1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic careful what you wish for

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

With Town on the Hunt for a new manager let us hope they can find someone the fans and team can get behind, who has the tactical awareness and motivational skills to get the best out of the team, with the knowledge of this league to strengthen the squad as required.

we only have to look to Ipswich to see how things can go wrong where on paper Hurst looked the real deal ,there new manager Paul Lambert still waiting for his first win ,with one loss and two draws, whilst been five points adrift at the bottom whilst arch rivals Norwich are top .

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hurst seemed good at man management, fitness and organising a fairly tight ship in terms of defence and sneaking a winning goal. However the goals dried up in January and that problem was never fixed.

Askey didn't fix the "goals for" box either, seemed to have less fit players, but the set up seemed very similar plan.

The age old problem has been hanging around since Holt left. We need more goals! Admittedly that's not the whole loan but it don't half help matters.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Of the names bandied about in the Shropshire Star today I would go for Steven Pressley - a decent managerial record at our level despite the difficulties at Coventry. Kevin Nolan had an initial decent spell at Notts County but a disastrous run after that and I am not sure he knows the lower leagues well enough. Ainsworth is probably a one-club man but I would have reservations about him anyway (and the ghost goal still gives me nightmares). I think Hurst will go to Notts County and, just a thought, I wonder whether Doig can be prised away from him as I think he would make a good manager for us.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  4. Zenfootball2

Hurst and Doig seem a double act but you never know , the managers at Newport and Wrexham have been on the list . the newport fans forum is virtually saying about him what so many posted about Askey, i have no issue with ambitious managers from lower levels but they seem very inexperienced and i think we need someone who can continue to steady the ship as Coyne has done.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  5. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Doig reported as being interested in the job - cannot see myself why so many fans on B and A are against him because surely Hurst was primarily responsible for the way they left. Anyway after that really good performance last night at Salford perhaps we may not need a new manager. I know Salford are currently non-league but they were on a 19 game unbeaten run, had not lost at home in a year and had two forwards who are League 1 standard. The way we started the game was excellent, making use of our physical advantage and stopping the supply to Rooney. I also like the trust shown in Fejiri who is not the finished article but looks to be a goal poacher. If we can get Angol motivated they could be a really good partnership - well done to Danny and the lads.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  6. Zenfootball2

whoever we have next needs to bring the best out of the players and play them in positions were they play best, they will also need to sort out what is going on with Angol. as for Ferjiri anyone who saw him play on the wing on the pre season were he scared the hell out of defenders, just could not understand why it took so long for askey to play him, it seems Coyne was pushing for him to be played and ferjiri has rewarded that faith .
    we now face a very tough test against Wycombe.

Matster likes this.