1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Central defence

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by zogean_king, Oct 5, 2013.

1. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

If all our defenders were fit who would you partner with Bassong? Keep with turner or give Bennett a run? I'm kind of inclined to try the latter

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I think Bennett has shown that he deserves a run in the team, I like Tina but he's a bit hit and miss at the moment!

3. Pablofarmer

Pablofarmer Active Member

Considering his age difference I think Bennet has the potential to be better than them both.
    I would go for the 2 B's - Bassong and Bennet!

4. stilljaroldcanary

stilljaroldcanary Well-Known Member

Is Bassong likely to be fit for this weekend ?

5. Pablofarmer

Pablofarmer Active Member

CH said he had trained and would be assessed, so I think that's a maybe!

6. zogean_king

Yeah I think that on his day Turner can be very good, but Bennett has more potential and a bit more pace. I think he probably has to work on his distribution, but we said the same about Malkey!

7. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

For his age Bennett is very assured. I would like to see him given a run alongside Bass, though this would be a tad harsh on Turner.

8. zogean_king

Yeah I'm not saying Turner has done anything particularly wrong, just Bennett is challenging and wondered what others thought

9. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

Of the two I do feel Bennett is best he's much more comfortable with the ball at his feet and seems to have a improved every game he play at the end of last season.

I wouldn't want to risk Seb's recovery, especially on a game where we're not expecting points realistically.

10. zogean_king

Yes I agree with you on Bassong if we get points from this game it's a bonus

11. zogean_king

Saying that it could be quite a good time to be playing them

12. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly happy with any two of Bennett, Turner and Bassong tbh. Each have their strengths and each are decent centre-halves.

Ryan Bennett has by far the best distribution, Turner is the best tackler and best in the air and Bassong is the fastest and strongest.

13. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

According to Squawka, in the current season, Ryan Bennett actually has the lowest percentage pass accuracy of the three, and the highest average pass length:

Bassong: 79% / 20m
    Turner: 80% / 22m
    Bennett: 69% / 24m

Can't draw too much of a conclusion from this, since the team has been changing so much game to game, but it clearly doesn't support your contention that Bennett distributes the ball better than the other two.

[Edit] the figures for the 2012--13 season are:

Bassong: 78% / 22m
    Turner: 77% / 21m
    Bennett: 74% / 25m

<ok>

14. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Feck me! Is there nothing in the game that is not analysed to such a ridiculous length?
    If find it quite extraordinary and even feel a little sorry for these poor sods that compile them.

15. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Bassong if fit should always start. I would also go with Bennett over Turner, nothing against Turner, I think he does well when he plays, but I feel Bennett has more potential.

16. Dangerous Marsupial

Dangerous Marsupial Well-Known Member

I simply don't see how these stats are the way they are. Turner/Bassong don't actually launch it forwards that often themselves but Ryan Bennett always look for the short pass along the floor.

17. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

turner for me,better in the tackle and the air. i do rate bennet though,and think he has a bright future

18. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Well, I think the statement I've highlighted answers the question implicit in it. You are relying on your own eyes, brain and memory to build up an accurate picture of how three different players perform, not just in a single match but over a whole series of matches. OPTA assign three analysts to every match, one to the home team, one to the away team, and one to monitor the input of the others. These analysts are not just knowledgeable about football and specially trained to record standardised events in real time, they are also assigned to particular teams and "our" analysts will know our team and players better than most of us fans. OPTA are now the official provider of stats to the Premier League, and that means the clubs as well. You can be pretty sure that a lot goes into ensuring the highest accuracy possible. So when, as often, our first reaction is "I don't believe it", I think it is a good bet that what OPTA says is correct. (And talking of bets, the bookies invest a lot of faith in the stats collectors too -- and it doesn't seem to damage their balance sheets! <laugh>) <ok>