1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cambridge United v Sunderland – Saturday 27th November 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Nov 25, 2021.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Nov 27, 2021.
  1. Home win (CUFC)

15.7%
  2. Away win

66.7%
  3. Draw

17.6%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland visit Cambridge in the Skybet League One
    CUFCvSAFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland drew with Shrewsbury and Cambridge drew with Wigan.
    Sunderland threw away two points against struggling Shrewsbury Town despite playing for 45 minutes against ten men at the New Meadow. The Black Cats were 1-0 up at half-time but failed to take the three points when Dan Udoh volleyed in a loose ball in the penalty area.
    Lee Johnson announced that McGeady has a knee injury and could be out for 2 to 3 months, O'Nien may need surgery to his shoulder and Cirkin is scheduled for a hernia operation adding to an ever growing injury list.
    The last time Sunderland faced Cambridge was in the League Cup in 2002, with the lads winning 7-0. Cambridge finished mid-table in League Two that season, whilst Sunderland finished bottom of the Premier League.
    Cambridge are also ruing the loss of 2 points as they were 2-0 up against Wigan but conceded two goals in the last six minutes.
    Lee Johnson
    "There are a number of words that we could use to sum it up. We could use confidence, we could use complacency, we could use sloppiness. I feel that the key word is quality, it's as simple as that.
    "When you arrive in good areas, you have got to deliver dangerous balls, and you have to have movement.
    "That then leads to runs of attacks, that leads to first phase, second phase, and third phase, but we got to first phase, every now and again second phase, but then letting them off the hook with poor delivery, poor execution, or poor decision-making in the final third.
    "It's not easy to break down a team. The frustrating thing was the goal that we conceded and the sloppiness that led to that.
    "I could put 100 players on the pitch and if four defenders and four midfielders are in good positions, it makes it very hard to break that down. The width and the quality just wasn't there."
    Mark Bonner:
    "We are disappointed, very, we should take 3 points from that game. We were in control of it, we’ve seen out the majority of the threat. In the second half we had good control, but we had to get deeper because they force you to and we were running on empty a bit.
    "We are playing more games with fewer players than most teams at the moment, we were outstanding, I thought that they were outstanding and we got ourselves into a position of controlling that game.
    "To come away with a point, you would have taken it before the game, but it’s no consolation when you’ve got the game and it’s there for us and could do better when you concede. We know that, so yeah, we are frustrated
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    ROBERT LEWIS
    Assistant Referees: Matthew Wilkes and Lisa Rashid
    Fourth Official: Scott Williams

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Hoffmann, Dyce, Wright, Flanagan, Doyle, Gooch, Winchester, Neil, Pritchard, Stewart, Broadhead.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Patterson, Wilding, Xhemajli, Younger, Embleton, Wearne, Dajaku
    Injured: Willis, Huggins, Hume, Cirkin, McGeady, O'Nien, Burge.

Cambridge United: Mitov, Williams, Iredale, Digby, Brophy, Ironside, Smith, Dunk, Weir, Hoolahan, Masterson
    Subs: McKenzie-Lyle, Okedina, Davies, Tracey, Lankester, Knibbs, May.
    Injured: Jones

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    4/5 Cambridge 16/5 Draw 5/2

My two pence:
    A totally disappointing result on Tuesday after being in a great position at halftime, but the less said about it the better. We move on to Cambridge with Lee Johnson looking to fire up the squad to help to save his own skin. I just don't understand why LJ seemed to lay the blame firmly on Ross Stewart's shoulders rather than admit that he made a mistake with his first substitution.
    Cambridge played really well against Wigan on Tuesday and will be right up for this one in front of a sell-out crowd. Sadly I can't make it to the game, but for all of those loyal supporters going along - I hope that you have a great day out. :emoticon-0137-clapp
    I’m going for a 2-2 draw.

Live Stream (Overseas fans)
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  2. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

2-0 Cambridge

Johnson Out

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  3. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

4-0 Sunderland

Johnson IN

4. TopCat_

8-0 Cambridge

JOHNSON OUT

5. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Just reading those comments from Johnson would not in any way inspire me to put a shift in for him, speak in English for god’s sake.

6. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Awesome thread as always, I'm usually backing the lads 100% for a win but I'm struggling atm. Can't believe I'm saying it, but, I think I'd take a point, which is absolutely embarrassing tbh. We aren't playing well and they got a decent point against Wigan.

Makemstine Roger, Nig and RTB like this.
  7. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

This'll be Johnson on Friday night working his tactics out again

download.jpeg-1.jpg

8. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

cheers again RTB... (sometimes wonder why you keep putting the effort in mate but always appreciated)

here we go again, sorry lads but i need to see a performance improvement, us scoring some goals and good subs with the lads knowing exactly where they will play.

ok injuries mean we are back to square pegs so not the ideal situation but those square pegs do a damn good job, no reason or excuse for a bad performance unless the match day squad is fecked about with and players keep being moved around the pitch.

9. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Great thread again RTB. Comfortable win on Saturday.

RTB likes this.
  10. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Call me delusional but i actually think things will gel and we'll win 3-0

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

I hope for a win of course, but expect?

Injuries bedevil us, but let's pray LJ gets his team tinkering/selections right and the lads are up for it. Confidence could be low after Tuesday's performance.

RTB and smithy in nl like this.
  12. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

A must win game but don’t fancy us. 1-1, which lets be honest would be embarrassing and pathetic.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  13. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

HA'WAY THE LADS MACKEMS ATTACKEM

In all honesty I'll be shocked if we have improved back to the standard that we played earlier in the season.
    We seem to have just gone tits up. Was it a knock of confidence started after the 4-0 drubbing in the rain as someone mentioned ? Social media slaggings as Johnson mentioned ?, or maybe Johnson himself with his criticism or tactics ?
    Whatever the reason it needs putting right as soon as possible.
    For now I'll settle for a ground out win to keep in touch with promotion.

Screenshot_20211126-070911.png

U's head coach Mark Bonner.
    On Sunderland:

“I speak about it every week, about teams that were in the Premier League, or teams that have huge resources and championship level squads. It gets boring, there are about ten of them!

“Everyone says the toughest League One for years that I speak to, obviously I have got no reference point for that, you have to just go along with the people that have been in the league for a number of years say.

“Sunderland started the season brilliantly. They have had a run of games that perhaps has not gone as well as they would have hoped, but you look at the league table and they are still right in touch with the top, which is where they expect to be.

“They will come here expecting to win and needing the three points, because that is the expectation and demand of that club, really. We know on our day that we can be a match for any team.

“Really you have to strip away the badge of the opposition, it is 11v11 on the pitch. I think the days of us being a little bit in awe of teams in this league are gone - this is our level now.

“Our ambition is that we build this club and try and compete at the top end of the table with these teams over time, and that is what we want to do, but right now it is about just competing with them and going into games as confident as we can.

“We are looking forward to a full Abbey Stadium again, we have to make that work to our advantage. I think it will really crank up the atmosphere this week. I think their fans are probably the best away following that we will see in terms of noise, and I hope that really inspires us from minute nought to minute 90.

Cambridge is a city on the River Cam in eastern England, home to the prestigious University of Cambridge, dating back to 1209. University colleges include King’s, famed for its choir and towering Gothic chapel, as well as Trinity, founded by Henry VIII, and St John’s, with its 16th-century Great Gate. University museums have exhibits on archaeology and anthropology, polar exploration, the history of science and zoology.

Famous people born in Cambridge include.

Dave Gilmour, lead guitarist Pink Floyd.

Olivia Newton John, singer actress, Grease film in them tight black pants, wad, and her older sister Rona Newtown John, off Benny hill and UFO.

Richard Attenborough, lovey off Jurassic park and lots of black and white classics.

14. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Great thread as always RTB, much appreciated.

Heart says we will turn it around and batter them, head says it going to be another difficult to watch, frustrating game and a draw

15. DAPARKERSAFC2

DAPARKERSAFC2 Member

They like a draw at home. Unbeaten in their last 4. W.1 D.3 L.0

Bearing in mind that they are a better side than Shrewsbury (6 placer higher and 7 points more) who we failed to beat with a man advantage I genuinely can't see us winning this.

Pritchard sounded crestfallen in his post match interview and I picked up a hint that its not a happy dressing room.

They seen devoid of confidence and direction.

I'll go 1-1 which if it happens should hopefully wake the owners up and get them to swing the axe

16. TopCat_

Starting to think that Johnson spouts this management bullshit in the dressing room before the game and they come out on to the park utterly devoid of any instructions on how to play. I mean, they are professional footballers so should know how to ****ing pass, shoot and tackle, but the Head Coach is supposed to give them direction

Makemstine Roger and Whittylad like this.
  17. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Well done RTB , but I must say your team looks a bit like an LJ team to me, <yikes> but I recon this game will not be about the teams performance, but the managers, Lets hope we see the better side of streaky this time out, for all our sakes, and that the storm that's being forecast is purely weather related.
    OaU Jonny in or out. <ok>

18. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Looks like an early press conference today...

19. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

@Phil__Smith
    LJ says #SAFC have got 'challenges' in the injury department.

Says he has an injury list of 7-8 players for the Cambridge game

20. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Hopefully KLD will actually spend money on players, then. Everybody in this league brings in free transfers and loans but proven quality will cost you. If he wants us out this league, he needs to open his wallet.