barracking of a section of supporters when things started to go pear-shaped, which he just couldn´t cope with, and so he stuck with what he felt safe with. I also think his likeable personality, in a strange way, worked against him, a little bit like the quiet kid at school who gets mobbed and doesn´t bite back, he became an easy target for fans rage. I still think he has an inner strength, but I also think he, perhaps more than many others, works better, and will get better results, if he can sense he has everyone´s backing. Just my opinion.

18. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Yes, and when he came here, the messiah of the last three years had just left, so tricky act to follow.
    And, as you say, if the nucleus of fans is not 'onside' and fully behind you...<yikes>

19. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

People say CH had a disaster second season with us, but he was 5 pts clear of the bottom with a few games to go, that's a better position then what we are in now. Technically he didn't relegate us :emoticon-0140-rofl:

But I do like the guy and hope he is promoted with Brighton and do well.

20. royalbarclayfan

He´s certainly not the same type as a Paul Lambert or an Alex Neil, who, although I´m sure, would want fan´s support, wouldn´t care less about any criticism, which would just bounce back off them. Hughton, I think was very affected and hurt by the fans turning against him, which also greatly affected how he dealt with the situation.

You couldn´t imagine him for example, as Neil did in the Newcastle game recently, runníng up to a fan after we scored, and giving him a mouthful back, to shut him up. Had he been able to, Hughton might just, in some illogical and incomprehensible way, have endeared himself to a few more fans.

canary-dave likes this.