1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Carabao Cup v Brighton

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BluefromBridgend, Aug 23, 2021.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Not got a clue what sort of a side either we or Brighton will put out.

However the ref is a Mr James Bell.

A novice. Only his second year doing EFL games but none above League 1.

Could be interesting.

clingo likes this.
  2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Can't see us getting promoted this term, so let's go for it. It's been 7 years since Wembley has had the pleasure of our presence :emoticon-0102-bigsm

I guess many will want to see us blood some more of the youngsters and normally I would agree but this season after Covid, let's get all old fashioned and try and win every game we play. So please Mick, strongest team and lets have a couple of cup runs.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  3. BluefromBridgend

In 33 games last season Mr Bell dished out 92 yellows and 5 reds. 3 cards per game.

I anticipate we will see a bit of colour from him tomorrow.

P.S. Agree with Clingo, let's put out teams capable of winning every game. No holding back.

Wemberley, Wemberley etc....

clingo likes this.
  4. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Would be good to see Colwill and Harris get a bit more game time.
    Dont want to see wholesale changes but Vaulks in the middle maybe.
    Need to rotate the odd player given the frequency of games.

clingo likes this.
  5. BluefromBridgend

Shane Duffy, another own goal and a red would be useful.

clingo likes this.
  6. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Hear you loud and clear remote but I'd like to see those guys get some time when we have a game under control. Yes we have to rotate but as it's unlikely we'll get in the promotion race or a relegation dog fight, let's play strong line ups in the early cup games at least. Always the option to change the policy if we do have a run and things are sticky in the league.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  7. ccfcremotesupport

For years we've either played what our managers perveive to be the strongest line-up or have made a raft of changes for cup games.
    Id support adding the likes of colwill and harris when we're in control but still feel a change or two a game gives players a break.
    We ran Moore into the ground last year.
    Same with subs. 20 or 30 mins not 5 or less.
    I dont want to see changes for change sake but we need more than 11 used to playing with each other and we cant run 11 into the ground.

I was surprised that MM brought Colwill AND Harris into the side on saturday. Perhaps either, or would have been a better choice.

8. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Big league game in 4 days time. Don’t want to have any injuries.
    MM hasn’t got much choice at centre back with McGuiness injured.
    Maybe for this game he’ll revert to 4-4-2?

Smithies
    Sang Nelson Flint/Morrison Bagan
    Ralls Bacuna Vaulks Murphy
    Colwill Collins

9. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Afternoon all.
    Well, I'm not sure what constitutes a "big league game" at this stage of the season and why the risk of injury is any higher in a cup game than a league game. Can't remember where I heard this but "a life lived in fear is a life half lived" springs to mind. We shouldn't be scared of losing to a local rival - it affords them too much of our valuable concern. Anyway, as I said earlier, I wasn't expecting many to agree with me on this.
    Thus endeth my first contribution of idealism and cliche for today :emoticon-0102-bigsm

10. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon clingo.

Unless anyone is carrying an injury, I don't see any reason not to play our strongest side (that's in Mick's opinion of course) for this fixture. OK, so it's Bristol City in the Championship on Saturday, but at this early stage of the season there should be no fatigue just 4 games in and the international break follows immediately after.

Maybe someone picking up an injury might be a concern, but that applies to every game we play and we've got a squad that supposedly covers for that. Arguably the most important thing is points in the league, but more game time together with some early rather than late substitutions would only improve the side's understanding as a team.

Depending upon what sort of side Potter puts out, we have the opportunity to test the side against a Premier League club. If we can get a decent performance let alone a result in that, it would be a great confidence booster going into next weekend. Going meekly out of the competition with a deliberately weekened side would do us no good at all.

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.

11. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Thank you Sparkey. That's pretty much my feelings too but you writ it a lot more betterer than wot I could have.
    <ok>

BluefromBridgend and Oldsparkey like this.
  12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I was going to quote Alan Hansen's infamous statement "you'll win nothing with kids", but chickened out...<laugh>

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  13. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

I know I'm an old fart now, but it does amuse me to think back to when we put out vifrtually the same team to play against Ebbw Vale in the Welsh Cup and then to play against Moscow Torpedo and Hamburg in the European Cup Winners Cup.
    Yeah, I know - it's a different game now.

Anyway. C'mon Mick. Pick a team to take on the 4th placed team in the Prem. :1980_boogie_down:

Oldsparkey likes this.
  14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Fair play clingo - you're doing your best, but it looks like everyone's waiting for the Wurzel game on Saturday....<laugh>

clingo likes this.
  15. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to rest Keifer and use Collins up top instead, leaving special K on the bench as a "just in case" and conceivably we could give Murphy a run out instead of Giles, but beyond that I don't think I'd be looking at any other changes really.

I'd keep Sang in given his good showing on Saturday in order to keep building his fitness and maybe Bacuna instead of Harris but I wouldn't want to see wholesale changes.

Momentum is a good thing and we've not lost in a while... in fact I think I saw we've only lost 3 in total under big Mick.

Oldsparkey and clingo like this.
  16. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Thanks Sparkey. Of course, the one thing I didn't mention about those games was the difference in crowd size. So perhaps I should be saying something like, c'mon let's put our strongest suppoprt out there at the CCS tonight. Unfortunately, I can't make it (I'm such a hypocrite <laugh>)

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Yep, I get that Brizz. <ok>

Both Giles and Bacuna only had a half an hour on the weekend so both should start. Collins seems a good shout to lead the line, but if Giles does start out wide, I'd be inclined to start Moore as well - he could put it on Kieffer's head from anywhere on the pitch.

Back 5 to stay the same for me, it's in the middle I see Mick tinkering. Both Vaulks and Wintle could be involved at the expense of Pack and Ralls - but I wouldn't.

clingo likes this.
  18. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="clingo, post: 15132093, member: 1008615"]I know I'm an old fart :1980_boogie_down:[/QUOTE]

Yay, Minxy told me this too! :emoticon-0103-cool:

19. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Yay, Minxy told me this too! :emoticon-0103-cool:[/QUOTE]
    Gawd. I thought you were gonna just leave it there Maskey <nahnah>:emoticon-0103-cool:
    But this is a football thread mate so you may be out of your depth. No offence intended:emoticon-0142-happy

20. ccfcremotesupport

Just got in after putting ear rings on last years ewe lambs.
    Dressing them up ready for tupping.
    Lippy next then good to go.

A couple changes for me but nothing drastic. Or maybe 4231. 2 of our fit CBs have been out for months. Maybe give one a breather.

Lets say back 5 the same.
    Harris to start with murphy either side of Keiffer. Vaulks and Pack in the middle

clingo likes this.